Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>No I Didn't!!!
Hunni Bee 10:59 AM 02-25-2020
Hi guys.

I'm working with this current group of kiddos to work conflicts out on their own, rather than coming to tell me so much. They're doing pretty good and even go get the talking stick on their own.

I have one 5yo, however, who just insists over and over "I didn't do/say that". Even if I saw him or have evidence he did. He's not in trouble about these things, just in order to take out a problem you have to admit you did it lol. I could show him a video of himself doing it and he'd still say he didn't.

Any suggestions on how to get him past this? He'll go to tears yelling that he didn't do it when he knows he did. He's very verbal and high cognitive functioning so there's no issue of him not understanding, and he understands truth from lie. I just hate handing out a consequence when he could have just talked it out.
Faith is a gift too 12:16 PM 02-25-2020
Is he a perfectionist? Is it hard for him to admit to his mistakes, or to say sorry to his friends? Sometimes talking about how we all make mistakes and what the right thing is to do when we make them helps. Reinforcing it by asking them afterwards how it made their friend feel and/or how it made them feel to do the right thing seems to help.
Cat Herder 12:18 PM 02-25-2020
Check out Julia Cook books.

Lying Up a Storm or But It's Not My Fault!.

There are free themes based on her books online as well.

https://www.amazon.com/Lying-Up-Stor...TF0WKA5XS9K1CS
Hunni Bee 01:16 PM 02-25-2020
Originally Posted by Faith is a gift too:
Is he a perfectionist? Is it hard for him to admit to his mistakes, or to say sorry to his friends? Sometimes talking about how we all make mistakes and what the right thing is to do when we make them helps. Reinforcing it by asking them afterwards how it made their friend feel and/or how it made them feel to do the right thing seems to help.
That sounds like him. Thank you!
Unregistered 03:28 PM 03-03-2020
My almost 7 year old does this sometimes. For whatever reason they think they can still get away with it.
Tags:lying
Reply Up