Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Preferred Way to Take Attendance
Familycare71 06:08 AM 09-16-2013
I am wondering what everyone preferred way to take attendance is... Currently I do it my self but have seen that many use a sign in/out sheet or checkin kids (I think that's right). I think I want to switch to this- I do contracted hours. Just wondering what you use and why- also what you tried and didn't work if applicable.
I don't like the idea of printing so many papers BUT I also don't know that I want to have my iPad available at all times either...
Thanks
SSWonders 06:43 AM 09-16-2013
I use a time clock. It's quicker than trying to write everyone down and I get exact time in and out.
Familycare71 06:46 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by SSWonders:
I use a time clock. It's quicker than trying to write everyone down and I get exact time in and out.
Oh! I like that- where would I find one? Are they expensive??
Blackcat31 07:27 AM 09-16-2013
Here's an inexpensive one:

http://www.officemachinedepot.com/ac...ock-64244.aspx

lovemylife 07:34 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Here's an inexpensive one:

http://www.officemachinedepot.com/ac...ock-64244.aspx

That's awesome! A little on the pricey side for me right now.
SSWonders 07:46 AM 09-16-2013
I've found some in the $100 range on Amazon. Maybe try Ebay or Craig's list for a used one.
daycarediva 07:57 AM 09-16-2013
I have check in kids, but I can only use it for 7/8 of my little kids. The other family has a varying schedule, and check in kids doesn't allow me to add the changes in days/hours at all. For the other family I use a printed weekly time sheet with the contracted days/hours and then write in the actual times.

Does Minute menu kids allow you to use various schedules per child/family? For this ONE family with a custody arrangement, sometimes the hours are 7-5 (Mom) and 8-5:45 (Dad)
LoraJenkins 08:08 AM 09-16-2013
I use a sign-in/sign-out sheet that is on a clipboard by my front door. The parents have to sign it at drop-off and pick-up. Saves a lot of headaches for me.
Familycare71 08:32 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by LoraJenkins:
I use a sign-in/sign-out sheet that is on a clipboard by my front door. The parents have to sign it at drop-off and pick-up. Saves a lot of headaches for me.
So do you do a weekly sheet with all the kids names on it or a sheet for each kid?
The time clock is a bit expensive for me right now.
Blackcat31 08:37 AM 09-16-2013
That's how I do it too. I keep a clip board on the top of the cubby's near the parent bulletin board.

I usually record the times myself (so there is no discrepancies) and then hand the clip board to the parents to initial.

My sign in/out sheet has space for each child for the whole week so I use one sheet per week.

I mark any LATE times in red.
LoraJenkins 09:19 AM 09-16-2013
Originally Posted by Familycare71:
So do you do a weekly sheet with all the kids names on it or a sheet for each kid?
The time clock is a bit expensive for me right now.
I do a weekly sheet for all children. Each section has a child's name, then underneath it has the days of the week. It is so easy to keep track of who is out that way.
snbauser 09:25 AM 09-16-2013
Like some of the others, I have a clipboard on top of my cubbies and a small clock right next to it. Parents fill in arrival time and sign at drop off and pick up time and sign at pick up. I use the in/out sheets from MMK. Our licensing requires that we have accurate attendance records with in and out times at all times.
MsLaura529 10:27 AM 09-16-2013
I just use my planner/attendance book that the food program provided me with. I don't have to have parents signatures, so I just write down the names, time in and time out for each day. I am also able to keep track of who paid, and how much, each week.
momofsix 10:37 AM 09-16-2013
This is what I do too. One sheet per week with everyone's name on it. parents write the time in/out in the boxes for their child.
Simplest thing I've found.
coolconfidentme 10:41 AM 09-16-2013
I use check in kids & PDF it each month. I keep an excel spreadsheet that ties the hours to charges. If a parent questions it, I refer to the check in kids they logged in with.
LK5kids 12:51 PM 09-16-2013
State regs. requires the state sign-in/out sheet. So I have to copy those. Before I was licensed and also when I did FCC in another state I just had a spiral that had the date and the parents signed in there each day. Worked great!
MotherNature 03:05 PM 09-16-2013
This is exactly what I do too.
Familycare71 03:23 PM 09-16-2013
Thanks girls!!! It is so great having you all as a resource so I don't have to keep making things up as I go .
I am going to a weekly sign in sheet- and have parents initial- sounds easy enough!
renodeb 04:22 PM 09-16-2013
I use a signin/out sheet that the parents sign in and out each day. Once its full I just file it in my file box and at the end of the year I file the whole years sheets with my tax stuff. I think a time cock is a good idea as well. Do you have to buy the time punch cards?
Maria2013 04:52 PM 09-16-2013
I used to have parents sign their kids in and out, but there was always someone forgetting to, or signing next to the wrong kid (yup) so I started doing it myself
Sunchimes 04:58 PM 09-16-2013
I also use one sheet a week. At first, I made everyone sign in and out with initials. Then I realized that they were signing in the time they got to the house instead of the time they left the house. My group always stays and talks, sometimes 20 minutes or more (which is fine and something I encourage for several reasons.) So, for time/space, I was losing 1 1/2 to 2 hours a week of time when the child was in my house. Now, I do it myself for my regulars and have drop ins initial their own.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 04:54 AM 09-17-2013
Ohio requires a sign in sign out sheet and because of "privacy" they have to be separate for each family (because you know with 6 kids they would never know who is here and who isn't)
I print a monthly sheet for each family. So it is predated for each day M-F and spaces for time, signature, time, signature. It is easy to see if someone forgot and my parents are good about signing in and out. They are on clipboards, on my desk inside the door below a clock. Each families clipboard has all of their information in a file folder. They are colored so my families glance for theirs. On the back of the sign in out sheet I have a little chart to record their payments. So all I have all that information in one spot At the end of the month they get stapled into their folder and the total is added so it is done at the end of the year.
Familycare71 05:37 AM 09-17-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
Ohio requires a sign in sign out sheet and because of "privacy" they have to be separate for each family (because you know with 6 kids they would never know who is here and who isn't)
I print a monthly sheet for each family. So it is predated for each day M-F and spaces for time, signature, time, signature. It is easy to see if someone forgot and my parents are good about signing in and out. They are on clipboards, on my desk inside the door below a clock. Each families clipboard has all of their information in a file folder. They are colored so my families glance for theirs. On the back of the sign in out sheet I have a little chart to record their payments. So all I have all that information in one spot At the end of the month they get stapled into their folder and the total is added so it is done at the end of the year.
If I had the room this is a great idea- I have a very small entry way so I don't know where I would put it for each family... I am thinking of doing a binder with a payment section and place to put the sign in/out sheets when they are full.
I also just started an "inspection binder" like one of the other members (I can't remember who ) for each families info, forms I need to keep on record, etc...
And I am planning on starting a MMK account - but I need to catch up with all my past expenses... So that should be fun!
Tags:attendance sheet
Reply Up