Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Licensed and Starting Finally!
beachgrl 10:28 AM 08-15-2011
Hello all, I have lurked around for a while on the forums learning how you all handle different situations and how you have managed your own home child care centers. I got my license finalized last week and have begun enrolling children for my spots. My question lies in how you handle part-time spots. Do you offer them and how do you decide what to charge for them in comparison to your regular weekly rates? What do you consider part time? two days? three?

I am a former pre-k teacher whose program got eliminated within our school system and all of the pre-k teachers weren't sure what grade or school they would even end up so I decided to try opening my own center and have been getting ready for it since the late spring. I am also on educational leave to complete my Master's degree in education and will be starting fall semester next week.

I look forward to getting to know everyone and using this as a resource as well as being one for others on how things go for me!

Thanks,
Jen
Cat Herder 11:01 AM 08-15-2011
Since I am limited to 6 slots I had to get creative to be sure I did not lose income.

I offered 4 Full-Time slots and split up the last two into 4 part-time slots.

1. 2 slots of Monday - Wednesday - Friday at $60-$75 a week
2. 2 slots of Tuesday - Thursday at $40-$50 a week

(The going rate here is $95 to $125 week for full time care.)

You will have to set your own rates within your areas range.

Truthfully I like just having the 6 Full-Time slots for the consistency of the program. The kids are soooo much happier with less transitions to their routines each week.

Of course this is dependent on the ages you keep... Mine are all Newborn - 4.
newtodaycare22 11:04 AM 08-15-2011
Welcome! I was a public school kindergarten teacher who decided to leave to open my own daycare. I'll also have my Masters of Education in October

For part time, I started off offering 1-4 days a week. That was a mistake because I couldn't fill the other days and lost money. Now, I say part timers must come at least 3 days a week. (I don't have any though).

My full time is 160 a week and part timers pay 40 a day. My other advice is that part timers can throw off the feeling of consistency for kids. My kids love seeing every friend every day. A 1-day a week kid used to throw them off.
Cat Herder 11:06 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
I am a former pre-k teacher whose program got eliminated within our school system
I am sorry to be nosy, and you don't have to answer if it is inappropriate...

Is this happening alot??
newtodaycare22 11:10 AM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by Catherder:

Is this happening alot??
Not to butt in...but in my area it is.

Pre-k used to be for high need kids (special needs, English language learners and low income families). It was full day. This year it was cut to half day (which eliminated teaching positions.
snbauser 11:27 AM 08-15-2011

Is this happening alot??
It's happening here too. Our schools used to run the program and decided not to this year. The program is now going to be run by our division of child development - the same agency that overseas licensing - and will be housed in child care centers/preschools instead of the public schools. A lot of the Pre-k teachers lost their jobs.
Sugar Magnolia 11:45 AM 08-15-2011
Welcome Beachgirl! I am a beach girl too! Congrats to you! I do limited part time, either M W F or T, R. I charge more for part time: $40 per day. I run a small center and I limit part time to 2 spaces. Just never let anyone tell you "oh I need 3 days a week but those days will vary week to week. That's a big NOPE, because it makes it impossible to sell the remaining two days.
Good Luck!!
beachgrl 11:50 AM 08-15-2011

Is this happening alot??
It seems to be the first thing to go when they want to slash the budget, although I did get a call from a neighboring county about a pre-k teaching opening but the school is like an hour 20 min or so from my house so that is not happening. The other neighboring county has taken tenure from their pre-k teachers which is just crazy if they have degrees and are state employed like everyone else. The bigger city areas in our state have cut pre-k programs too and it is so sad because it is designed to target those at risk kids who need that jump start and now a lot won't get it and will start K behind.
beachgrl 12:00 PM 08-15-2011
Thanks for responding everyone and good to meet you all!

I was thinking that I probably wouldn't want to offer it at all unless of course I just can't fill the spots but I don't want to start of that way. The parent who asked me this is just looking now to use me as a possible drop in back up for her child who has been with another lady (just her child is the only one this lady watches) since she was 6wks and is almost 2 now. She asked me about the schedule and different things we would be doing and emphasized the ed aspect of it several times as she works with her and feels like she is ahead for her age and wants her to stay that way. She said she can tell what the other lady has been working with her on and works with her at home on those same skills, which is great and more than a lot of working families can do but she also said to me, "I will be able to tell if she is not learning anything or not doing anything"...and also, "I don't want to seem like "one of those parents" as she did quote marks with her hands, "but I guess I am and I worked in a daycare for 6 years so I know how those parents are"...and she also asked me if I had a problem with telling her what we are working on during the day. She is really good friends with another woman who is coming in the morning to meet with me who has a weird shift that changes every few months and who I am also unsure about taking on, her child would be mid-day to night time so I would charge her more because it would take up one of my full time day spots, but then her hours may change in a few months and be full days who knows...

I don't know, how does this strike others? I wasn't crazy about her saying she would be able to tell if she wasn't learning, as if I wouldn't be doing anything with the kids during the day but would just be saying I was?

I can definitely see your point on the regularity of having a set group and the alternating part timers as disruptive to the routine because with kids they really thrive on the consistency and predictability and can come unglued when they don't have it.
nannyde 12:29 PM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by beachgrl:
Thanks for responding everyone and good to meet you all!

I was thinking that I probably wouldn't want to offer it at all unless of course I just can't fill the spots but I don't want to start of that way. The parent who asked me this is just looking now to use me as a possible drop in back up for her child who has been with another lady (just her child is the only one this lady watches) since she was 6wks and is almost 2 now. She asked me about the schedule and different things we would be doing and emphasized the ed aspect of it several times as she works with her and feels like she is ahead for her age and wants her to stay that way. She said she can tell what the other lady has been working with her on and works with her at home on those same skills, which is great and more than a lot of working families can do but she also said to me, "I will be able to tell if she is not learning anything or not doing anything"...and also, "I don't want to seem like "one of those parents" as she did quote marks with her hands, "but I guess I am and I worked in a daycare for 6 years so I know how those parents are"...and she also asked me if I had a problem with telling her what we are working on during the day. She is really good friends with another woman who is coming in the morning to meet with me who has a weird shift that changes every few months and who I am also unsure about taking on, her child would be mid-day to night time so I would charge her more because it would take up one of my full time day spots, but then her hours may change in a few months and be full days who knows...

I don't know, how does this strike others? I wasn't crazy about her saying she would be able to tell if she wasn't learning, as if I wouldn't be doing anything with the kids during the day but would just be saying I was?

I can definitely see your point on the regularity of having a set group and the alternating part timers as disruptive to the routine because with kids they really thrive on the consistency and predictability and can come unglued when they don't have it.
I wouldn't take a parent like this because her perception of what she believes you do or don't do educational wise is going to be "conferenceable" on a daily .... daily... daily... basis. This is going to mean a LOT of staff time working with the parent. It's going to mean her giving you specific jobs to do with the child and want hard cold proof that you have done stuff like crafts.

She is telling you she is special because she has the spidey powers to know if you did school or you didn't and specifically what you did or didn't do. She is telling you she believes her child is gifted and wants assurance from you that you will feed the machine. As her child grows and she sees what her friends and families "gifted" ones can do she is going to hold you specifically acountable to make sure her gifted one is either equal or ahead of everyone she knows version of their own gifted one.

If you DO take her set a FEE for ANY educational consulting you do with her. That means she must pay for any conference she wants to discuss the child's education. Set the fee at at least 15 dollars for every fifteen minutes. This will keep the conferences down to what the parent REALLY needs.

This parent is going to need a lot of time... that's the long and short of it. You may end up doing a lot of one to one time with her daily, in the evening, weekends etc. If you take her just know up front that the parent needs their own adult for a significant amount of time weekly.

The other thing to consider is that the parents perception of the child may be very far off. I've had parents who believed their child was gifted ... REALLY intelligent and advanced and the child was actually profoundly delayed in really core areas of development. If this kid isn't really what the Mom believes it's going to be especially hard to communicate with her. The chance of her being what the mom says is really pretty low.

With part time... a minimum of three full scheduled days per week and the rate is 25 percent of the full time rate per day. The part time must pay all holiday and vacation pay at the full time rate.

Consider also NOT including education in your fee schedule and just having her contract with you for X amount of one to one education for the child for an additional fee. You have a degree so you can charge tutor rates and do it in addition to her care. Charge a really good fee for it and give the child what the parent is paying for.
Cat Herder 12:38 PM 08-15-2011
IMHO, after 17 years of this DCM#1 sounds like a PITA parent.

To me, It was a veiled threat, condescending and a control thing.

Add that with all the hinting of "I am more qualified and Will be able to tell when you mess up" (in her opinion)....leaves a bad taste in my mouth.

In her mind her daughter has been labeled "gifted"...she will never settle for less. Imagine if this child is behind on anything, even within NORMAL range....she will blame you. She TOLD you so.

BTDT... When their happiness depends on their child's giftedness...nothing good can come out of it for you. It reminds me of something another, wise, provider told me "When they tell you who they are, believe them".

Nan, I did not see your post.....
MNMum 12:46 PM 08-15-2011
I am only open Monday -Thursday and wasn't sure how to handle it when someone approached me for 2 days per week (I offer 3 and 4 day rates). What I ended up doing, was telling the family that I could do care for those 2 days, however, they would have to pay the 3 day rate. Then I will continue to advertise for the other 2 days, if I find a taker, I will lower their rate, as long as the other family remains. I'll have to get my lawyer friend to write me up a solid contract explaining the terms if it comes to this. The family figured I wouldn't let them pay for just 2 days, and is aware my three day rate is still a lot less than 2 days in center based daycare. So they signed on.
CheekyChick 02:04 PM 08-15-2011
Welcome!!!

For the most part, I offer 2 days, 3 days, and 5 days. It works out well for the 2/3 days because it equals a week and I charge an extra $5.00 (per day) for part time care.

As far as that gal "threatening" you - she may be a high needs mom and you should think long and hard before enrolling her little genius. I've had several of those "types" in the past and they are a handful - to say the least. LOL!!!
beachgrl 08:47 PM 08-15-2011
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I wouldn't take a parent like this because her perception of what she believes you do or don't do educational wise is going to be "conferenceable" on a daily .... daily... daily... basis. This is going to mean a LOT of staff time working with the parent. It's going to mean her giving you specific jobs to do with the child and want hard cold proof that you have done stuff like crafts.

She is telling you she is special because she has the spidey powers to know if you did school or you didn't and specifically what you did or didn't do. She is telling you she believes her child is gifted and wants assurance from you that you will feed the machine. As her child grows and she sees what her friends and families "gifted" ones can do she is going to hold you specifically acountable to make sure her gifted one is either equal or ahead of everyone she knows version of their own gifted one.

If you DO take her set a FEE for ANY educational consulting you do with her. That means she must pay for any conference she wants to discuss the child's education. Set the fee at at least 15 dollars for every fifteen minutes. This will keep the conferences down to what the parent REALLY needs.

This parent is going to need a lot of time... that's the long and short of it. You may end up doing a lot of one to one time with her daily, in the evening, weekends etc. If you take her just know up front that the parent needs their own adult for a significant amount of time weekly.

The other thing to consider is that the parents perception of the child may be very far off. I've had parents who believed their child was gifted ... REALLY intelligent and advanced and the child was actually profoundly delayed in really core areas of development. If this kid isn't really what the Mom believes it's going to be especially hard to communicate with her. The chance of her being what the mom says is really pretty low.

With part time... a minimum of three full scheduled days per week and the rate is 25 percent of the full time rate per day. The part time must pay all holiday and vacation pay at the full time rate.

Consider also NOT including education in your fee schedule and just having her contract with you for X amount of one to one education for the child for an additional fee. You have a degree so you can charge tutor rates and do it in addition to her care. Charge a really good fee for it and give the child what the parent is paying for.
This is so true and kinda long the lines of what I was thinking which is it would be more trouble than it was even worth. It doesn't make me confident in meeting with her "friend" who needs the varied shift times even if I charge her more, I am not sure I want to take her on either after meeting the other lady today. Nannyde, I have loved seeing your thoughts on many things on this forum over the past few months and am glad I am able to participate and get advise from those who have been there....done that!

I just have that nagging feeling of "what if I don't fill the spots"? so I feel like I should work with anyone who is interested but I don't really "want" to do that, I "want" to have a good fit with the families and fill the spots, I just need to have confidence that I will fill the spots in due time.
Tags:full time to part time, licensed, new member, part time care, part time to full time, start a daycare business
Reply Up