Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Just When You Thought
daycare 02:16 PM 06-09-2011
there was no other way to be taken advantage of.

So as all of you know I have a family of two boys who gave their notice and they wiggled their way out of having to pay for their full last two weeks of care. Their last day is next tuesday.

Well, I offer a free parents night out once a month to all enrolled families. My Parents night out will be next friday night. Guess who signed up for it today!
Yup this family. Sign up sheet is next to our log book.

I have not yet, but am thinking about sending an email to them stating

We would love to have x and x attend the parents night out next friday night. The cost for non enrolled children is $10.00 per hour per child. Please let me know how many hours I should reserve for your kids.

thanks


There is no way I am giving them free parents night out....
Reply
AfterSchoolMom 02:19 PM 06-09-2011
Wow!!! Some people just have b*lls of steel, don't they?


Good for you for standing up for yourself!! I'm really curious to know how this will work out when they find out they won't be getting a free PNO.
Reply
momma2girls 02:20 PM 06-09-2011
Good for you!!! Do not give them the free night!!
Reply
wdmmom 02:21 PM 06-09-2011
I would just tell them that free night is only for children attending the daycare. Because they will no longer be enrolled in the daycare, they are ineligible for free night.

Sorry!
Reply
momofsix 02:22 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
there was no other way to be taken advantage of.

So as all of you know I have a family of two boys who gave their notice and they wiggled their way out of having to pay for their full last two weeks of care. Their last day is next tuesday.

Well, I offer a free parents night out once a month to all enrolled families. My Parents night out will be next friday night. Guess who signed up for it today!
Yup this family. Sign up sheet is next to our log book.

I have not yet, but am thinking about sending an email to them stating

We would love to have x and x attend the parents night out next friday night. The cost for non enrolled children is $10.00 per hour per child. Please let me know how many hours I should reserve for your kids.

thanks


There is no way I am giving them free parents night out....
Seriously????? I can not believe it...the nerve of some people!
Reply
Crystal 02:27 PM 06-09-2011
nope. no way. they are no longer paying clients, they no longer qualify for specials.
Reply
Blackcat31 03:28 PM 06-09-2011
I'd give them the parents night out....just charge them what their last two weeks should have cost them. Upfront of course.
Reply
daycare 03:45 PM 06-09-2011
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I'd give them the parents night out....just charge them what their last two weeks should have cost them. Upfront of course.
lmao......you have the best ideas..................hahahah
Reply
momofboys 04:59 PM 06-09-2011
Unbelieveable! I can't believe the nerve of some people. Let us know how you handle it/what you say. Maybe they think since they have been here part of the month they are entitled to it?!?! I don;t agree with that philosophy but possibly that is what they think. Either way, I'd love to hear how this works out. I would not give them a free date night either!
Reply
Christian Mother 05:14 PM 06-09-2011
What?!! Are you kiddin' me?

Nope, I agree with Crystal all the way. If they still try to have the kids over for the date night tell them you charge hourly for care. I want to hear also what happens. Lordy!!
Reply
PitterPatter 10:49 PM 06-09-2011
How many of u offer this parent night out? I thought about that in the past but most of my parents already take advantage of me so why offer more. BUT when if I get some new kinder clients in care I would like to offer this. So please share, how many of u offer it? How often? How long?

Thanks!

Oh and yep she has super man balls for sure!
Reply
Pammie 05:09 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by PitterPatter:
How many of u offer this parent night out? I thought about that in the past but most of my parents already take advantage of me so why offer more. BUT when if I get some new kinder clients in care I would like to offer this. So please share, how many of u offer it? How often? How long?

Thanks!

Oh and yep she has super man balls for sure!

I offer Parent's Nights Out just about every Friday nite - but they're not free. I charge $20/family - but it's only for current daycare clients....and former clients that left in good standing and have an open invitation to come back for PNOs My dh works 5p-5a Fridays thru Sundays, so its a good way for me to make some easy extra $ when I'd otherwise probably be here by myself. I don't do much as far as activities for the evening, kids free-play, I serve dinner with a dessert (desserts are "special" here because I usually don't serve them), the kids change into pjs and then we watch a movie (again "special" because I have no screen time during the days) then any kids that are still here at the end of the movie either free-play-quiet-play (puzzles, crayons, etc) or fall asleep until their parents pick up.

I would never offer my time for free - and my clients have been thrilled to have the evening care available, and are very willing to pay.

As far as "daycare's" client that signed her kids up for after their last day, I would simply tell her no.
Reply
Meyou 06:13 AM 06-10-2011
OMG...the NERVE!! You are so lucky to be rid of that family!
Reply
wdmmom 08:03 AM 06-10-2011
I offer Parent's Night Out one Friday per month from 6pm to 10pm and charge $6 an hour. Current clients only.
Reply
daycare 08:50 AM 06-10-2011
So I sent the email to the DCM. Instead of an email, I got a text asking why she would be charged, if I wanted to do if for free I could, I was not going to be charging anyone else...........Holy cow

SO I thought about it and said well as of this Tuesday your children are no longer covered under my insurance so I can't have them attend. I don't take risks for free.

lol I wonder why this family feels that they should have the right to attend for free..
Reply
PitterPatter 09:17 AM 06-10-2011
[quote=daycare;119054]So I sent the email to the DCM. Instead of an email, I got a text asking why she would be charged, if I wanted to do if for free I could, I was not going to be charging anyone else...........Holy cow

SO I thought about it and said well as of this Tuesday your children are no longer covered under my insurance so I can't have them attend. I don't take risks for free.

lol I wonder why this family feels that they should have the right to attend for free..[/QUOTE]

Could it be that dreaded entitlement syndrome going around?
Reply
Crystal 09:32 AM 06-10-2011
asking why she would be charged, if I wanted to do if for free I could, I was not going to be charging anyone else

My response " The clients that will be attending are paying clients. They have not attempted to negotiate my fees and have not disrespected me or my policies. I refuse to provide free services for non-clients, and as of Tuesday you will no longer be a client."
Reply
daycare 09:46 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Crystal:
asking why she would be charged, if I wanted to do if for free I could, I was not going to be charging anyone else

My response " The clients that will be attending are paying clients. They have not attempted to negotiate my fees and have not disrespected me or my policies. I refuse to provide free services for non-clients, and as of Tuesday you will no longer be a client."
I wish I had your backbone....lol Im a wimp
Reply
kimsdaycare 09:52 AM 06-10-2011
How many other families are signed up? Would it be a big deal to tell everyone you have a conflict and must cancel this one? You can then reschedule it for the following week, posting the new sign-up sheet the day after this families last day.

If they aren't there, they can't sign-up. Problem solved.
Reply
SimpleMom 10:00 AM 06-10-2011
[quote=daycare;118812]there was no other way to be taken advantage of.

So as all of you know I have a family of two boys who gave their notice and they wiggled their way out of having to pay for their full last two weeks of care. Their last day is next tuesday.

Well, I offer a free parents night out once a month to all enrolled families. My Parents night out will be next friday night. Guess who signed up for it today!
Yup this family. Sign up sheet is next to our log book.

I have not yet, but am thinking about sending an email to them stating

We would love to have x and x attend the parents night out next friday night. The cost for non enrolled children is $10.00 per hour per child. Please let me know how many hours I should reserve for your kids.

thanks

Oh goodness, yes. Charge for non-enrollment children. Wow, sorry you have to deal with that. It's quite inconsiderate of them
Reply
Lisa4kids 10:03 AM 06-10-2011
SO I thought about it and said well as of this Tuesday your children are no longer covered under my insurance so I can't have them attend. I don't take risks for free.

Great Response! It seems like she's just playing games with you, very disrespectful. Don't give in as she is only thinking of herself and not worried about how the whole situation made you feel.
Reply
Crystal 10:10 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I wish I had your backbone....lol Im a wimp
I learned early in my career that it is up to me to ensure that I am not taken advanatge of. I have never tolerated it and I have never had an issue putting it to parents straight. I VERY RARELY have an issue with a parent, as my policies are enforced from day one and they respect that. I wouldn't give any "excuses" such as insurance, I'd just tell her like it is.

YOU CAN DO IT!!!
Reply
daycare 10:10 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by kimsdaycare:
How many other families are signed up? Would it be a big deal to tell everyone you have a conflict and must cancel this one? You can then reschedule it for the following week, posting the new sign-up sheet the day after this families last day.

If they aren't there, they can't sign-up. Problem solved.
I have 4 families coming and I will be leaving the next Friday to go on vacation so to cancel wont be possible. This family made their decision to leave, that means that no longer get to use my services and they have to realize this means "ALL" of my services.

If they are mad, oh well... They will get over it.

If they would have been respectful and held up their end of the contract, I probably would not have minded doing it this one last time for free. But when you burn a bridge, there are consequences........
Reply
laundrymom 10:33 AM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by daycare:
I have 4 families coming and I will be leaving the next Friday to go on vacation so to cancel wont be possible. This family made their decision to leave, that means that no longer get to use my services and they have to realize this means "ALL" of my services.

If they are mad, oh well... They will get over it.

If they would have been respectful and held up their end of the contract, I probably would not have minded doing it this one last time for free. But when you burn a bridge, there are consequences........
Absolutely agree!!!!!!
Reply
Christian Mother 01:46 PM 06-10-2011
Good for you girlie!! See...you do have a backbone. It just takes a few times for it to stiffen when a parent continues to try taking advantage of you. You are going to be having a very stress free week when they are completely gone!!!
Reply
grandmom 03:22 PM 06-10-2011
Good for you!

I'd encourage you to not even offer it to this family at any rate, because they will say they will pay you when they pick up, but then won't have the cash. Don't put yourself in that spot.

Besides, what a way to ruin your Friday night.
Reply
Mike Lassiter 04:42 PM 06-10-2011
Originally Posted by Christian Mother:
Good for you girlie!! See...you do have a backbone. It just takes a few times for it to stiffen when a parent continues to try taking advantage of you. You are going to be having a very stress free week when they are completely gone!!!
There it is! I see it too!

You have the group here for support and as someone has in their signature "here, we all are friends"
Now come on and tell us didn't that feel good? Stand firm and every time you use that backbone it will get stronger and stronger
Reply
Tags:non-payment, notice, taken advantage, two week notice
Reply Up