Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Drop-In Question
DBug 04:04 AM 01-24-2011
I have one recurring drop-in because of his parents variable schedules. Dc mom calls about a week in advance to save a spot, and so far I've been saving those days for her. Thing is, quite often she'll cancel the day of, or like today, call in sick. In the meantime, I've turned down other drop-ins. My contracted parents pay full-rate for absent days and half-rate for sick days. I'm considering implementing this for drop-ins, but I'm not sure how to go about it. Does anybody else do that? Or do you just call it a loss?

I'm just not sure how I'd go about collecting on a drop-in if they call in sick and then I don't see them for another couple of weeks. What do you guys do?

I guess my peripheral issue is that this drop-in had prepaid for two days this week. She wants to carry the credit over for a few weeks until the next time her little guy comes. I told her I'd do it this time since I don't have a policy on it yet. I'm not sure I'm happy with that, but I'm not sure it's fair to charge her for sick days since she hasn't signed a contract. What would be fair to do?
dEHmom 04:26 AM 01-24-2011
I have the same thing today...
DCG is casual because of varying schedule. Mom is prego, and often ill.
She emailed me at 4:30am to say that she has been up all night with either food poisoning or stomach bug. Has lots to do today, so will be late morning if at all.

My issue, by the time I check emails, I've already had a cup of coffee. So no back to bed at 6am.

I've had to discuss this with her before. And she completely understood.

I don't have "drop in" I have casual. I tell her that you are paying for "BOOKED DAYS". If you book me monday tuesday wednesday, and cancel on monday for the week, you pay me monday and tuesday.
If you call me on saturday night and say I am keep _____ home because _____ then I will not charge you.

Basically, If I have enough notice that I can fill the spots, then fine. It comes down to you deciding if it's short notice or not.
boysx5 04:30 AM 01-24-2011
that was the reason I stopped doing drop in care now I would still have spots because I only have six children and can have eight but got tired of them taking advantage of me so I just said no more and wont' go back to doing it. I had one mom who if she could have cut the penney in half would have.
MarinaVanessa 08:37 AM 01-24-2011
I would just stop taking payments in advance for drop-in clients. Since you didn't have a policy about this previously then I understand that you'll have to credit it for future days. If it were me, the next time she came in I would let her use a day's worth of her $ and if there was $ left I would return it to her and explain that I will no longer be taking pre-payments unless she agreed to specify the date and if she did not come that day then she would not be getting a refund. She needs to understand that you are losing $ by her doing this. Drop-in is when a client calls to see if there is availability and is not guaranteed. She is getting the benefit of a contracted client without all of the red-tape.

I say she either pays when you have availability each day at drop-off, she can pre-pay for specific days and times and loses her $ or at least a portion of it if her child doesn't attend or she can pay a weekly PT rate for specific days and scheduled hours.

I charge a $10 fee for pre-paid drop-in cancelations with less than 24 hours notice and they lose their whole fee if they pull a no-call/no-show or cancel after their reserved start time. I'm not going to lose money because of something that I have no control over.
AfterSchoolMom 08:40 AM 01-24-2011
I'd go the opposite way - why not have them pay up front, and make it nonrefundable? You can have a "drop in contract" that they sign stating that they've paid and are aware that if they cancel they will not be getting a refund.
lvt77 09:19 AM 01-24-2011
here is what I do for drop in..

I have the DCP decide how often they think they will use the drop in care.. I then have them create a retainer for about $150.00, or at least two weeks worth of pay based on the days they think they will use. They pay upfront before kid starts. I then use excel spreadsheet to track every time the child uses the DC and subtract money from the retainer. Sign in sign out log for this is a must. They also must use the DC at least once a week for me to hold the spots for them.
I require a 24hr advance cancellation or no show fee to avoid full charge. With having the retainer, I already have the money too.
When the retainer account gets low, I email the spread sheet to DCP and ask them to replenish the account. If there is no money in the Acct. the child can not come until there is enough in there to cover at least 2 prepaid weeks.

Hope I explained this well….lol
dEHmom 09:22 AM 01-24-2011
Originally Posted by lvt77:
here is what I do for drop in..

I have the DCP decide how often they think they will use the drop in care.. I then have them create a retainer for about $150.00, or at least two weeks worth of pay based on the days they think they will use. They pay upfront before kid starts. I then use excel spreadsheet to track every time the child uses the DC and subtract money from the retainer. Sign in sign out log for this is a must. They also must use the DC at least once a week for me to hold the spots for them.
I require a 24hr advance cancellation or no show fee to avoid full charge. With having the retainer, I already have the money too.
When the retainer account gets low, I email the spread sheet to DCP and ask them to replenish the account. If there is no money in the Acct. the child can not come until there is enough in there to cover at least 2 prepaid weeks.

Hope I explained this well….lol
That's a great method!
Tags:drop in care
Reply Up