Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 04-30-2020, 11:51 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

Default Any Positives From This?

Anyone have anything positive happen with their daycare because of the pandemic?
I was able to implement a quick drop off/pick up policy for “social distancing” without feeling awkward about it and without any pushback.
No more long goodbyes and no more chit chat! Its sooooo nice! I also require a text when they are on their way to pick up so i can have the child completely ready to go.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:28 PM

There seems to be a baby boom coming from my group after this, so more job security?
Old 04-30-2020, 12:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MomBoss View Post
Anyone have anything positive happen with their daycare because of the pandemic?
I was able to implement a quick drop off/pick up policy for “social distancing” without feeling awkward about it and without any pushback.
No more long goodbyes and no more chit chat! Its sooooo nice! I also require a text when they are on their way to pick up so i can have the child completely ready to go.
I've noticed while speaking with other providers in my area, parents are taking their child's health a lot more serious.

Most have said they aren't seeing parents brush everything off as teething. Those with ANY symptoms are choosing to stay home verses being told by the provider to stay home or sent home.

I've personally noticed that since parents aren't hauling their kids everywhere now that the over all behavior of the kids is much better. They are clearly getting better sleep and eating healthier without the option of going out to eat.
Old 04-30-2020, 12:31 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cat Herder View Post
There seems to be a baby boom coming from my group after this, so more job security?
Yes; we will soon have kids named Cory, Corona, Rona, Covie, etc. or that's what I'm hearing here

Baby boom is coming; just wait and see
Old 04-30-2020, 01:37 PM
Daycare.com Member

I'm opening back up next week, but I'm hoping that my families are maybe, just maybe, a little more appreciative of me. Not having daycare has been a struggle for them and I hope it made them realize how important I am.

I'm also not allowed to let parents inside, so looking forward to that I do have some talkers and ones that like to linger, so that may be a challenge for some.

I also feel like it was a good mental break for me. I was getting burned out and this time off has helped me recharge. I bought so many new toys for the kiddos and am looking forward to seeing them!
Old 04-30-2020, 04:14 PM
Daycare.com Member

Parents who NEVER spent their time off with their children are now getting a lot of face time. That = better behavior.

I don't let parents inside right now. So, my house can be messy and I don't care. Especially nice with my own two school agers home.
Old 05-01-2020, 03:42 AM
Daycare.com Member and Bladesmith

I do think there will be a change in daycare because of this. More families will decide they can work around having 1 parent home with their children long term. The families that still need care will probably be a bit more appreciative/ understanding of providers, so that's a

Quote:
Beat me to that comment.
Old 05-01-2020, 06:37 AM

Quote:
I nearly spit out my milk from my cereal reading that!
Old 05-01-2020, 01:28 PM
Daycare.com Member

Seeing how much my parents appreciate me. I've had a family bringing groceries for breakfast & snack every week since the Stay at Home order started. And they're all picking up earlier than before.
Old 05-01-2020, 05:54 PM
Daycare.com Member

well, Ive had at least 2 parents tell me there pregant in the last two days.
Old 05-03-2020, 10:01 AM
Daycare.com Member

Loving the drop off pick up at door. I no longer have to be an audience to babying, coddling, bribing of parents. The director meets them at door, takes childs temp, and brings them to our room. If a parent requests to speak to a teacher they have to set up a meeting time. No more 50 questions while I wrangle 6 - 2 and 3 year olds!
Old 05-03-2020, 11:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by racemom View Post
Loving the drop off pick up at door. I no longer have to be an audience to babying, coddling, bribing of parents. The director meets them at door, takes childs temp, and brings them to our room. If a parent requests to speak to a teacher they have to set up a meeting time. No more 50 questions while I wrangle 6 - 2 and 3 year olds!
Oh yeah, me, too! Mine will be like that indefinitely. We are advised to wear mask beginning Monday as well! i'm not real overjoyed about that
Old 05-05-2020, 07:26 AM
New Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annalee View Post
Oh yeah, me, too! Mine will be like that indefinitely. We are advised to wear mask beginning Monday as well! i'm not real overjoyed about that
I hate the mask! I’m finding that the babies grab at it just like they do hair and jewelry. I feel it’s counterproductive to have them touching it. Completely defeats the purpose of wearing it. Hopefully they will get used to it and leave it alone.

I get that we should wear it to prevent spread of germs, but it a roomful of young kids that don’t have to wear it and have no social distancing etiquette whatsoever just seems like an exercise in futility.
Old 05-05-2020, 07:49 AM
New Daycare.com Member

On the positive side, I will be changing my contracts, when they come due for renewal, to include paid sick, personal and vacation time.

I used to feel guilty about charging for those days because parents seem so opposed to it. After having a few days off at the beginning of this crisis, due to the parents not working and the kids having undiagnosed coughs, it was so nice to be able to catch up on all the things I was getting behind on. Filing, accounting, maintenance, training, all the things we do after a 10+ hour day with kids, was nice to be able to do during the weekday, rather than saving it all for nights and weekends.

I’ve gotten to spend time with my own kids, for a change. Now that they’re home from school and can’t hang out with their friends I think they need my attention more than ever.

Most licensed providers in my area already include paid time off in their contracts.

My daycare parents are currently getting paid as normal to stay home. They are using daycare as normal so they can get caught up on their projects at home. I’m not going to feel guilty anymore for doing the same as most of the other licensed providers in my area are doing. I need the paid time off to avoid burn-out. I don’t really consider it time off anymore. It’s not like I’ve worked a 40 hour week in years. That would seem like a part-time job to me.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:30 AM

I have added seventeen families to my waitlist just this week. This is nuts.
Old 05-05-2020, 09:55 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
It is crazy here with so many kids wanting daycare. Here, I feel it's all the FREE programs available. So anxious to see how the state handles all the illegal facilities allowed to open without rules and regs and all the legals that have been encourage to exceed their ratio to help ALL families. ??
Old 05-05-2020, 12:54 PM
Daycare.com Member

I don't have to make snack 3 days this week.

One of the kiddos wanted to bring snack "like K" (the family who's bringing groceries every week) so he brought snack yesterday, and now my granddaughters nagged my daughter into sending snack later this week "like K & E"
Old 05-05-2020, 01:22 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Good for you CH! Have you thought of expanding?
Old 05-05-2020, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dolores View Post
Good for you CH! Have you thought of expanding?
I have been asked to before, but I really don't want to deal with employee issues. I would make a terrible boss. I already know that about me. I have zero patience with procrastination or minimal effort anymore. Kids, I can do all day, adults not so much. I can't afford to pay someone well enough for what I would expect from them.
Old 05-06-2020, 05:40 AM
Daycare.com Member

Employees can be a headache. Besides pay and other things, they want constant praise for (drum roll) doing their job. And as far as behavior, some do not understand that developmentally appropriate behavior applies only to the children.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:24 PM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
I have been asked to before, but I really don't want to deal with employee issues. I would make a terrible boss. I already know that about me. I have zero patience with procrastination or minimal effort anymore. Kids, I can do all day, adults not so much. I can't afford to pay someone well enough for what I would expect from them.
Ditto! I'm the only provider here and I still have problems with the staff. I'd fire myself but then I'd have to fill in...
Old 08-18-2020, 06:30 AM
Daycare.com Member

This whole thing gave me more free time to restructure and enhance my program. I was also able to spend more quality time with my family.

Tags
2019, covid-19 and daycare, silver lining of pandemic