Daycare.com Forum Daycare Forum

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 07-05-2011, 11:02 AM
Unregistered

Default How To Term A Parent

I will need to let one of DC infants go in FEB as I just found out I will need that spot for my first grandchild. What do say to the parent? How much notice would you give them?
Old 07-05-2011, 11:49 AM
All powerful, all knowing daycare whisperer

Don't say anything to them. Just tell them when you know for sure that you won't have an opening. That would be some time in January. Don't give it a single thought until then.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Advanced Daycare.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by nannyde View Post
Don't say anything to them. Just tell them when you know for sure that you won't have an opening. That would be some time in January. Don't give it a single thought until then.
I agree with Nanny! A lot of events could occur over the next 8 months that could potentially leave you with an opening. You never know...

If this new family is needing care in February, tell them to contact you in December or January to see if you have an opening. If one comes open sooner than that, collect a deposit to ensure their attendance.
Old 07-05-2011, 11:53 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

I wouldn't say anything now. A lot of things can happen in the next 7 months.
Old 07-05-2011, 12:30 PM

if you tell them now, they will start looking now for another daycare and you will have an unpaid opening until Feb. just leave it alone for now. I don't require any notice to be given for termination on my part but I would probably give one month in this case.
Old 07-05-2011, 01:59 PM

I agree with the other people here I would wait until closer too. A lot of "Life" can happen in 7 month you might not actually have to deal with this problem.
Old 07-05-2011, 04:35 PM
Daycare.com Member

CONGRATULATIONS!

I agree with pp..... Wait until January.
Old 07-05-2011, 08:18 PM

Wait until the time is right,.... Anything can happen and wow!!! First grandchild!!! Congratulations!!!! How exciting!!!!
Old 07-05-2011, 08:30 PM
Nature Lover

Congratulations on the first grandbaby! Here are some things though I would be very careful on. How are you going to chose which dc baby to let go? Do you have it in your contract that you can let a child go at anytime for any reason? Also, I would be very careful in letting a child go so that you can replace it with a grandchild. I know personally it would hurt my feelings to be let go from a childcare so that the grandma could take care of the grandchild. Especially if my child enjoyed coming and being there. I would be afraid of the parents turning around and giving my childcare a bad name because of that.

This is a tough one because as others have said you don't want to give notice to soon but then I would maybe let the parents know what is going on and give them the heads up. This way they can either start looking or at least have a date that they would have to have another childcare by.
Old 07-06-2011, 07:02 PM
Unregistered

Thumbs down agree with you

Quote:
Originally Posted by Country Kids View Post
Congratulations on the first grandbaby! Here are some things though I would be very careful on. How are you going to chose which dc baby to let go? Do you have it in your contract that you can let a child go at anytime for any reason? Also, I would be very careful in letting a child go so that you can replace it with a grandchild. I know personally it would hurt my feelings to be let go from a childcare so that the grandma could take care of the grandchild. Especially if my child enjoyed coming and being there. I would be afraid of the parents turning around and giving my childcare a bad name because of that.

This is a tough one because as others have said you don't want to give notice to soon but then I would maybe let the parents know what is going on and give them the heads up. This way they can either start looking or at least have a date that they would have to have another childcare by.
I agree with you. I was starting to think I was the only one that shared your opinion. I would never term a customer for family, plain and simple - it could easily give you a really bad name and reputation in town. If your contracts say you can, it doesn't mean it's good business practice to do so anyway. If by chance, you happen to have an opening by January, then that's great. I'm also very leary that the OP said she just found out and already is going to term. I'm sorry to say this, but to me it seems to reflect how little she thinks about her customers. I can understand that she wants to take care of her grandchild, but I really hope she has that in her contracts or something so customers knew that she was going to term when grandkids come. Can you imagine how devastated one of those customers is going to be when they get termed? "You're great, but I have to make room for my grandchild!" I would be devastated as a customer and I would expect them to really badmouth your business. Surely, you realize how difficult it is for customers to find infant care as it is. In my area, there are waiting lists pretty much 9+ months long and there's seniority based on existing customer base and teacher/owner/director pregnancies trump the seniority lists around here. Most everyone I know pays for holding a spot at 2 different daycares just in case one falls through or they get bumped. And in our surrounding metro areas, infant child care is almost impossible to find - new customers are told no openings because they can't accomodate the existing waiting list even! I'm sorry, but maybe it was your delivery - or just the plain lack of empathy for the one that going to get termed. I'm hoping you can find another solution - like having your grandchild find another daycare until something opens up in your daycare out of fairness to your customers.
Old 07-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Unregistered

Default Let everyone know now that you are going to change the ratio in the fall

Then make the opening and give as much notice as possible. 6 months is great. You get Grandbaby, they get a smooth transition, and if you end up with a few more weeks of an open spot its worth it. Help the leaving family as much as you can, and see if there is a volunteer, unless you have one in mind.
Old 07-08-2011, 04:29 AM
Unregistered

It isn't a matter of respect for my clients. I am only allowed to have 3 infants my son is living with me which by default means my grandchild will as well. I have to count that child in my numbers even if I am not providing direct care. I would have to let go one of my infants that were under 12 months at the time of birth because in order to have 3 infants one must be older than that. That leaves, as it stands right now, terming an infant (due in Nov) with 2 full-time siblings or terming an infant with no siblings that just started before I found out about the grand baby situation.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post
It isn't a matter of respect for my clients. I am only allowed to have 3 infants my son is living with me which by default means my grandchild will as well. I have to count that child in my numbers even if I am not providing direct care. I would have to let go one of my infants that were under 12 months at the time of birth because in order to have 3 infants one must be older than that. That leaves, as it stands right now, terming an infant (due in Nov) with 2 full-time siblings or terming an infant with no siblings that just started before I found out about the grand baby situation.
Could you possibly request a variance so that you won't have to term anyone but you could still have the grandchild in your home (and be counted in your numbers) but use the fact that the child's parent will be there and you may not be providing direct care for the grandchild. A variance could be a plausible remedy.
Old 07-08-2011, 07:56 AM
Nature Lover

Now that you explained it like this here are some questions to think about. I know this grandchild will be living with you but are you taking care of it and being paid for this? If not you will be losing income by doing this and what if your son moves out in a couple of months and you lost income and now having to look for a new child. See if about the varience and maybe see if there is someway to work with all this. Good luck!
Old 07-08-2011, 07:58 AM
Family Childcare Home

Quote:
I understand that the baby will live in your home, will you be taking care of the baby or will the baby be in your home during your daycare hours? If yes then I can see why you would need to terminate an infant and which one.

If not and the baby wasn't in your home during DC hours then it wouldn't count against your numbers so you wouldn't need to term anyone. Of course I'm assuming that you are going to watch your grandbaby and if this is the case just wait until at least a month before grandbaby is due to give notice. A month is more than enough time to have your client find an alternate provider. That's more than accomodating should you feel bad for having to let them go but not necessary. The norm is usually two weeks. You don't have to explain in their notice why you are letting them go and should just say that you are no longer to meet their needs, which is completely true.
Old 07-08-2011, 10:04 AM
Unregistered

Default Then I retract

Quote:
Ah, that makes sense then, I retract my post reply to Country then. You don't have a choice due to your circumstances - I didn't know that up front. You really are in a bind! Ugh! Then, I would definately use that circumstance to your advantage somehow to word it somehow to parents. Congrats by the way!

Tags
terminate, termination notice, working with family