Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Eating Before Arriving
Country Kids 10:36 AM 11-13-2017
I know it on here probably somewhere but wanted to ask real quick.

What do you do for children that parents feed them, even if a little bit but since your on the food program, you still have to feed them.

You've let the parents know that breakfast is very soon after arriving but they still have to give them something-pancakes, hot chocolate, cake pops, scrambled eggs, protein shakes, etc.

Child won't eat very much variety to begin with so trying to instill good eating but when they come in full it is hard.

Ideas?
storybookending 11:09 AM 11-13-2017
Originally Posted by Country Kids:

What do you do for children that parents feed them, even if a little bit but since your on the food program, you still have to feed them.

You've let the parents know that breakfast is very soon after arriving but they still have to give them something-pancakes, hot chocolate, cake pops, scrambled eggs, protein shakes, etc.

Child won't eat very much variety to begin with so trying to instill good eating but when they come in full it is hard.

Ideas?
I don’t serve breakfast for this reason. Due to the hours I’m open I only need to serve one meal and two snacks so that is what I do. I also don’t participate in the food program but as long as it’s offered can’t you count it? I wouldn’t worry about what they eat or don’t eat, as long as I serve the required components I’m good for licensing. It doesn’t matter if they actually eat it or not.
Blackcat31 11:09 AM 11-13-2017

Ideas?
You only need to offer.

You can't force them to eat.
AmyKidsCo 12:17 PM 11-13-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
You only need to offer.

You can't force them to eat.

I do a later breakfast and encourage parents to give their children a snack before dropping off. I have to offer food every 3 hours but only get reimbursed for 3 meals so having a later breakfast eliminates AM snack so I get reimbursed for every meal I provide. Plus the children aren't as hangry when they arrive.
midaycare 12:52 PM 11-13-2017
I have the same issue. For this reason breakfast is the bare minimum. I have 4 that come for breakfast and 2 that arrive slightly before am snack. Most kids eat alot before they come. I stopped serving so much because of all the waste.
ColorfulSunburst 05:30 PM 11-13-2017
we have breakfast at 9 am. No issues.
If I provide breakfast at 8 am I would have some problem. at 9am all of them are hungry and have great appetite.
rosieteddy 07:31 PM 11-13-2017
I changed breakfast to 9:30.I called it breakfast snack.I served all components for food program.
Baby Beluga 08:42 AM 11-14-2017
I'm kind of the opposite, I prefer that children eat before arrival.

I serve breakfast at 7:45am here and all of my children eat a light "snack" at home (think fig bar type food) and then eat again here. Most of my children are super early risers though (like 5am) so it makes sense for them to eat at home first.

I can certainty see how wasting food would be frustrating though!
hwichlaz 08:51 AM 11-14-2017
Who is it that said, "In their belly or in the trash, it's all gone to me." ??

Just serve the minimum required and mark it down. Like half a slice of toast, glass of milk, and half a banana is adequate for reimbursement claim.
daycarediva 09:05 AM 11-14-2017
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:

I do a later breakfast and encourage parents to give their children a snack before dropping off. I have to offer food every 3 hours but only get reimbursed for 3 meals so having a later breakfast eliminates AM snack so I get reimbursed for every meal I provide. Plus the children aren't as hangry when they arrive.
Yup. I serve what is breakfast to some kids and AM snack to others slightly later then I would serve breakfast normally. I claim it and serve the components of a breakfast.

Idc if they eat or not.
Play Care 09:09 AM 11-14-2017
The same thing happened to me, but I don't serve a morning snack. They wouldn't eat breakfast but then were starving and irritable by 10:00.
I moved breakfast to 9:00 and everyone eats.
Country Kids 10:54 AM 11-14-2017
My kiddo's start arriving at 6:45 and breakfast starts at 7:15. Its just a few that have come in eating so I like to still get the ones that haven't eaten fed-especially the school kiddo's.I guess I'm just frustrated because the parents know they will have a full breakfast here but still give them just enough so they don't want to eat here.

I actually have always had parents that appreciate that they don't have to do that bit of extra in the mornings, but there is always the one going against the grain
hwichlaz 11:41 AM 11-14-2017
My kiddo's start arriving at 6:45 and breakfast starts at 7:15. Its just a few that have come in eating so I like to still get the ones that haven't eaten fed-especially the school kiddo's.I guess I'm just frustrated because the parents know they will have a full breakfast here but still give them just enough so they don't want to eat here.

I actually have always had parents that appreciate that they don't have to do that bit of extra in the mornings, but there is always the one going against the grain
It can only bother you if you choose to let it. Don't think about it. Just assume that kid has a small appetite. If mom is eating already, it'd be mean to tell DCB "no, you have to wait until you get to daycare and just watch me eat this yummy breakfast"
Blackcat31 12:27 PM 11-14-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Who is it that said, "In their belly or in the trash, it's all gone to me." ??
That would be me.

I used to repeat it like a lunch time ritual back when I had bad eaters. It helped me understand that I cant make anyone eat and I am not out any money if they don't.

It's something I refer to often when I hear complaint about wasting food.
hwichlaz 04:40 PM 11-15-2017
That would be me.

I used to repeat it like a lunch time ritual back when I had bad eaters. It helped me understand that I cant make anyone eat and I am not out any money if they don't.

It's something I refer to often when I hear complaint about wasting food.

Yep, unless they are FTT it's none of my business how much they eat. I put healthy food in front of them, then put the plates in the dishwasher. What happens between is on them.
Country Kids 10:20 AM 11-16-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Yep, unless they are FTT it's none of my business how much they eat. I put healthy food in front of them, then put the plates in the dishwasher. What happens between is on them.
What is FTT?
Country Kids 10:27 AM 11-16-2017
I'm getting to the point of just wanting to plate the food up and throw it directly in the trash.

A child came into today and had eaten breakfast already, so there was no point of even having them come to the table but I had to because of the food program.

I wish they would make it so that if a child has eaten before arrival, you don't have to serve food to that child for the meal. Especially with food changes, costs going up and us not getting increases for food.
Blackcat31 11:16 AM 11-16-2017
I'm getting to the point of just wanting to plate the food up and throw it directly in the trash.

A child came into today and had eaten breakfast already, so there was no point of even having them come to the table but I had to because of the food program.

I wish they would make it so that if a child has eaten before arrival, you don't have to serve food to that child for the meal. Especially with food changes, costs going up and us not getting increases for food.
Stop serving breakfast. Serve it later.
I serve it at 9 and include all the components of breakfast so get reimbursed as such. I then serve lunch and afternoon snack for my 3 reimbursable meals/snacks.

I made a point of telling parents the issues I was having and that if their child could NOT wait until 9, the parent MUST feed them something before drop off.

If a child continually said they were hungry and couldn't make it until 9, I'd address that with the parent.

Doing that has solved ALL the issues most providers have with breakfast, wasted food and hungry or non-hungry kids.
Country Kids 11:35 AM 11-16-2017
Stop serving breakfast. Serve it later.
I serve it at 9 and include all the components of breakfast so get reimbursed as such. I then serve lunch and afternoon snack for my 3 reimbursable meals/snacks.

I made a point of telling parents the issues I was having and that if their child could NOT wait until 9, the parent MUST feed them something before drop off.

If a child continually said they were hungry and couldn't make it until 9, I'd address that with the parent.

Doing that has solved ALL the issues most providers have with breakfast, wasted food and hungry or non-hungry kids.
Its just one child, so I'm not going to move my serving time for just one. Just frustrated All the other kiddo's eat awesome for me, but parents don't feed them beforehand.
Blackcat31 03:01 PM 11-16-2017
Its just one child, so I'm not going to move my serving time for just one. Just frustrated All the other kiddo's eat awesome for me, but parents don't feed them beforehand.

Aha, well maybe just don't plate "alot" for that child then and serve only a tiny bit and then more if they do eat. That way you are still compliant but not wasting all of it.

It does suck when it's one kid that throws everything off.

Baby Beluga 03:38 PM 11-16-2017
What is FTT?
Failure to thrive
Tags:breakfast, eating before daycare, food program
Reply Up