Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Early/Late payments? Sassysue?
DaycareMom 10:55 AM 11-18-2011
I was just reading SassySue's post about the dcm who called and left a message that she would be arriving at daycare an hour and a half earlier than her contracted time.

If she had given you a 24 hour notice and you OK'd it, would you charge her for the extra time?

I have a dcm who's contracted time to pick up is 5:00 but has started coming later and later everyday since my closing time is 5:30 and she knows another dcg doesn't get picked up until then.

I guess she figures since I have to watch her, what's the big deal to watch her kids...
nannyde 11:21 AM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by MissChristie:
I guess she figures since I have to watch her, what's the big deal to watch her kids...
She thinks it's no big deal because she thinks it's the same money. Tell her the other child stays later but they pay an extra 30 bucks a week for that. If she wants the additional time you have to increase her up to the same salary.

As soon as she finds out she's getting a better deal by picking up at her scheduled time she will feel great about the times she's supposed to be there.
DaycareMom 11:31 AM 11-18-2011
Well, they pay the same rate of $30/child/day. The dcf who "gets" to stay later signed with me while she was pregnant and they are my very first dcf.

I can't lie to her because they are friends and they talk to eachother.

It wouldn't bother me if she always picked up her kids at 5:30 but it has only started since the other dcg is here.
Blackcat31 11:50 AM 11-18-2011
Do they both drop off at the same time?
DaycareMom 12:02 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Do they both drop off at the same time?
Yes they do
Cat Herder 12:02 PM 11-18-2011
This is why I just have set rates and set hours. I don't want to have to police it.

The upside: I RARELY (once every couple years) have late pick-up fees to keep up with and enforce.

The downside: All my kids are here open to close, everyday within a few weeks of enrollment, no matter what time we originally agreed to.

The ONLY way to have contracted hours work (IMHO), without constant drama, is to adjust their rates based on hours in care. Nan's system works WELL.
DaycareMom 12:03 PM 11-18-2011
The dcg who stays half hour later is an angel. Great kids ... so easy. The other 2 kids can be very difficult and there is certainly no discipline at home so you all know how that can be...
Blackcat31 12:25 PM 11-18-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:
This is why I just have set rates and set hours. I don't want to have to police it.

The upside: I RARELY (once every couple years) have late pick-up fees to keep up with and enforce.

The downside: All my kids are here open to close, everyday within a few weeks of enrollment, no matter what time we originally agreed to.

The ONLY way to have contracted hours work (IMHO), without constant drama, is to adjust their rates based on hours in care. Nan's system works WELL.
I have to completely agree! I have done things both ways. I have done the whole day thing and had kids here from open to close. Alot less drama and alot more work on certain days because I never got done early or got to go in late.

I am currently running under Nan's system ( to Nan ) and it DOES work. The extra fees and money do all the drama policing for me. If you stay late, you pay more. If you pick up earlier, you pay less. The ball is in the parents court so it is up to them what they wanna pay. No negotiating with themselves.
JenNJ 01:06 PM 11-18-2011
I am only open for 9 hours a day. I charge everyone the same. I allow early drop offs and late pick ups on occasion with extra pay.
cheerfuldom 01:37 PM 11-18-2011
I am open for 10 hours a day and currently have parents that pick up anytime they are not at work. I only have a small group but if I had a larger one, I would so go to contracted hours!
Lucy 02:04 PM 11-18-2011
I had a new one who gradually started coming later and later. One day at pickup, I said, "should we start a new contract for a 4:30 pickup instead of 4:00?" He stammered around and talked about traffic and stuff, and I said "just let me know if you want that as your new pickup time." He hasn't been late since.
small_steps 02:06 PM 11-18-2011
I've seen Nan's System and I really like it...I'm sure she addresses this and I've probably missed it somewhere...but what happens if one day that week they miss their 3:00 pick up time and actually pick up at 4:45? Do they pay late for just that one day or does the rate go up for the whole week? And also, if the rate goes up for the week and they pay in advance is it just tacked on to next week?
Tags:contracted hours, hours of operation, rates - flat fee, rates - hourly to daily
Reply Up