Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>California Providers
Crystal 07:52 AM 07-31-2013
I got a call from my licensing rep. and a letter in the mail informing me that Sacramento County will no longer have a county Family Child Care Licensing Unit and that all FCCP are being transferred over to one State Agency that handles the center licensing. We have been issued new License Numbers and we have to be re-fingerprinted/background checked.

I am curious if this is going to happen statewide and wonder if any of you have heard anything about this.

I am hoping that it is going statewide, because we would then FINALLY have (hopefully) a more streamlined process and regs will be enforced consistently statewide, rather that county by county.
KBCsMommy 07:58 AM 07-31-2013
Oh wow! I'm in central California and I haven't received anything. I will keep an eye out though.
snbauser 08:01 AM 07-31-2013
I'm not in CA anymore. But I wanted to wish you luck. Here in NC our licensing is statewide but there still is no consistency in the understanding and enforcement of the rules from licenser to licenser.
mom2many 12:10 PM 07-31-2013
Santa Clara Co has not sent anything out about any changes. I've not heard a thing!
daycare 12:15 PM 07-31-2013
I am in the bay area and have not heard anything about it....
Michelle 12:38 PM 07-31-2013
nope... no notice at all
I hope they can make things better and safer for kids!
That's for sure.
But being fingerprinted again... I don't think is right!
daycare 12:39 PM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by Michelle:
nope... no notice at all
I hope they can make things better and safer for kids!
That's for sure.
But being fingerprinted again... I don't think is right!
why not? I have not been finger printed in 7 years.......I think it should be more often.....
Margarete 12:55 PM 07-31-2013
I'm in Sacramento county, California and in the process of getting licensed, (I've been licensed exempt for a couple of years) and haven't seen anything yet. I'm going to be really annoyed if I have to get everyone in the house background checked again, and having to wait longer to get licensed... I just paid out for that last month, on top of getting background checked myself 2 other times this year, one for my child development permit, and one for trustline for the food program. So I've paid out for 5 fingerprinting background checks this year... I really hope I don't have to do more.
Crystal 01:45 PM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by Margarete:
I'm in Sacramento county, California and in the process of getting licensed, (I've been licensed exempt for a couple of years) and haven't seen anything yet. I'm going to be really annoyed if I have to get everyone in the house background checked again, and having to wait longer to get licensed... I just paid out for that last month, on top of getting background checked myself 2 other times this year, one for my child development permit, and one for trustline for the food program. So I've paid out for 5 fingerprinting background checks this year... I really hope I don't have to do more.
This goes in to effect October 1st. We have to be re-fingerprinted between August 1st and September 15th. If you were fingerprinted as a Family Child Care Home, you and all others over 18 in your home, as well as any assistants will have to be re-fingerprinted, because Community Care Licensing has a different background check system than the Department of Health and Human Services. You will NOT have to pay for it though. They are doing it for free.

Have you been assigned a licensing analyst yet? If so, I'd contact her/him and explain your concerns. I hope this doesn't hold up the process for you. My analyst did say that the entire background check process is a mess right now because of this.

Where in Sacramento County are you?
Michelle 01:48 PM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by daycare:
why not? I have not been finger printed in 7 years.......I think it should be more often.....
because you only need to have this done once and I have about 15 people that are cleared for my facility ...family/assistants/etc. and it's expensive and a hassle

OK I just read that Crystal said we won't be charged..
I guess we will do this if we don't have a choice and hopefully it will make everything better and safer for kids.
CrackerJacks 02:01 PM 07-31-2013
In San Mateo County and haven't heard of anything.
e.j. 02:14 PM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by snbauser:
Here in NC our licensing is statewide but there still is no consistency in the understanding and enforcement of the rules from licenser to licenser.
I'm in MA and was thinking the same thing!
earlystart 04:52 PM 07-31-2013
In San Diego county and haven't heard anything yet. Finding time to get fingerprinted for everyone again sounds like a pain in the butt, but what can you do. I'm curious why they'd need to physically capture our fingerprints again if they used the Livescan and Trustline system, you'd think they can reprocess them to re-check everything, but why get the fingerprints again? Oh well!
Crystal 04:58 PM 07-31-2013
I do not know if this is going to be statewide or not. I just know that it IS happening in Sacramento. I am definitely interested in knowing if it will be statewide though.
Starburst 05:20 PM 07-31-2013
That's really weird considering Sacramento is the capital, where is the state agency office at?
Unregistered 05:22 PM 07-31-2013
In la county haven't heard a thing about it.
Crystal 06:11 PM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by Starburst:
That's really weird considering Sacramento is the capital, where is the state agency office at?
It will now be with the California Dept. of Social Services Community Care Licensing Division - River City Regional Office in Sacramento. This office used to do Center licensing only, for the entire region.

Formerly, FCC was also with the dept. of social services, but it was a completely separate department that handled only FCC in Sacramento County. They are now merging and one department will handle all of the FCC in the region instead of just the county.

I wonder if this will only be Sacramento County and it is just a matter of consolidating departments.
sharlan 06:31 PM 07-31-2013
Haven't heard anything in San Bernardino Cty. I just sent in my license fee for the next year.
mom2many 08:44 PM 07-31-2013
Originally Posted by Crystal:
It will now be with the California Dept. of Social Services Community Care Licensing Division - River City Regional Office in Sacramento. This office used to do Center licensing only, for the entire region.

Formerly, FCC was also with the dept. of social services, but it was a completely separate department that handled only FCC in Sacramento County. They are now merging and one department will handle all of the FCC in the region instead of just the county.

I wonder if this will only be Sacramento County and it is just a matter of consolidating departments.
My first thought was that they were merely consolidating, since it appeared no one else was being affected at this time. However, this could just be the beginning of something changing statewide eventually and Sacramento was just the first to have this change implemented at this time.

CA most definitely needs some MAJOR changes and if the Star program is going to be put into affect, they had better figure out a way to be more cohesive statewide...let alone nationwide! There are NO consistencies with the regs in CA, so maybe having one dept handle all FCC, there will be less issues with this. Geez, I sure hope it helps.......
Margarete 10:51 PM 07-31-2013
I'm in the city of Sacramento, north of downtown. I don't know if I've been assigned anyone yet. I turned in my application, got the fingerprint paperwork back from them, and then turned in about a month ago... and haven't heard anything since. Sounds like I'm going to have to redo this, and probably delay things if it has to be re-done in the next month and a half. They don't even schedule the first house check till background checks are done.

Not have to pay for fingerprinting? I'm thinking it's probably they are not going to charge for the background check, but we will still have to pay the company doing the fingerprinting... I know I had 2 different charges for this one, licensing, and the fingerprinting agency.
Crystal 07:55 AM 08-01-2013
I'm in the city of Sacramento, north of downtown. I don't know if I've been assigned anyone yet. I turned in my application, got the fingerprint paperwork back from them, and then turned in about a month ago... and haven't heard anything since. Sounds like I'm going to have to redo this, and probably delay things if it has to be re-done in the next month and a half. They don't even schedule the first house check till background checks are done.

Not have to pay for fingerprinting? I'm thinking it's probably they are not going to charge for the background check, but we will still have to pay the company doing the fingerprinting... I know I had 2 different charges for this one, licensing, and the fingerprinting agency.
The fee you paid to licensing is for your actual license, not the background check. The fee you pay when you get live-scanned is for both the fingerprinting and the background check.

The letter I received has a billing number to provide when I get fingerprinted, that overs the cost of the service and background check with no fee to the provider. It is good for every person over 18 that resides in the home and any adult assistants. They also provide a list of places to go in the county to have it done.
Margarete 08:17 PM 08-01-2013
Yes the live scanned fees is what I was referring to. I paid $25 for each fingerprinting and another $32 for the 'background check' part. So I'm guessing I will still have to pay the fingerprinting fee for everyone if I have to do it again. I wonder when I will see anything, or if there is someone I can call to speed up the process. I'm more concerned about the slow down then the fees (but that's annoying too). I was hoping to start enrolling a few more kids this fall
Crystal 06:41 AM 08-02-2013
Yes the live scanned fees is what I was referring to. I paid $25 for each fingerprinting and another $32 for the 'background check' part. So I'm guessing I will still have to pay the fingerprinting fee for everyone if I have to do it again. I wonder when I will see anything, or if there is someone I can call to speed up the process. I'm more concerned about the slow down then the fees (but that's annoying too). I was hoping to start enrolling a few more kids this fall
I would call. Because you are not licensed yet, they may have overlooked you. My sil had her son fingerprinted in May and still has not heard back about his background check. My licensing analyst said that the whole background check process is a "huge mess" right now. You still will not have to pay the fees, I assure you

So, yes, call......lest they drop the ball and not get you licensed.
Margarete 11:26 AM 09-26-2013
Yay! I have my license now, just before the Sacramento county office closes. Monday is their last day, and they only have 4 people in their office now, and they are usually out on visits. I was afraid I was going to get transferred to the state as 'unlicensed' and have to start all over (I put my application in back in May).
I still have to get background checked again by the state, but now at least I can breath a sigh of relief.
Blackcat31 11:27 AM 09-26-2013
Yay! I have my license now, just before the Sacramento county office closes. Monday is their last day, and they only have 4 people in their office now, and they are usually out on visits. I was afraid I was going to get transferred to the state as 'unlicensed' and have to start all over (I put my application in back in May).
I still have to get background checked again by the state, but now at least I can breath a sigh of relief.
Congratulations!!
TwinKristi 11:55 AM 09-26-2013
I haven't heard anything about this at all. I'm not sure why they would need to have you re-fingerprinted? If they already have them (dh & I were cleared on a state and federal level) why not just re-run them and save that money? I have a place just 2 blocks away but since my dh was just scanned last year I don't know why we'd have to redo them? I also didn't have to have them done separately for childcare and the food program. They just checked my LiveScan info on their end and that was it. The only problem I ran into during licensing was that my LiveScan was connected to another licensed provider who I used to Sub for and I had to transfer my prints from her # to my #.
Unregistered 01:09 PM 09-26-2013
Don't stress. This is only happening in Sacramento County.
Tags:california, california - regulations
Reply Up