Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Other Childcares
Unregistered 07:46 AM 06-29-2020
Do you all network with other local providers-if you're full or can't meet their needs|they don't fit yours-do you specifically refer them elsewhere? Or do you have a "to each their own-I am not giving away to competition" mentality?

I have the mentality of there are enough children for childcare' and if it does not work for me then why not help the family by providing someone who may be able to care for them? Doesn't hurt my business. I think it is part of a community and being a good person.
I would do that as an assistant director with my last jobs when the boss was not listening-the bosses were cut throat. My first place where I was a before and after director, I don't think anyone would have had a problem if they heard as the center I worked for was great in that regard. Even my former boss on FB told me he was all about the community, so he would not have minded if he heard me refer another childcare.

It is hard for me to advertise being new and not advertising on Next door or Maps (because HOA...I have NO clue if there are board members-it took a year before someone noted a supposed out of compliance of a neighbor and hoa was wrong-a specific tree out front.) And COVID and my only 2 hours on elementary days preschool (which weeds out a lot of people) and my school age being a new school (thankfully principal is cool about my advertising at school events) I know I could use some referrals from nearby in-homes. The nearby centers won't.

I would do the same for them, as well, but everywhere around me is full themselves.

I emailed a bunch of in-homes today. One I emailed a week ago never responded. Another one I know was all about community and can help me out. Hoping to hear back, and hear back positively.
CountryRoads 07:53 AM 06-29-2020
I always wanted to get a group of providers together like once or twice a month and just have a "provider night". We could get advice from each other, help each other, or just visit and make new friends!

My town is super small and there is only one other provider, so I don't think it would be very successful We're friendly with each other and know each other, but we don't communicate about daycare. Not that I don't want to, just haven't had a reason to. Like I said, my town is small, so most people know about our daycares. If I'm full, I let them know that there is one other person in town who is licensed. I've also had her tell people about me.

That's why I love this forum! It is such an isolating job and it's nice to have people to talk to who understand
Baby Beluga 08:04 AM 06-29-2020
I have. There is a provider a few streets over from me, I saw her advertising on FB and within the same week had a family contact me for care. I was full and unable to help so I sent the neighboring provider a PM and asked for her info to pass along to the inquiring family. Not sure what became of it, but they both seemed thankful for the lead.

I love the idea of a local providers night.
Cat Herder 08:34 AM 06-29-2020
I do all the time.

If I don't personally know someone who will meet their family's specific needs, then I refer them to our State listing by zip code.

I have three providers, who charge less than I, that I refer to if a prospective can't afford my care.

I have two local providers that charge more than I do but will meet my rates for 1 year if referred by me.

I will never refer to illegal providers.
Snowmom 10:11 AM 06-29-2020
Like Cat herder, only if I actually know the provider.

Otherwise, I usually give a few resources that may be helpful.

I have a neighbor who is also licensed. I actually like her and have no problem referring people to her since she does much later hours than I do. But, I know she doesn't reciprocate. That's fine though. I know my program is quality and I have no problem getting enrollees.

Networking has a different meaning for me though. I like being able to talk to other providers about daycare THINGS, not necessarily people or leads. Contract help, procedure help, classes, that sort of thing!
AmyKidsCo 12:47 PM 06-29-2020
I only refer to one other person that I would trust with my own children, otherwise I give them Child Care Resource & Referral's contact info. Years ago I was told that you have to be careful referring families to other providers because if something happens the family could sue you because you told them to go to the other provider.
Cat Herder 01:11 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
I only refer to one other person that I would trust with my own children, otherwise I give them Child Care Resource & Referral's contact info. Years ago I was told that you have to be careful referring families to other providers because if something happens the family could sue you because you told them to go to the other provider.
I believe that is for a personal reference, not likely to win, though. I don't think you can be held liable for "Provider B has two slots available, is open two hours later and charges less than me. Would you like her number?"
Unregistered 10:50 PM 06-29-2020
Originally Posted by AmyKidsCo:
Yes, definitely. I always say "I don't know much but there is this provider I know of. " and no personal opinion. I worked for the Y and they have a no babysitting rule-they don't want to be liable. But other centers I worked for all were OK with it.

Update-so far one responded nicely, and one read and no response.
Blackcat31 07:07 AM 06-30-2020
I don't like referring anyone. I prefer families make these decisions on their own. I had ONE bad experience years ago where a parent came back to me and acted like it was my fault an experience with someone who's contact info I shared was not a happy one.

In the provider's defense this parent was difficult but when went downhill it got bad between them. I ran into the parent in a store one day and I got an earful about how it was my fault because I gave the family the provider's name/number.

Now I simply provide the website info to our child care aware site and let parents do their own work.

On the flip side, I also don't want to know why a family left a previous care provider...none of my business and has nothing to do with how I operate so the less I know the better in my opinion.

I network and share other info etc with the lovely providers in my area all the time but I won't refer any families looking for care.
Ariana 08:44 AM 06-30-2020
I don’t refer anyone because unless you have worked with that person or seen her with kids without her knowing you just never know what could be happening behind closed doors! I would not want to be responsible for that!

I network on an FB group but nothing specific to my area and no one seems to get together in person, although that would be fun.,
Unregistered 10:57 AM 07-01-2020
True!
I am looking for more exposure as well. Just so people know of existence and I preface all with my disclaimer.

As a teen-about 15 or 16- I couldn't babysit for.someone i had known for years and recommended my friend who babysat with me. Well, my friend changed her meds for her diabetes and had a reaction where she needed an ambulance.
Well, the woman left me and earful how it was *my* fault I didn't tell her my friend was diabetic. Uh, lady not my business to share without permission and how would I know her medication business and what would happen?
Tags:referral, referral program, referring to other providers
Reply Up