Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>UGH Teething....Or Is It?
lovemykidstoo 07:50 AM 12-03-2018
I have written about this nearly 7 month old dcb before. He comes 3 days a week and is just so bad. He cries/screams and I mean screams nearly 3/4 of the day. If I'm holding him he's pretty much fine. Talked to mom and dad and they say that he doesn't do that at home, they swear he doesn't get held all day etc. Then they say he's teething. I said, have you thought of Tylenol? They were hesitant. I texted mom last week and said he had been crying all morning. She texts me back and says have you tried a bottle. Oh geez, I didn't think of that duh! Yea, mom I tried that. I asked her if she has given him Tylenol. Mom says no but if you have some give it to him. I don't have meds for kids. Not my job. So this morning comes. She said he did good the last 2 nights at home and that she had given him Tylenol before bed. I said great did you send him some today? She acted dumb founded. I said if you're giving him some at home because he's in pain, then he needs it here to. He doesn't go out of pain because he's here. ugh! So of course the moment she leaves, he starts screaming. Of course when I hold him he stops. He's something else.
storybookending 08:01 AM 12-03-2018
Are his days in care consecutive and consistant or is it more of a MWF deal or different each week? That could be part of the problem but honestly sounds more to me like the parents are probably lying about the child not being held all the time.
lovemykidstoo 08:05 AM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by storybookending:
Are his days in care consecutive and consistant or is it more of a MWF deal or different each week? That could be part of the problem but honestly sounds more to me like the parents are probably lying about the child not being held all the time.
He's Monday, Tuesday, Friday. He's 100% fine if I'm holding him. I showed his dad the "magic" one time. I sat on the floor at pickup and laid him down, he screamed. I picked him up he stopped. I did that 3 times. Dad says I swear we don't hold him alot at home. He's 7 months old and can barely sit up on the floor without help. He just got out of the swing at home. He spent the majority of his day in that. Also slept in the swing at home at night.
LittleExplorers 11:43 AM 12-03-2018
If he stops when held, I would have a hard time believing it was teething, but that's just me. I guess if you medicate you could always try one dose and see if anything changes. I do not medicate other than those from a doctor though.
Cat Herder 11:52 AM 12-03-2018
Originally Posted by LittleExplorers:
If he stops when held, I would have a hard time believing it was teething, but that's just me. I guess if you medicate you could always try one dose and see if anything changes. I do not medicate other than those from a doctor though.
I also would not allow a child who has been given fever-reducing medications to attend. I'd be very careful with this scenario. I can see it going bad pretty quick. Also, Tylenol is a pretty dangerous drug over time and in high dose pediatric forms. I would try to limit its use as much as possible. https://www.drugs.com/sfx/infant-s-t...e-effects.html It is fantastic for high fevers, but cryptic teething and growing pain, I'd pass. Frozen teether, washcloth or banana in a mesh feeder work much better.

It really seems more of a confinement equipment or lack of self-soothing skills issue. I have one giving me a had time right now, too. Hang in there.
MarinaVanessa 12:23 PM 12-03-2018
If he's only crying when he's not being picked up then I doubt it's teething.

And I'd be super hesitant to suggest to the parents to give tylenol. Tylenol and other pain relievers are only to be given when a child is in a lot of pain especially when they're under two. Teething doesn't even qualify for severe pain that would require a pain reliever. When given routinely everyday for teething it can cause more issues than solve them.

About 10 years ago there was a warning about fever reducers like Tylenol causing asthma if used routinely or often. Something about the acetominophen. I'd HIGHLY recommend against giving acetomenophen to any child under 5 unless they have a fever of 101 or higher and using something else for pain relief if there is no fever rather than give them acetomenophen.

It can also lead to liver and kidney failure, and poisoning of the heart
Tags:confinement equipment, teething
Reply Up