Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Bean Pole Teepee
butterfly 11:18 AM 05-07-2015
Has anyone made one? Any pointers? My wooden playhouse is getting rickety and needs to be replaced. I thought it would be fun to make a natural playhouse instead. Are there any climbing flowers that work for this? Any perennials? Just trying to plan long term.... Trying to figure out how much work this will be every year. Thanks!
Josiegirl 02:23 PM 05-07-2015
This will be my first year making one. We stuck bamboo poles in a wide circle the other day, then strung twine all around it, connecting all the poles and leaving an opening in the front. We're planning on planting green beans next week. recommended planting time for our area is after Memorial Day but we'll take our chances. Oh and because we made it bigger than what I'd found on pinterest, I crisscrossed some poles over the top too. Now watch the whole thing get top heavy and fall in on 'em.
butterfly 02:38 PM 05-07-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
This will be my first year making one. We stuck bamboo poles in a wide circle the other day, then strung twine all around it, connecting all the poles and leaving an opening in the front. We're planning on planting green beans next week. recommended planting time for our area is after Memorial Day but we'll take our chances. Oh and because we made it bigger than what I'd found on pinterest, I crisscrossed some poles over the top too. Now watch the whole thing get top heavy and fall in on 'em.
Thank you for the reply. Do you know how long/tall your poles are? Where did you get the poles? How big do you think their inside play area is?

Thank you!
Josiegirl 02:25 AM 05-08-2015
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Thank you for the reply. Do you know how long/tall your poles are? Where did you get the poles? How big do you think their inside play area is?

Thank you!
6' tall poles and I bought 3 packages of 6 each at Home Depot. Hmmm, how big inside the play area, well, it fit all 6 dcks pretty easily yesterday.
I used 2 packages and stuck each pole into the ground about 9-12" and set them maybe a foot apart, then the last package I tied over the top.

As far as climbing flowers, I'm not sure but that sounds really pretty.
butterfly 07:06 AM 05-08-2015
Originally Posted by Josiegirl:
6' tall poles and I bought 3 packages of 6 each at Home Depot. Hmmm, how big inside the play area, well, it fit all 6 dcks pretty easily yesterday.
I used 2 packages and stuck each pole into the ground about 9-12" and set them maybe a foot apart, then the last package I tied over the top.

As far as climbing flowers, I'm not sure but that sounds really pretty.
Thanks for the info. That was very helpful. I know there are a few climbing type flowers, but some are poisonous to children. I'm not knowledgeable enough to know which are safe. I'm really excited to try this project.

The more I think about it, I may have to wait a year to try it. I have one little special needs guy who tends to destroy everything. I can see this ending badly with him. He should age out next year.
AmyLeigh 08:53 AM 05-08-2015
Originally Posted by butterfly:
Are there any climbing flowers that work for this? Any perennials? Just trying to plan long term.... Trying to figure out how much work this will be every year. Thanks!
Does jasmine grow well in your area? That's one of my favorite climbing flowers because it smells so good. Scents are often tied to memories, so it can become part of the children's memories of fun times at daycare.

Morning glories and clematis are beautiful. But I think morning glories are annuals. Well, they are here due to the hot summers.
daycarediva 09:25 AM 05-08-2015
ivy works well and provides a thick cover.

I would love to do this, does it stay in the ground? Did you have to anchor it at all? Maybe I could weave some bright fabric strips around the poles until the greenery comes in.

You guys are bad for my bank account.
childcaremom 09:38 AM 05-08-2015
I want to do this, as well. Thanks for laying it out. Makes it seem do-able.
Tags:crafts, crafts - teepee, teepee
Reply Up