Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Gloves to Change Diapers?
hgonzalez 06:05 AM 01-18-2013
Just wondering....how many of you in family child care homes use a new pair of gloves everytime you change diapers?
Crazy In Mo 06:14 AM 01-18-2013
I do not wear gloves. Thank GOD it isn't required by licensing.
laundrymom 06:27 AM 01-18-2013
I do if it's gross sick poo. But regular stool gets a handwashing and no gloves.
spud912 06:46 AM 01-18-2013
I do and I am legally unlicensed. I even do it off hours with my own daughter (but only when she poops).
williams2008 06:53 AM 01-18-2013
I use them at all times.
blandino 07:06 AM 01-18-2013
We don't use them, unless there is an explosive or very loose BM, if they child has a rash, or if I am applying cream.
mbullette 07:34 AM 01-18-2013
I use them every diaper change.
Willow 07:40 AM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by Crazy In Mo:
I do not wear gloves. Thank GOD it isn't required by licensing.
Ditto.

Not only would it be an incredible strain on the environment if it was required by all but what a pain when there are already so many steps in the process. I will double up on wipes if it's a bad bm but other than that handwashing is plenty for me.

All this extreme sanitation I do think contributes to the current fragile state of immune systems to boot.
itlw8 08:06 AM 01-18-2013
yes you never know what you will have until you take off the diaper. AND you never know if a child has a disease. I do usually only wear the right glove and as I pull it off the diaper is rolled up inside it.
EchoMom 09:09 AM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by itlw8:
yes you never know what you will have until you take off the diaper. AND you never know if a child has a disease. I do usually only wear the right glove and as I pull it off the diaper is rolled up inside it.
Me too. I wear only the right glove and the diaper goes inside it as I pull the glove off. I only wear a glove when it's a nasty one I don't want to play in. If it's just a wet diaper or "easy" poop no glove. Just a handwash.
daycarediva 09:19 AM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by EchoMom:
Me too. I wear only the right glove and the diaper goes inside it as I pull the glove off. I only wear a glove when it's a nasty one I don't want to play in. If it's just a wet diaper or "easy" poop no glove. Just a handwash.
This, cept I do it for pee too (requirement here)
hgonzalez 09:21 AM 01-18-2013
Well, I have 4 in diapers, so we are talking either 16 or more single gloves or pairs if I glove both hands. Someone that interviewed me asked me, and it made me wonder.

Atcthis point, I glove up if it is a very messy poop where I cannot contain it in the diaper or if I have to remove poopy clothing. Otherwise, the diaper goes into a single biodegradable bag and then into the diaper cn outside.
Then a good handwashing.

I think gloves are also awkward and I am more likely to make a mess with them on because they are cumbersome.
LoraJenkins 10:15 AM 01-18-2013
I do not use gloves...sometimes it would probably be a good idea though I had a DCB with the stomach flu last week and could have used them. I just wash my hands after. Note to self: purchase gloves.
Play Care 10:30 AM 01-18-2013

I do with every change. They are not my kids and I don't know if they have HIV/Aids, Hep C etc. (our med forms only have vaxes and the dr signing off saying they are cleared for dc) just not a chance I'm willing to take.
itlw8 11:15 AM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by Play Care:

I do with every change. They are not my kids and I don't know if they have HIV/Aids, Hep C etc. (our med forms only have vaxes and the dr signing off saying they are cleared for dc) just not a chance I'm willing to take.
Yep a parent does not have to inform you if their child has AIDS or other things so treat ALL children as if they do. My biggest shortfall is blood. I grab the child and then go treat. I worry more about thm seeing blood than it touching me and that is wrong.
kitykids3 11:17 AM 01-18-2013
I only use gloves when they have bm, but only for bm diapers and only the right glove that I wipe with. If it is a leaky bm where I have to change clothes, then I wear both. I have no idea if any of these kiddos have any disease and don't feel like feeling the poop.
Former Teacher 11:18 AM 01-18-2013
When I worked at my former center we had gloves. The director purchased them for the intent of not washing hands after doing diapers. I still did of course.

Anyway licensing came and we were told even though we had gloves we still had to wash our hands as well.

I don't know if its a requirement now.
melilley 12:12 PM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by Former Teacher:
When I worked at my former center we had gloves. The director purchased them for the intent of not washing hands after doing diapers. I still did of course.

Anyway licensing came and we were told even though we had gloves we still had to wash our hands as well.

I don't know if its a requirement now.
In MI it is a licensing rule in centers to wear gloves when changing diapers and when applying topical creams. And to wash hands. Actually we are to wash our hands, put on gloves, change the child, wash their hands and our hands, sanitize the changing table then wash our hands. And when we were in the process of being accredited through NECPA, we had to wash our hands again if we touched anything after we washed our hands when we were getting ready to change a child. (I used to work in a center)
In in home daycare we don't have to wear gloves, but if we do, we have to dispose of them right after they are used. I agree with others, you don't know what diseases the children may have, parents do not have to disclose if their children have a disease. To me it doesn't have anything to do with building up immunity to a disease, these diseases are serious and can be deadly. Like itlw8 said, I think instances where blood is involved, that is the time when it's easy to forget to wear gloves, you just want to help the child. One more thing, here in MI we have to complete Blood-Born Pathogen training whether we work in a center or have an in home daycare.
e.j. 12:13 PM 01-18-2013
I use gloves for all diaper changes. I didn't use gloves when I first started doing day care but once I did start to use them, I noticed I wasn't getting sick nearly as often. I'm sure exposure to all kids of germs probably toughened up my immune system but I'm also sure the gloves helped a lot, too.

A year or two ago, one of the kids in my care got C-Diff. She had had it over my vacation week and the parents brought her back thinking she was all set. She seemed okay - had been on an antibiotic all week, had no symptoms, was happy, eating well, etc. That first day she was back, she had an explosive bm. Parents brought her back to the dr. and she was re-tested. She still had C-dif. I was very glad I had been wearing gloves that day!
Oneluckymom 12:32 PM 01-18-2013
I do wear gloves when it poop. I wear one on my right hand only...this is the hand imuse to clean with. 9.99 for a box of 100 at walmart. Powder free non latex gloves.

Lots of disease transmitted through fecal matter.
itlw8 12:34 PM 01-18-2013
Another reason for us to wear gloves is we prepare food also. I you wear gloves for diaper changes you can just wash your hands before prepping food. BUT if you do not you are supposed to use a nail brush along with washing hands. not a licensing rule but something I learned in a sanitation class.
melilley 12:39 PM 01-18-2013
Another reason for us to wear gloves is we prepare food also. I you wear gloves for diaper changes you can just wash your hands before prepping food. BUT if you do not you are supposed to use a nail brush along with washing hands. not a licensing rule but something I learned in a sanitation class.
Makes sense! People do not think of all the nasty stuff that can be under nails especially if you don't wear gloves for diapers and don't wash with a nail brush. Here licensing requires gloves for serving/making food in centers, but not for in home.
daycare 12:44 PM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by hgonzalez:
Just wondering....how many of you in family child care homes use a new pair of gloves everytime you change diapers?
I do only for #2. I then wrap the diaper in the glove and discard
MarinaVanessa 12:47 PM 01-18-2013
I wear gloves at all times even though it's not a requirement of my license. When it comes to eating, toileting and diapering I'm VERY sanitary.

For diapering I wash my hands then take everything that I need out. I set out a diaper, a square of toilet paper with a dab of diaper rash cream, 4-6 wipes and a pair of gloves (I use a changing table). I put the child on the changing mat and put the gloves on and change the diaper. I wrap everything that I pulled out within the diaper (still wearing the gloves) and then I grab the diaper with one hand and with the other hand I pull my glove over the diaper and then take the diaper in my other gloves hand and with my now un-gloved hand I pull the glove over the other end of the diaper and then I toss the diaper in the diaper pail.

I'm not sure if that's the sequence that you're supposed to do things but I figure that since I'm not required to wear gloves but I do and I have less children than let's say a daycare center that I'm okay. I did sign up for a universal health precautions class next month and a part of it will be proper diapering procedures so we will see what I do right or wrong.
melilley 12:51 PM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
I wear gloves at all times even though it's not a requirement of my license. When it comes to eating, toileting and diapering I'm VERY sanitary.

For diapering I wash my hands then take everything that I need out. I set out a diaper, a square of toilet paper with a dab of diaper rash cream, 4-6 wipes and a pair of gloves (I use a changing table). I put the child on the changing mat and put the gloves on and change the diaper. I wrap everything that I pulled out within the diaper (still wearing the gloves) and then I grab the diaper with one hand and with the other hand I pull my glove over the diaper and then take the diaper in my other gloves hand and with my now un-gloved hand I pull the glove over the other end of the diaper and then I toss the diaper in the diaper pail.

I'm not sure if that's the sequence that you're supposed to do things but I figure that since I'm not required to wear gloves but I do and I have less children than let's say a daycare center that I'm okay. I did sign up for a universal health precautions class next month and a part of it will be proper diapering procedures so we will see what I do right or wrong.
We called it the diaper bomb...lol That's the way I was taught to do it too.
Meeko 01:02 PM 01-18-2013
It' s not a requirement to wear gloves here, but I wear one on my right hand for poopy ones.

Both hands for the ones when you can just tell you are going to be cleaning poop out of their armpits..........
saved4always 01:08 PM 01-18-2013
When I was legally unliscensed in my home, I did not use gloves. Now that I work in a center, I use them whenever I am dealing with poop or other grossness. If I went back to childcare in my home, I think I would start using them there. I really hate when I accidentally get poop or diaper cream under my nails.
AnneCordelia 01:30 PM 01-18-2013
I do usually only wear the right glove and as I pull it off the diaper is rolled up inside it.
I do this too. I am unlicensed and am not worried about extreme sanitizing or protecting my immune system. I'm worried about getting icky poo on my hand. Lol.
MarinaVanessa 01:30 PM 01-18-2013
Originally Posted by melilley:
We called it the diaper bomb...lol That's the way I was taught to do it too.
that's great! I'm glad to know they have a name for it lol. I didn't know that was how we were supposed to do things but I did it because it kept the smell of the diaper more contained
familyschoolcare 01:43 PM 01-18-2013
I wear a glove to wipe up when my youngest barely potty trained child misses the toilet which is about 1/2 the time he goes
Unregistered 11:48 AM 07-29-2016
Would you want your child changed with a glove used on some other child?
bklsmum 04:54 AM 08-01-2016
I do not regularly use gloves but I have a box at the diaper stations in case I want to but if I use them I only use them once per change. New kids would get new gloves. And I would NEVER use them in place of hand washing.
DaveA 06:11 AM 08-01-2016
Gloves every change. Pretty sure it's in the regs in IL, but even if it wasn't I would because you just never know.

I had never changed a diaper outside of daycare when my son was born. DW laughed when she walked into the nursery and saw I had set up a changing station next to the crib with changing pads, gloves, paper towels, and sanitizer. It never occurred to me that this wasn't part of a normal room for a baby.
Nurse Jackie 06:17 AM 08-01-2016
I ALWAYS use gloves. I don't want anything getting underneath my nails.
Tags:diaper - gloves, diaper changing procedures, gloves
Reply Up