Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Maternity Leave Guidelines For DCP
momofboys 10:26 AM 01-20-2013
Obviously I dropped the ball on this one. Current family recently went on mat leave and will likely not be back until March. Dcp stated their older child would attend 2 days/week and although I have no written rule I screwed up and took their word they would do so. Two to three weeks into leave and older child still hasn't come. So what are your rules to hold a spot for the 6-8 or whatever week leave??
mbullette 10:54 AM 01-20-2013
I require all my families to pay 1/2 of their weekly rate. I can't afford to have them gone and not paying. You are holding the spot so its the least they can do.
MyAngels 11:02 AM 01-20-2013
I don't actually have a formal policy for this, but I would never allow a family to be gone for that long without paying full price for the spot, unless for some reason it was convenient for me.

Oddly enough, no one has ever asked me to allow it, either.
Blackcat31 01:36 PM 01-20-2013
Originally Posted by momofboys:
Obviously I dropped the ball on this one. Current family recently went on mat leave and will likely not be back until March. Dcp stated their older child would attend 2 days/week and although I have no written rule I screwed up and took their word they would do so. Two to three weeks into leave and older child still hasn't come. So what are your rules to hold a spot for the 6-8 or whatever week leave??
I only enroll infants from current families. I require the older child to attend a minimum of 3 days per week for up to 6 weeks. After 6 weeks, they are required to attend or pay as normal to hold space.

If i were you, I would write the family a quick e-mail/text or even call and say to them something like:

Dear DCP

It was my understanding that Billy would be attending 2 days per week while you were on maternity leave.

Based on this agreement, you have a balance due of $ XX.XX for those 2 days. I understand that Billy did not actually attend those days but they were reserved for him.

In order for me to continue holding his space along with the new baby's, you will need to have this balance paid in full by Jan XX, 2013 and Billy will either need to attend (or pay for) the agreed upon 2 days per week until full time care resumes as normal.

If you should choose not to continue attending at all, you will need to submit your two weeks notice in writing per our contractual agreement.

Thank you,

Provider.

I am sure, depending on your relationship with the family, that you can re-word it to make it friendlier if you should choose to.

HTH
momofboys 04:51 PM 01-20-2013
Thank you all & thanks blackcat for the letter!!!
Reply Up