Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Announcing My Pregnancy to DCP
gelbesonn 11:10 AM 09-14-2011
We are announcing my pg to DH's family this weekend (my family has known for a while) and I want to announce it to my DCPs soon after. I am going to include my plan for mat.leave and thereafter. But then there are some other things that I also need to tell the DCP (days off next month, etc). Should I add everything together?
Also, I sort of have a different plan for different families. ex. After baby is born (end of April) I won't be offering SA care until beginning of next school year. I will also have to term one of the infants once my baby is here, as I will be over infant numbers, and it doesn't make sense financially to hire a helper. Should I write each parent their own letter (I have 5 families), or just write one letter with all the info for everyone to see?

Should my main announcement be in writing? or should I tell the parents in person first and tell them to expect a letter from me?? (I was planning on writing an email, or should I print it out?)
Ugh, I am starting to over think this.
Anyone have any examples of letters I can use?
Springdaze 06:45 AM 09-15-2011
I had to do this 6 years ago. MY BABY!!! sorry! anyway, I would make sure you had a plan before you say anything. I would tell them in person and then give them a list of dates. When I was pg, I hired a helper to cover when I wasnt there for appts and then I also had someone if I went early or heavens to betsy during daycare hours! (imagine the lesson there!)

She also was there for a few days after I had him and stayed for a few weeks after so I could kinda work part time, but still be in the house.

I think its better to be out a little money for a few months than inconvenience people or make them stress enough to just go somewhere else. Let them know you have it all worked out.

Congrats and good luck!
nannyde 06:50 AM 09-15-2011
IMHO it's WAY too early to tell them. I would wait until you HAVE to tell them before you say a word. You will be met with congratulations and then when they are in your driveway they are going to be doing the math of how this affects them and their kid.

Best to postpone that so the time between when they know and when the baby is born is as little as possible.

That's just my opinion....
littlemommy 07:26 AM 09-15-2011
I announced my pregnancy when I was about 2 months along to a couple families. One family I told during the interview, and they said it would be no problem for them to figure out care during my maternity leave. I have one mom who keeps asking me how long I think I'll be taking. She does not have back up care and threw a fit yesterday when I told her we're taking a family vacation in October.

I'm planning on taking a short maternity leave as of right now. I think it will be better for everyone (including my 2 year old) to get back in the swing of things sooner rather than later. My recovery with my son was very quick and easy, but I know every pregnancy and birth is different.
gelbesonn 10:38 AM 09-19-2011
Thanks!
Although it's hard for me to keep a secret like this, I am starting to think that I will wait a little bit. We still haven't told my ILs and since we'd like to do it in person, it won't be for at LEAST another 2 weeks. It's forcing me to be patient!

As of right now, I am planning on taking at least 8 weeks off. I had a med free birth with DS and a quick recovery, but my family lives OOT and I don't want to worry about having DCKs in the house with other guests. Taking time off is definitely nothing that I will regret. If I have to start over with getting clients, then that's how it works.

Nannyde, you are so right though, if I were a DCP, that is definitely what I would be thinking. Thankfully I only have 2 kids in the AM and a reliable sub, so I can take care of any dr appts that I have in the morning and people won't start wondering too soon.
KEG123 12:57 PM 09-19-2011
I didn't tell anyone I was pg until 12 weeks. Especially since I've had a prior loss.
cheerfuldom 01:21 PM 09-19-2011
I posted a huge response that got deleted some how....in a nutshell, do what is best and easiest for you! You don't HAVE to tell them right now and if you do, you run the risk of losing kids now. Let the parents see (down the road when you do tell) that there is nothing to worry about and everything is running smoothly. You still have plenty of time to give them enough notice to have backup for your maternity leave.
Tags:contract - revisions, maternity leave letter, notice of pregnancy, termination
Reply Up