Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Would you offer...
Msdunny 03:31 PM 12-16-2018
I have a mom who has contacted me (daughter of a friend) for childcare. She is due in February, and won't start bringing her baby until May, most likely. I would love to keep him, but don't want to leave a spot open that long. Would you offer to hold the spot at half rate for that long? So, around 5 months? I feel weird asking her to pay for something when she hasn't even had the baby yet.

Thanks!
Blackcat31 03:45 PM 12-16-2018
Originally Posted by Msdunny:
I have a mom who has contacted me (daughter of a friend) for childcare. She is due in February, and won't start bringing her baby until May, most likely. I would love to keep him, but don't want to leave a spot open that long. Would you offer to hold the spot at half rate for that long? So, around 5 months? I feel weird asking her to pay for something when she hasn't even had the baby yet.

Thanks!
The only offer I’d make is for the family to call closer to when they need the spot and you’ll see if you’ll have the room. At that time.

I’m always floored that friends feel they have a right to ask a business owner they are friends with to take an income loss for them.

I would never ask a friend to give me something for free. Or even at less than cost.

If they offered that’s different but to ask is walking a fine line in my opinion.

Yet you feel weird asking for money for something you do for income.
jenboo 04:05 PM 12-16-2018
I always tell families that I will contact them if I have someone else interested in the spot and they can decide if they want to start paying full price to save the spot or pass and hope another spot opens up when they need it.
Ariana 04:22 PM 12-16-2018
I tell them to contact me closer to the time or pay for the spot
Josiegirl 03:22 AM 12-17-2018
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I always tell families that I will contact them if I have someone else interested in the spot and they can decide if they want to start paying full price to save the spot or pass and hope another spot opens up when they need it.
That's exactly what I do too.
littlefriends 05:06 AM 12-17-2018
This is what I do as well
Cat Herder 05:10 AM 12-17-2018
I simply offer the current slot at full price. Assuming they won't pay has cost me a lot of money over the years. Most parents actually expect to pay to hold the guaranteed slot. When we refuse to offer it to them they are confused.
lovemykidstoo 05:13 AM 12-17-2018
this is what I do too if I like the family and it's not that far out.
Msdunny 07:38 AM 12-17-2018
This is a great idea! Thanks!!
Snowmom 08:21 AM 12-17-2018
If the spot is available today, it's full price today or I will fill it with someone else who will pay full price.

Around here, infant spots are a hot commodity. If you can find one, you've found the magical unicorn in a dark forrest.
Tags:holding a space, holding spot - fee
Reply Up