Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Anyone in NY That Can Answer Questions for Me?
legomom922 10:50 AM 08-03-2010
I am not liscensed or registred, and to my knowledge I believe I can have 2 children(excluding my own) at any given time. Do you know if this is correct?

Also, how many kids can you have for before/after school care? Isn't there some stipulation that it has to be 3 hrs or less?

If someone could direct me to a website that would provide all this info, that would be great. All the info I find online is for providers who are liscensed.

thanks a bunch!!
Michael 12:20 PM 08-03-2010
https://www.daycare.com/newyork/
My4SunshineGirlsNY 01:04 PM 08-03-2010
I am in NY and just got registered last Sept. If you are unregistered, you can have up to 2 non relative children at any one time...in other words, no more than 2 non relative kids there at once. You can watch as many kids related to you as you wish.
legomom922 01:45 PM 08-03-2010
Isnt there some rule that will allow you to have more, lets just say 3, as an example as long as the 3rd child is not there longer than 3 hrs? And also, isn't there another rule thats says you can have more if you are not doing it for money? So in other words, if you had 2 FT, and had 1 for the day (say a friend that you dont charge), it would be ok?
legomom922 02:31 PM 08-03-2010
This is where I read about the 3 hr thing..Am I understanding it wrong?

I can't make heads or tails of legal lingo...
) Legally-exempt family child care means:

(i) child care for one or two children provided outside the child's own home in a residence by a caregiver who is at least 18 years of age, or who is less than 18 years of age and meets the requirements for the employment of minors as set forth in article 4 of the New York State Labor Law, and who is chosen and whose services are monitored by the child's caretaker; or

(ii) child care for more than two children provided outside the child's own home in a residence by a caregiver who is at least 18 years of age, or who is less than 18 years of age and meets the requirements for the employment of minors as set forth in article 4 of the New York State Labor Law, who provides such care for less than three hours per day and who is chosen and whose services are monitored by the child's caretaker; or

ETA I guess I forgot to paste!
melskids 02:39 PM 08-03-2010
im in ny as well.....

you can have 2 unrelated all day, and technically, as many more as you want as long as it is less then 3 hrs per day. this is what i was told at the time when i was unregistered.

go to www.ocfs.state.ny.us or call (518)408-3005 (nys office of children and family services)
legomom922 03:33 PM 08-03-2010
I had forgotten to paste the article...

Yes thats the way I understood it but I wanted to be sure!
My4SunshineGirlsNY 07:10 PM 08-03-2010
Originally Posted by melskids:
im in ny as well.....

you can have 2 unrelated all day, and technically, as many more as you want as long as it is less then 3 hrs per day. this is what i was told at the time when i was unregistered.

go to www.ocfs.state.ny.us or call (518)408-3005 (nys office of children and family services)
I actually called on this when I was unregistered and I was told I couldn't exceed 2 at one time no matter what. I was also turned in last summer and the guy that came said the same thing. I would call to double check exactly how that works...you don't have to give them a name...I was a little hesitant to call because I knew I was over my limit and thought maybe they would pry, but they didn't.
melskids 03:26 AM 08-04-2010
Originally Posted by My4SunshineGirlsNY:
I actually called on this when I was unregistered and I was told I couldn't exceed 2 at one time no matter what. I was also turned in last summer and the guy that came said the same thing. I would call to double check exactly how that works...you don't have to give them a name...I was a little hesitant to call because I knew I was over my limit and thought maybe they would pry, but they didn't.
i was turned in once when i wasnt registered. i was told i was actually O.K., having the two full time, and i had 6 before and after school kiddos, as long as they weren't there more then 3 hrs. my old neighbor was turned in quite a few times as well, and they always told her it was o.k. too. probably one of the many regs that get to be interrpreted any way the licensor wants to......
legomom922 06:06 AM 08-04-2010
Why do people turn you in anyway? Who is doing it? Parents, neighbors?

The rules are written out as stated earlier, but it doesnt say if you can have children for less than 3 hrs PLUS ft kids, and thats where I needed clarification. It doesnt say weather its and/or. I am always hesitant to call as well. I'm afraid theyhave call ID and will know then who I am. Thats why I was trying to find a website that made it more clear, but I can find one.
melskids 08:04 AM 08-04-2010
if you press *67 before you make the call, it comes up blocked on a caller I.D. ......
legomom922 08:51 AM 08-04-2010
on a cell phone? thats all I have...
swaddlebees 01:33 PM 08-04-2010
you cant block your number calling govt agencies or most business' they use different phone systems that *67 doesnt work on
legomom922 01:42 PM 08-04-2010
Anyone else in NY that has had expeirience with this as to how the law interprets this?
melskids 03:11 PM 08-04-2010
if you would like, i will call my licensor tomorrow to get some info. i have no prob calling, as i am already licensed. i'll let you know what i find out.....
legomom922 04:42 PM 08-04-2010
Wow that would be awsome! Great! Thank you sooo much!!

Basically, all I want to do is have 2 FT, and 2 or 3 afterschool kids, because since I can have only 2, then this is the only other way to bring in a little more money without going over my limit. I only have 1 PT now anyway.
Tags:new york, ratios
Reply Up