Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>DCG Dropped Off With Upset Tummy!
legomom922 03:51 AM 04-06-2011
DCG 3 was dropped off this am with what her mom toldme was a tummy ache..So I layed her down in my bed, and 10 minutes later she was puking up a storm! All over everything. I texted Mom and told her that if this happened again today, she would have to come get her. Mom says she has no sick time left he and already has a warning from work, an dif she leaves, she will get fired...I believe her becauze I know all about her warnings..So then the dad calls me and say he started a new job and he cant leave either and hes working 30 miles away today.

She doesnt have a fever and is now sleeping soundly. So what should i do? If she doesnt have a fever should i let her stay?

Also how do I clean up my pillows? Any helpful tips? They reek of puke!
AfterSchoolMom 03:57 AM 04-06-2011
They don't have anyone else that can come and get her? What about their emergency contacts? If there's any way at all for her to leave, she should.

If you have regular bed pillows, you can wash them in the washer on gentle. If you have feather pillows, throw them away and get new ones.

Sorry that you have to deal with this today! Maybe you can charge them an "inconvenience fee" for dealing with vomit cleanup all day?
momofboys 04:02 AM 04-06-2011
I'm sorry about the puking! Ughhhhhh!!! Hugs to you! They need to make other arrangements. . . I sure would not care for an ill child & I wouldn't have told them "if it happens again". IMO one throw up constitutes a pick up. Don't they have emergency back-ups?
kidkair 04:21 AM 04-06-2011
I'd send the kid home and if they started telling me they can't I'd tell them it's not my problem they need to find a way to take her home.

You can wash feather pillows just like normal pillows I do it with mine. Put some vinegar in the wash cycle rather than bleach and the smell should come out within a wash or two. If you have feather pillows they do take awhile to dry and tossing some tennis balls in the dryer with them helps beat them into fluffy again.
cheerfuldom 04:25 AM 04-06-2011
I would have insisted they come get her and I never would have let her lay in my bed in the first place. Either you make them or someone come get her or you put up with her and any sickness for the next several months as nothing is going to change anytime soon with their job situation. I feel bad for the parent but not bad enough to let a sick kid stay in the house and most likely, get everyone else including you sick.
nannyde 04:32 AM 04-06-2011
They KNEW that they don't have any way to care for their child when they are sick and brought the kid to you?????????? Whether they knew the kid was sick or not... they shouldn't bring her to you on a WELL day if they know they don't have anyone to care for her should she get sick. You do NOT take your child into public knowing that you have NO way to be able to provide care for the child if the child is sick.

It's not between you and them. They have to care for their sick child. It's a requirement as a parent. If they loose their job they loose their job. That doesn't have anything to do with today.

Tell them to come now or get someone to come now.

If they have no way to care for their sick child when they are at work then they can't work. It's that simple. It doesn't have anything to do with daycare. This is a fundamental parental responsibility.
legomom922 05:06 AM 04-06-2011
So DCM has her Mom coming to get DCG, but it won't be until 11am, because she lives about 1/2 away and needs to go to work, so she will pick her up on the way and then drop her off to her moms house who is 80 yrs old! Oh that poor woman..I can't imagine being 80, and dealing with a sick 3 yr old...But at least she will be leaving here, even though it's alot later that I would have liked...

How much vinegar do I put in the wash for these pillows? They are down pillows..

I put her in my bed because thats where she always sleeps. I don't have an extra room or bed, or anywheres else to put her, and she out grew the PNP where I used to put her.
MG&Lsmom 05:08 AM 04-06-2011
Ewww gross. So sorry you're now doing extra work cleaning up everything.

I wouldn't let her stay either, poor kid needs her parents.

I wonder what protection under FMLA the parents have. Maybe even your state labor board could have some answers for you. Not that their companies can't come up with some other excuse to fire them, but I'm pretty sure that firing for leaving to tend to a sick dependent would be wrongful dismissal under FMLA. I'm sure this is a common issue all providers and parents run into. I think I'm going to research this a bit more. Once upon a time I studied HR law as part of my MBA. This is exactly the kind of work I thought I'd eventually do - home/work balance counseling. It'd be nice to be armed with some evidence that these practices by employers are illegal.
cheerfuldom 05:17 AM 04-06-2011
do you not have a policy about how quickly kids need to be picked up. Mine is 1 hour max. By 11, you will probably have a lot more throw up to deal with and by then, germs will likely be spread quite a bit. As for the laundry, I always have good luck with Oxi clean for nasty laundry.
momofboys 05:19 AM 04-06-2011
I think the tummy thing must be catching. A SA girl I watch came in this morning (Arrival at 6:30 am) complaining of a tummy ache (After dad left of course). She slept on my couch for an hr but ate breakfast fine so I was not too concerned. I sent her to school as she didn't complain much/had no fever/no throw up, etc. BUT I called DCD to warn him she wasn't feeling well & that the school may call them & guess what. . . . 2 min ago HE called me. Let me guess, the school has already called him & he probably wants ME to pick her up. NO CAN DO! This could get interesting!
countrymom 05:19 AM 04-06-2011
for puke pillows, its cheaper and easier to buy new pillows. When i go to ikea they usually sell them for 1.99 so I stock up. Acually at 80 yrs old, you would be amazed how many are young looking and very active, its amazing.
texascare 05:22 AM 04-06-2011
Keep her seperated from everyone else and LYSOL everything!
SilverSabre25 05:23 AM 04-06-2011
Sucks that you have to deal with that. Blech...I don't even like dealing with my OWN kid's vomit, let alone someone else's! Yes, I am very lucky that none of my dcks have vomited on my watch (yet...but let's keep it that way, eh Murphy?). Heck, I hate even my own vomit.

For the pillows, I would probably just buy new ones. If it was one of my own family members, I *might* wash them...but most likely, I would just pitch 'em and get new. For someone else's vomit? DEFINITELY I would pitch and get new. That's just yucky to me.
nannyde 05:37 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by legomom922:
So DCM has her Mom coming to get DCG, but it won't be until 11am, because she lives about 1/2 away and needs to go to work, so she will pick her up on the way and then drop her off to her moms house who is 80 yrs old! Oh that poor woman..I can't imagine being 80, and dealing with a sick 3 yr old...But at least she will be leaving here, even though it's alot later that I would have liked...

How much vinegar do I put in the wash for these pillows? They are down pillows..

I put her in my bed because thats where she always sleeps. I don't have an extra room or bed, or anywheres else to put her, and she out grew the PNP where I used to put her.
That would be completely unacceptable to me. I wouldn't keep a child in my home that doesn't have care when they are ill. It's just not safe. I would just sit them down and tell them that I understood their work delema but I can't have a child in my home who doesn't have access to proper care and supervision for illnesses. I'm a well child day care and am not allowed to have ill children on site. That's a different registration here and I don't qualify for it.

It's not personal.. it's just not a service I can offer.
Lilbutterflie 05:45 AM 04-06-2011
I hate that they are making this YOUR problem. I always try to be understanding when it comes to looking at things with a parent's perspective; but I have no sympathy for a parent who is not willing to come pick up their sick child! It makes me so angry!

My policy is on the very first vomit I call the parent/s. If I cannot reach either parent, I wait 20 minutes to hear back from them. If I still have not gotten a hold of one of them after 20 minutes, I start calling emergency contacts. From the time I have contacted someone, they have 45 minutes to pick them up. Then I start charging late fees ($5 for every 10 min late).

As far as the pillows, I vote buy new ones.
SandeeAR 08:08 AM 04-06-2011
I would buy new pillows and send the parents a bill.
missnikki 08:12 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by SandeeAR:
I would buy new pillows and send the parents a bill.
And give them the dirty ones.
daycare 08:19 AM 04-06-2011
this is where I have gotten on this subject. A sick child is not my responsibility. I only offer services to well children. If the parents have work issues, also not my problem. If they don't have back up care, also not my problem.

If there are rules in your PHB ex: sick chilldren must be picked up within one hour, I would start charging them a sick fee.

I have been suckered by families of sick kids way way way too many times...
PitterPatter 10:18 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by MG&Lsmom:
Ewww gross. So sorry you're now doing extra work cleaning up everything.

I wouldn't let her stay either, poor kid needs her parents.

I wonder what protection under FMLA the parents have. Maybe even your state labor board could have some answers for you. Not that their companies can't come up with some other excuse to fire them, but I'm pretty sure that firing for leaving to tend to a sick dependent would be wrongful dismissal under FMLA. I'm sure this is a common issue all providers and parents run into. I think I'm going to research this a bit more. Once upon a time I studied HR law as part of my MBA. This is exactly the kind of work I thought I'd eventually do - home/work balance counseling. It'd be nice to be armed with some evidence that these practices by employers are illegal.

I have the same problem I just posted about actually. My DCM brings her kids sick and usually I dont know it til later as she has given tylenol etc to mask the fever. When it rises she usually says she doesnt have anyone. She has 6 alternate emergency backups but they are all working, busy, sorry can't do it etc. So he ends up staying.

I asked her about FMLA. She said it can only be used if there is a serious prolonged illness with her child that requires appointments and up keep etc. Since he only has common viruses or colds from time to time it wouldn't cover it. She would remind me "If I lose my job u lose yours too" I only had the 1 kid at the time.

PLEASE let me know if u find out otherwise and I would love to bust her in another lie! I feel bad for her single mom and all but sometimes I know she takes advantage. TIA!!
kidkair 10:45 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by legomom922:
I put in 1/4 cup with my down pillows.
cheerfuldom 11:06 AM 04-06-2011
so did they ever show up?
MG&Lsmom 11:09 AM 04-06-2011
I dug through some labor law stuff online. Specific to NY where the OP is from, there is NO protection to employees for common illness in dependents requiring missing working hours. NY State law provides no additional protection beyond FMLA for chronic illness requiring up keep as pp mentioned. Instead it reverts to a company's policy as stated in either an employment contract or employee handbook. It makes no provisions if the topic is not covered in either. NY State is an employee at will state meaning they can hire or fire for any reason unless it's related to workman's comp, disability, or discrimination of gender, orientation etc.

I'm going to keep digging for my own state and others. I'll start a new thread.
mac60 11:15 AM 04-06-2011
Oh gross. If your child pukes you better be on your way soon here. I have never and would never put a child to sleep on a bed in my home, well or sick.
squareone 11:38 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by mac60:
I have never and would never put a child to sleep on a bed in my home, well or sick.
Ditto. I don't use my children's beds for daycare either even though my state allows us to. I don't want daycare germs in the private areas of my home. I don't allow "street clothes" on or in the bed.

Even in the smallest of homes, there is enough space for a nap mat on the floor.
nannyde 11:43 AM 04-06-2011
Originally Posted by cheerfuldom:
so did they ever show up?
Buyer beware of the "we'll be there by eleven". VERY often this is a ploy to get as close to naptime as possible especially when they have someone else receiving the kid. The way they get them hooked is to say "she will go right down for a nap when she gets there and I'll be there when nap is over. You just have to watch her while she sleeps".

Then they push the pick up time to as close to twelve p.m. as they can. They can't leave... they got a phone call right before they were leaving... traffic is bad... boss came in and insisted on a meeting.... They will push it to the point where they know the kid usually goes down.

If they are going to receive the kid they want to just take them home and put them down. Any stall during the morning hours can be purposeful to keep the kid at your house as many awake hours as possible to get their moneys worth for that day and to get it so the kid goes to bed right after pick up.
cheerfuldom 11:49 AM 04-06-2011
thats what I was thinking! Thats why i have a one hour pickup policy because it is a reasonable but firm amount of time so there isn't the million explanations about why nothing can happen until such and such a time.
Tags:pick up policy, stomach flu, upset stomach
Reply Up