Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Losing THREE Kids!!!
JeepGirl6 06:24 AM 05-23-2014
So I am losing THREE kids!!! One today and 2 next Friday. I knew about the one leaving next Friday for the past month. I just found out about the other one yesterday( I require a paid 2 week notice). The one that is leaving today gave me a 3 weeks notice. Two of them are school teachers so they would be off for the summer. I require 50% payment for the summer to hold their spot. The one I knew wouldn't be coming back in the fall because her child is starting preschool. The other daycare parent just found out she is pregnant and decided she wants to be a stay at home mom after the baby is born so she wont be going back. Well then today she asks me if she decides she wants to go back for a few months before the baby is born if that is okay. I honestly think she just doesn't want to pay me the 50% for the summer. Then come August expects to be able to take her child back. I told her that would be fine. But if I do not have a spot I will not be available, I am not saving a spot for her especially with her not paying to keep her spot.

I just feel like once I get on my feet something happens like this. I am now short $600 for my bills so my husband and I have to figure out what we are going to do if I don't pick up kids. My husband does not make enough to pay my part of the bills. He wants me to go get a job so I have a steady income but then we would have to pay for daycare for our son. I just don't think it would be worth it. He also mentioned me about going back to Nursing School. I started my pre reqs for Nursing but then switched my major to Early Childhood Education. I graduated with my Associates Degree in 2009. Now that we have a child and want more down the road, I don't think I could go back to school right now. I would only be able to go in the evening because I can't afford to not work full time during the day.

I go on craigslist, care,sittercity, have a facebook account, have a website, have a professional daycare sign in my yard...I don't know what else I can do!

When my third parent gave her notice yesterday I almost started crying. I was shaking when she left. I was just so upset because financially I knew what it was going to do to our family income. I feel like I can never get ahead. We have $2,200 in medical bills we are still paying on from having our son, last year around this time the same thing happened so once my son was born we put everything on credit cards so now they are all maxed out. Two months ago I was finally full, I thought YAY! I will finally be able to pay off bills. NOPE!

I have said this in the past but now Its really sinking in...Daycare parents do not worry about me. They don't care whether I can pay my bills or provide for my family. I am just someone who watches their child, nothing more.
coolconfidentme 06:39 AM 05-23-2014
I termed a new DCB yesterday & two other parents gave their notice. Today on FB I posted "I smell a good day brewing!" I refused to be impacted by negativity. Negative thoughts bring negative actions. Look at this as an opportunity for change. Good luck!!!
CraftyMom 06:44 AM 05-23-2014
I feel your pain! I've lost 3 kids in the same week before and it was not fun! It worked out well in the end, but I was so stressed.

It will work out for you as well!
Blackcat31 06:47 AM 05-23-2014
If you do plan on staying in this line of work, get used to the continual cycle of change.

It's a given that the second you get comfortable, something will change.

If you are seriously looking for job security, you will NOT find it in the world of in-home child care.

During your up times, plan accordingly and always have a back up plan as if you are always losing a good chunk of income.

That way you will always be able to manage the low times.
Second Home 07:05 AM 05-23-2014
In this career it is always up and down . I went for 3 months with 0 kids after we moved . It is hard when you are not able to rely on a steady income .

I hope you find some new families to replace the ones who are leaving soon .
TickleMonster 07:21 AM 05-23-2014
I agree with" coolconfidentme" always keep positive thoughts because that will send out negative vibes when you do get an interview for new clients. We have learned that from past experiences. Good luck in your quest for new clients and don't give up.
Crazy8 07:29 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
If you do plan on staying in this line of work, get used to the continual cycle of change.

It's a given that the second you get comfortable, something will change.

If you are seriously looking for job security, you will NOT find it in the world of in-home child care.

During your up times, plan accordingly and always have a back up plan as if you are always losing a good chunk of income.

That way you will always be able to manage the low times.
yeah, that ^^^.

Unfortunately the ups and downs come with the job, in almost 13 years doing this I don't know how many times I've said if I don't get kids soon I will have to close up and get a "real" job - and every single time we've made it thru until the kids came. Thankfully my husband has a good job but we still need my income. I just went thru a similar issue of 2 kids leaving in October - AFTER I held their spots all summer, I was furious and it reminded me that the only one I need to take care of is ME and my family. Sometimes you need that reminder, but just get out there, hand out your business cards, mention your daycare to anyone who will listen and the kids will come. I went from Oct. to April on half my usual income, its tough but we made it. Now I am planning for just in case one of mine decides to leave in Sept.
Shell 07:34 AM 05-23-2014

JeepGirl6 07:39 AM 05-23-2014
Have any of you had any luck with handing out flyers or putting them in peoples newspaper box?

I have professional letterhead and business cards.

I was thinking about going around to the neighborhoods this weekend but I didn't know if it would be worth it.

I have already done this before at my old house and did not have one response. Last summer I drove around to businesses and asked them if they could hang up my fliers, not one call from that either.
cheerfuldom 09:56 AM 05-23-2014
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
Have any of you had any luck with handing out flyers or putting them in peoples newspaper box?

I have professional letterhead and business cards.

I was thinking about going around to the neighborhoods this weekend but I didn't know if it would be worth it.

I have already done this before at my old house and did not have one response. Last summer I drove around to businesses and asked them if they could hang up my fliers, not one call from that either.
Yes. I have paid teenagers to go and put flyers at houses (not in the mailbox). Got several good families from that.
cheerfuldom 09:58 AM 05-23-2014
as for the turnover, that is just a part of daycare. It is NEVER reliable. If you want something reliable, you will need to work outside the home.
LoraJenkins 07:15 AM 05-24-2014
I am in the same situation at the moment. I am down to 1 full time child and 2 drop in children. Luckily my Husband has a great job abd we can pa our bills woth his income. It will be real tight until I get more full timers. I am not advertising yet because I have never had to in the past. I have always gotten my clients by word of mouth and recommendations. But, if no bites soon I definately will advertise.

I am taking this time to revamp my policies and contracts. And looking to the bright side
originalkat 07:59 AM 05-24-2014
I will be 4 kids down in August due to kiddos leaving for Kindergarten. Not fun...but it always works out. I just try to keep a positive attitude and know the kids will come.
Mom of 4 10:57 AM 05-24-2014
Originally Posted by JeepGirl6:
So I am losing THREE kids!!! One today and 2 next Friday. I knew about the one leaving next Friday for the past month. I just found out about the other one yesterday( I require a paid 2 week notice). The one that is leaving today gave me a 3 weeks notice. Two of them are school teachers so they would be off for the summer. I require 50% payment for the summer to hold their spot. The one I knew wouldn't be coming back in the fall because her child is starting preschool. The other daycare parent just found out she is pregnant and decided she wants to be a stay at home mom after the baby is born so she wont be going back. Well then today she asks me if she decides she wants to go back for a few months before the baby is born if that is okay. I honestly think she just doesn't want to pay me the 50% for the summer. Then come August expects to be able to take her child back. I told her that would be fine. But if I do not have a spot I will not be available, I am not saving a spot for her especially with her not paying to keep her spot.

I just feel like once I get on my feet something happens like this. I am now short $600 for my bills so my husband and I have to figure out what we are going to do if I don't pick up kids. My husband does not make enough to pay my part of the bills. He wants me to go get a job so I have a steady income but then we would have to pay for daycare for our son. I just don't think it would be worth it. He also mentioned me about going back to Nursing School. I started my pre reqs for Nursing but then switched my major to Early Childhood Education. I graduated with my Associates Degree in 2009. Now that we have a child and want more down the road, I don't think I could go back to school right now. I would only be able to go in the evening because I can't afford to not work full time during the day.

I go on craigslist, care,sittercity, have a facebook account, have a website, have a professional daycare sign in my yard...I don't know what else I can do!

When my third parent gave her notice yesterday I almost started crying. I was shaking when she left. I was just so upset because financially I knew what it was going to do to our family income. I feel like I can never get ahead. We have $2,200 in medical bills we are still paying on from having our son, last year around this time the same thing happened so once my son was born we put everything on credit cards so now they are all maxed out. Two months ago I was finally full, I thought YAY! I will finally be able to pay off bills. NOPE!

I have said this in the past but now Its really sinking in...Daycare parents do not worry about me. They don't care whether I can pay my bills or provide for my family. I am just someone who watches their child, nothing more.
((((((HUGS)))))))) I UNDERSTAND!

Sometimes, I think some of us are never MEANT to be ahead, just to get by. But you are right, people always do what they want to do, and do not think of the others they affect. You can only do what you can do. Don't do special favors. The business is the BUSINESS, and when you start seeing it like that, so will the parents. So, good for you for telling the mom "sure you can come back but if I dont' have a spot, I'll be unavailable" She needs to know you aren't saving. Start advertising NOW as people are looking for care for summer and then also advertise for August/Sept. And collect some sort of deposit so the newbies know you mean business and that if they don't show, they don't get a refund either. Good luck, hope you can get some clients quickly
CtheLove 10:49 AM 05-26-2014
I don't think that it has anything to do with parents not caring about you. We are all running a BUSINESS. I have been on both sides, being a parent needing care and running a home daycare before and you need to understand it's nothing personal its just business. Parents have to do whats right for them and its nothing against you personally.
Reply Up