Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-02-2019, 01:10 AM
Unregistered

Question Paying Your Helper

I am thinking about hiring help for a few days out of the week. What do you pay a helper? Minimum wage?
Old 07-02-2019, 06:40 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I added tags below to many threads on this topic. You may need to register to see them.
Old 07-02-2019, 11:07 AM

Legally aren’t you required to pay them minimum wage?
Old 07-02-2019, 11:15 PM
Unregistered

Maybe my question wasn't clear enough, I'm not asking if minimum wage is all that I am required by law to pay, I'm asking if I should be paying them more then minimum wage?
Old 07-03-2019, 04:46 AM

Have you researched average payscales in your area? It varies greatly so not something we can answer for you with no background information.

As with anything in life, though, you get what you pay for. I would not expect an experienced provider with a clean background check and current training certs to be willing or able to work for minimum wage.

"The average hourly pay for a Child Care Provider is $10.21. Visit PayScale to research child care provider hourly pay by city, experience, skill, employer and more." - Payscale.com
Old 07-03-2019, 06:50 AM
Unregistered

Thank you! I am only hiring a high school student who wants to make a little cash. She won't be left alone with kids she will be used as helper. I read some of what you tagged & minimum wage seems fine. Thanks!
Old 07-03-2019, 08:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
Thank you! I am only hiring a high school student who wants to make a little cash. She won't be left alone with kids she will be used as helper. I read some of what you tagged & minimum wage seems fine. Thanks!
That is perfect. Also if she is taking the ECE pathway in high school she can get school credit and there are some tax benefits for you. Check it out.
Old 07-03-2019, 07:54 PM
Unregistered

Oh wow good to know, Thank you for your help I'll definitely look into it

Tags
assistant - job description, do your own homework, employee - contract, employee - handbook, employee pay, employee taxes