Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>And it Begins!!! Aaahhhhh!!!!!!
3kidzmama 07:11 PM 06-11-2011
I am opening a small daycare center on Monday. I have lined up seven children that will begin coming on opening day. One of the parents dropped by Friday to give me her registration, etc., and as she was about to leave, she says "I'll drop off dcg around 9 and her dad will pick her up sometime between 6-6:30."
I immediately said "no, we close at 6. We discussed this and you have the paperwork that states the closing time."
She said "oh. Well I thought a few minutes wouldn't hurt."
I replied, "we close at six. If you can't pick up by then, you need to look for alternate care."
She just shrugged and said "ok I'll see you Monday."
I'm not even freaking open yet and already have dcp not wanting to follow the rules!!! Sheesh!
GG~DAYCARE 07:34 PM 06-11-2011
The are going to test you and test you!!! Just like the kids! LOL I am sure you will do great...just stick to your rules and don't let anyone take advantage of you! Good luck!!
PolarCare 08:05 PM 06-11-2011
My kids haven't been in daycare since my oldest, now a teenager, was around 2, and even back then, the daycare he went to (a small center) charged $5 for every MINUTE past 6 pm that your child wasn't picked up. That would add up fast. I guarantee I got there to pick him up or made sure his other parent did so. Funny what you can schedule into your day when you are getting hammered with late fees.
littlemissmuffet 10:27 PM 06-11-2011
Wow. I wonder if her boss would mind if she strolled in 30 minutes late for work every morning... and said "well, I thought a few minutes wouldn't hurt".

You'll run into a ton of parents who don't respect your time and thusly, don't respect you. Then, you will run into a ton of parents who really appreciate your time, effort and work that you put into their family. It's really hit and miss. Just stick to your rules, and get used to saying NO EXCEPTIONS and you will be just fine. Best of luck your opening day/week! Have fun
Michelle 11:12 PM 06-11-2011
welcome to the "club"
nannyde 02:56 AM 06-12-2011
Originally Posted by 3kidzmama:
I am opening a small daycare center on Monday. I have lined up seven children that will begin coming on opening day. One of the parents dropped by Friday to give me her registration, etc., and as she was about to leave, she says "I'll drop off dcg around 9 and her dad will pick her up sometime between 6-6:30."
I immediately said "no, we close at 6. We discussed this and you have the paperwork that states the closing time."
She said "oh. Well I thought a few minutes wouldn't hurt."
I replied, "we close at six. If you can't pick up by then, you need to look for alternate care."
She just shrugged and said "ok I'll see you Monday."
I'm not even freaking open yet and already have dcp not wanting to follow the rules!!! Sheesh!
Yup
And once you start it will always be 6:30 and within a week or two that will turn to 7.

When she said she would pick up between 6 and 6:30 you should have said "oh okay then I will open my doors sometime between 9:00 and 9:30. Just hang out out front and wait for me... it shouldn't be past 9:30 unless I'm running really late. I'ts great to know that you feel "a few minutes wouldn't hurt."

If she thinks thrity minutes at the end of the day is a few minutes and won't hurt she is telling you that she has NO IDEA of the importance of time and what the concept of "daycare time" is. I don't know about you guys but an additional thirty minutes at that time of day would be VERY hard for me to know I had to do every day at the parents whim. I'm tuckered and want some time with DS.

Make sure she has a LATE by the minute hefty fee in place and charge it from day one no matter what the excuse.
Cat Herder 04:47 PM 06-12-2011
No exceptions.....

Good for you for stepping up to the plate immediately with a firm NO...

Brings a tear to me eye...
Abigail 07:21 PM 06-12-2011
How long did you advertise your spots? Do you think it will be hard with SEVEN kids all on your first day? I can't imagine that. I would prefer to start with 3-4 and then every week add 1-2 more to be full within a month, but I guess things don't always work out that way!
3kidzmama 09:09 PM 06-12-2011
Originally Posted by Abigail:
How long did you advertise your spots? Do you think it will be hard with SEVEN kids all on your first day? I can't imagine that. I would prefer to start with 3-4 and then every week add 1-2 more to be full within a month, but I guess things don't always work out that way!
I've advertised for about two months, but I also have a full time assistant working with me, so that number isn't bad considering there will be two adults there. I am actually licensed for 36 children, in a building with the space capacity for 72 (but I have no interest in THAT many kids lol). As we add more kids, I'll add more assistants. When we are full with 36, we will have 6 adults total, so that's a pretty good ratio.
3kidzmama 09:14 PM 06-12-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
When she said she would pick up between 6 and 6:30 you should have said "oh okay then I will open my doors sometime between 9:00 and 9:30. Just hang out out front and wait for me... it shouldn't be past 9:30 unless I'm running really late. I'ts great to know that you feel "a few minutes wouldn't hurt."
Sooooooo should have said this!! Lol love it!!!!

I definitely have a late charge, $1.00 per minute, and I have no problem enforcing it. My years of experience in special education in elementary school have hardened my backbone.... I know how to deal with parents! Lol
tulip1969 09:37 AM 06-13-2011
So you are actually a center, not a home provider? Best of luck to you! Stand your ground and charge those late fees. If the parents see you bending the rules for one family they will expect it for them too.
Sugar Magnolia 09:58 AM 06-13-2011
My husband and I have a small center too! Wow, jealous of your square footage! Lol! Welcome
Abigail 08:44 PM 06-13-2011
Was today your first day? How did it go?
momma2girls 07:09 AM 06-14-2011
Good luck to you!! Stick to your guns on everything, otherwise they will abuse and abuse you over and over!!
rjskids 08:14 AM 06-14-2011
I had a FRIEND do that to me also! I told her I closed at 5 and she (texting) wrote back PHEW! That's great cause my class gets over at 5! How do I hold a spot??
I said You have to BE HERE by 5:00 and she just said OK! Well, needless to say I filled the spot she needed anyways so I don't have to deal with that headache.
Tags:late pickup, new to daycare
Reply Up