Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Really Need Advice!!
Provider_Manda 07:28 AM 07-08-2013
Ok I have family through county that is 3 children. Of course when they stay full time it makes for a nice pay check. Well around the second week of June their car broke down, it took over 3 weeks for them to get it fixed and last week the day they was suppose to return they didn't show up said they was sick, schedule them for Friday no phone call, I get an email after 11 saying that she is sick. I am really at my wits ends

I have used absent days, to try and get some sort of payment. I have people interested in spots, but I don't have a "backbone" to tell her not to come back. I feel bad b/c I know her family very well, and I don't want to kick them out when they are down on their luck..But she has lied to me a numerous times before so I don't really know what the truth is anymore. Any advice would be great!! Please
Blackcat31 07:32 AM 07-08-2013
Why not just be honest? Let them know you would love to continue helping them out and being supportive by "holding" their space without pay, but financially you are simply no longer able to continue doing so. Let them know they need to begin attending (or paying out of pocket) as of July xx, 2013 or their space will be forfeited and filled.

That way the ball is in their court and they can choose whether to pay you, attend or leave.

You won't be the bad guy in the situation and the ultimate decision as far as what they are going to do will be on them.

Bless your heart for trying to be patient and understanding but you can't allow yourself to take the financial loss because of someone else....kwim?
Provider_Manda 07:42 AM 07-08-2013
Yes I kwym..the only thing is we are not allowed to charge county assistance. So I guess I could just tell her that once her absent days are up then care will be termed?? I just hate this!!
Blackcat31 07:47 AM 07-08-2013
Ugh, the fact that you can't charge county assisted families for their extended absences is tough.

Makes it so a family has guaranteed child care despite the provider NOT getting a consistent income if the family is not a regular attendee....

I would definitely tell them that once their allotted absent days are up, the care will be terminated as you cannot continue to suck up the loss financially.

It is NOT fair at all to you.
My3cents 08:44 AM 07-08-2013
Originally Posted by Provider_Manda:
Yes I kwym..the only thing is we are not allowed to charge county assistance. So I guess I could just tell her that once her absent days are up then care will be termed?? I just hate this!!
I make it known up front that if they are on any type of assistance and that program won't pay they are responsible to pay. I am not in this business to help others out I am in this to make money to help my family out.

Kick side of it is if they are on assistance, they can't pay childcare anyway so it is in my best interest to stay clear of these clients.

I would just tell them that you need to have a reliable weekly income and unless they want to keep the spot paid for every week then your going to have to find someone else for that spot. Be honest and be professional from a business point.

Best-
DaisyMamma 09:11 AM 07-08-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Why not just be honest? Let them know you would love to continue helping them out and being supportive by "holding" their space without pay, but financially you are simply no longer able to continue doing so. Let them know they need to begin attending (or paying out of pocket) as of July xx, 2013 or their space will be forfeited and filled.

That way the ball is in their court and they can choose whether to pay you, attend or leave.

You won't be the bad guy in the situation and the ultimate decision as far as what they are going to do will be on them.

Bless your heart for trying to be patient and understanding but you can't allow yourself to take the financial loss because of someone else....kwim?
Blackcat is right. If county doesn't cover it then they have to. That's the way I would do it too.
Patches 06:12 PM 07-08-2013
Ugh, the fact that you can't charge county assisted families for their extended absences is tough.

Makes it so a family has guaranteed child care despite the provider NOT getting a consistent income if the family is not a regular attendee....

I would definitely tell them that once their allotted absent days are up, the care will be terminated as you cannot continue to suck up the loss financially.

this is what I would do.
Not to hijack, but this is exactly why I do not take state subsidy. As I understand it, it's not worth it at all. They pay a lot less then I charge. I cannot charge them the difference. They don't pay when the child does not attend (or is here for less than 4 hours and 1 minute). I cannot charge for those days. I'm pretty sure the only time you can charge is when they forget to swipe in or out and don't backswipe within 10 days. But once again that's only IF they were there that day
itlw8 07:50 PM 07-08-2013
the car broke down the 2nd week or June so they did not need childcare???? meaning they did not go to work...... no way they still have that job.

fill the spot.
daycare 08:09 PM 07-08-2013
yeah that was my thought......so if your car breaks down does that mean that they stopped going to work too? I don't want to assume, but if they went to work, that would mean they need childcare and since she is home with the kids, that means she is not working....Jobs don't hold spots right....

Let them go and fill the spots...that is a lot of spots to hold for a long time......

As BC said on here, you need to let them know there is no way that you can continue to help them out. YOu can't help others if you can't help yourself first...
momofboys 03:33 AM 07-09-2013

blandino 05:21 AM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by Patches:
this is what I would do.
Not to hijack, but this is exactly why I do not take state subsidy. As I understand it, it's not worth it at all. They pay a lot less then I charge. I cannot charge them the difference. They don't pay when the child does not attend (or is here for less than 4 hours and 1 minute). I cannot charge for those days. I'm pretty sure the only time you can charge is when they forget to swipe in or out and don't backswipe within 10 days. But once again that's only IF they were there that day
That is exactly it. And exactly why we don't take subsidy either. The reimbursement rate is 44% of what you and I charge, and that is only IF you get reimbursed.

Other states will allow the family to pick up the remaining balance after subsidy payments, which makes sense to me, but not in OK.
Cradle2crayons 08:22 AM 07-09-2013
Originally Posted by blandino:
That is exactly it. And exactly why we don't take subsidy either. The reimbursement rate is 44% of what you and I charge, and that is only IF you get reimbursed.

Other states will allow the family to pick up the remaining balance after subsidy payments, which makes sense to me, but not in OK.
The only reason I do take subsidy is because I can get the remainder from the parents. Because here, they only pay like $40 a week per child and I can't even FEED them with that amount. S the parents end up paying more than e state although its still less than if they weren't on subsidy.
HappyPennie 12:42 PM 07-09-2013

I agree with Black cat. I was recently in a similar situation where a family I had was making ends meat. When she signed I gave her a break and made an arrangement for payment with her because I want to help people out. Then she backed out of the agreement and I came up with a new one to make it easier for her...well a day later all of a sudden that wasn't going to work either so I told her half due on the first pay date and the other half is due with next payment. She agreed and then 2 days later told me there was no way she could get me half on the due date and wanted me to wait until her next pay date to get paid...that would have been a whole month! I was so angry...I had made arrangement after arrangement and she just kept giving me the run around. I was fed up. I told her after giving it some thought I need to stick with our arrangement of half now and half later. I apologized to her that I couldn't work with her anymore on payment but this is my sole source of income. My paycheck isn't any more negotiable than hers would be and I told her that. I said if I didn't receive payment I could no longer take her child. That was very hard for me to do...I normally bend over backwards to avoid confrontation but my family depends on my income and so does my daycare. It's hard to do but you have to stand up for yourself and your business. Sorry for the long story by the way. Good luck!
Meeko 09:33 AM 07-10-2013
I would not take subsidy if I couldn't charge the parents the difference. Luckily, I am able to do so in Utah.
Provider_Manda 07:43 AM 07-11-2013
Update: She was working, she has a friend that lives with her and she is able to walk to work. So she did work the whole month.

I contacted her through email and explained to her that she had an X amount of days left in absence and after those were used she would be terminated. She showed up the next day, and they have been here on time ever since Tuesday. Not sure how it will pan out after this week but at least I will get paid for this week.

I only charge private pay $25 a day so I am not that more than assistance pays. I like taking assistance b/c with absent days I am at least insured part time payment, weekly. So for me that helps a lot.
Blackcat31 08:06 AM 07-11-2013
Update: She was working, she has a friend that lives with her and she is able to walk to work. So she did work the whole month.

I contacted her through email and explained to her that she had an X amount of days left in absence and after those were used she would be terminated. She showed up the next day, and they have been here on time ever since Tuesday. Not sure how it will pan out after this week but at least I will get paid for this week.

I only charge private pay $25 a day so I am not that more than assistance pays. I like taking assistance b/c with absent days I am at least insured part time payment, weekly. So for me that helps a lot.
Glad it is working out so far...

I am betting she left you hanging because, well...because she could. You weren't saying anything and she was still getting child care but leaving you on the back burner....

Funny how you set a limit now and she is complying. If I were you, I would let her know that she needs to actually USE your services like everyone else when she needs care or you will terminate her.

YOU can't continue taking the loss when YOU are the only one losing out....

I totally understand where you are coming from about taking families on subsidy and some type of guarantee.

I used to think that too. I have since changed my mind, but our state assistance program has changed too so it was no longer any type of guaranteed payment.

Glad she is back and you will be getting paid.
Cradle2crayons 08:07 AM 07-11-2013

That's great it worked out... I hope it stays that way.

Here in ms the state doesn't pay me if the kids aren't here. They aren't allowed any absences or holidays.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 08:12 AM 07-11-2013
I am also in Ohio. We can only use 2 absence days in a row then we have to call county. Then they make contact and tell us if we can use any other days. So I am only "guaranteed" 2 days of a week ever. Generally then if they aren't going to work or whatever the county terminates their care.
I wonder why there is a difference.
Blackcat31 08:37 AM 07-11-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
I am also in Ohio. We can only use 2 absence days in a row then we have to call county. Then they make contact and tell us if we can use any other days. So I am only "guaranteed" 2 days of a week ever. Generally then if they aren't going to work or whatever the county terminates their care.
I wonder why there is a difference.
Makes me LOVE my state program.

We can bill up to 25 absent days per year. (ONLY if we charge ALL families absent days)

We can bill for 10 Federal holidays (ONLY if we charge ALL families holiday days)

We can also bill the final two weeks of care even if the parent simply stops showing up.... (as long as our contracts state we require a 2 week notice and we charge ALL families for the 2 weeks)

We can also charge the families anything additional that the state does not cover. It is very clear to the families using assistance that it is ONLY meant to supplement NOT completely cover their child care costs.

They are usually assigned a co-pay and the co-pay must be paid first before the state will pay out anything so I have the families pay their co-pays up front before care is given and then I bill the state after they receive care but only in 2 week increments.

I then do everything electronically on-line and after I submit my invoices on Sunday night, I receive a direct deposit on Wednesday night.

My state is also VERY good about the rates they reimburse. The difference between what the state pays and what I charge is only a couple dollars per month (Approx. $8 for a full month for one child full time is the difference).

My state also pays 15% more than the regular rate to providers with a degree or with a CDA or accredited.

Super easy and SUPER provider friendly.
Cradle2crayons 08:47 AM 07-11-2013
Makes me LOVE my state program.

We can bill up to 25 absent days per year. (ONLY if we charge ALL families absent days)

We can bill for 10 Federal holidays (ONLY if we charge ALL families holiday days)

We can also bill the final two weeks of care even if the parent simply stops showing up.... (as long as our contracts state we require a 2 week notice and we charge ALL families for the 2 weeks)

We can also charge the families anything additional that the state does not cover. It is very clear to the families using assistance that it is ONLY meant to supplement NOT completely cover their child care costs.

They are usually assigned a co-pay and the co-pay must be paid first before the state will pay out anything so I have the families pay their co-pays up front before care is given and then I bill the state after they receive care but only in 2 week increments.

I then do everything electronically on-line and after I submit my invoices on Sunday night, I receive a direct deposit on Wednesday night.

My state is also VERY good about the rates they reimburse. The difference between what the state pays and what I charge is only a couple dollars per month (Approx. $8 for a full month for one child full time is the difference).

My state also pays 15% more than the regular rate to providers with a degree or with a CDA or accredited.

Super easy and SUPER provider friendly.
Jealous
Unregistered 09:42 AM 07-11-2013
Our state has an electronic submission. Parents get a badge and they swipe in and out and if they do not swipe in and out then too bad, no pay for provider. Will not take subsidy because it's RIDICULOUS that they allow for NO absent days. I'm not a drop-in!

Additionally-they don't let you make up the difference so I may charge $125/week for my regular families, but if they only pay $85 then that's all I can take (that includes parent copays).
MrsSteinel'sHouse 09:57 AM 07-11-2013
The only way we can claim an absence day is if we were expecting the child and they cancelled that morning. So, if a child's parent knows they are off on a day and tells you ahead of time that they aren't going to be there, you can't claim it! So if they are out sick and call you to tell you they will be out for the week, you can't claim that week.
No holiday pay and I can't claim it if I am closed.
We also have a swipe system but it is good.
I only will take one family that is on assistance at a time. Honestly, the one I have now is fabulous. I can't complain.
Black Cat I am jealous also.
Blackcat31 11:00 AM 07-11-2013
Originally Posted by MrsSteinel'sHouse:
The only way we can claim an absence day is if we were expecting the child and they cancelled that morning. So, if a child's parent knows they are off on a day and tells you ahead of time that they aren't going to be there, you can't claim it! So if they are out sick and call you to tell you they will be out for the week, you can't claim that week.
No holiday pay and I can't claim it if I am closed.
We also have a swipe system but it is good.
I only will take one family that is on assistance at a time. Honestly, the one I have now is fabulous. I can't complain.
Black Cat I am jealous also.
I agree, our system is good but it wasn't always this way. I used to have to keep track of each days hours and the parent had to turn in a work report showing the hours they worked. Any hours that didn't align with hours of care provided, didn't get paid.

Everything was in 30 day increments. AFTER 30 days we turned in the sheet (parents turned theirs in too after their boss's signed and verified them first) then 30 days AFTER that, we would get mailed a check.

If the parent failed to turn in anything on their end, we simply didn't get paid. Of course, we didn't know if that happened or not until 30 days later AFTER we already provided care for the month...

They have now of course re-vamped how they do it so it is much more provider friendly now.

Then once the whole state government shut down and NO child care assistance was being paid out and no promises were made about any kind of back pay for providers who had already provided care.... Leaving tons of kids/parents without care or needing their provider to work for free until the state decided what to do.

It was a HUGE mess.... I had almost 75% of my families on some sort of assistance then so I basically lost my income for a couple months. Once the state started back up, I decided then and there I would no long take any more than 2 families on assistance at once.

I am surprised at how differently each state allocates it's funding for assistance.
Tags:assisted family, extended absences, families on assistance, holding a space
Reply Up