Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>School Aged Children
Play Care 11:44 AM 01-16-2013
If you provide care for school aged children - is there a time when they may outgrow your care before they outgrow the need for care?

How do you determine if it's time to move on? How did you let the parents know?
mom2many 01:16 PM 01-16-2013
I've watched lots of S/A kids over the years and watch them till they are 12 or start Jr High whichever comes first. I have one current child who will be 12 in May and her state paid daycare will be ending at that time.
Starburst 02:48 PM 01-16-2013
A FCCP I used to work for her policy said she cared for children ages 3 months to 12 years; but one girl she had since she was a baby (she was one of the FCCP's favorites) was technecly registered in her daycare until she turned 14 years old- she legally could not accepter her as a daycare kid anymore according to the state. The girl became one of her "junior assistants" - family/former daycare kids who help out at the daycare for some extra money or just to hang out for fun (no charge to parents because they do not count towards their numbers). She did have a younger brother who was like 9 or 10 years old at the time from and what I heard he was very spoiled and babylike (still drank from a bottle every night!) so he may have been too much for her to care for by herself at home and maybe they didn't want her home alone or something.

But I think it also because in this state it is techniquly illegal to leave a child under the age of 14 home alone; although many parents do- my mom left me in charge of my younger brother when she worked all the time since I was like 9- she was a single mom so she didn't have enough money for daycare and worked nights/weekends. But it also depends on the child. All of the daycare assistants were saying that it was kinda ridiculous that she was almost in high school and her parents were still paying for her to come to daycare for only like 2 hours a day- I wonder why they didn't just sign her up for babysitting classes or why they didn't just take her to volunteer at the boys and girls club. My fiance said he stopped going to daycare when he was 11 because he was almost in middle school and he was the oldest kid there. If the child was special needs or very irrisponsible or something like that then I can see them needed child care after 12 if they cannot get a nanny or sitter. But I would just give them of the option of 12 or 13 but I think in most states you cannot have older than 14.
melilley 02:54 PM 01-16-2013
Ours is 12 here, unless the child has a disability and needs care then it's 17 if I remember correctly. I don't know if it's just me, but I wouldn't feel comfortable leaving my 12 year old at home alone! Maybe I'm just too overprotective.
LK5kids 03:18 PM 01-16-2013
I think I have decided on 8 weeks through 10 yrs. In my past job (i am still certified) I taught Safe Sitter - a 2 day babysitting course for 11- 13 yr. olds. Lots of the kids that Take it are 12 yrs. but plenty are 11 yrs. they even learn CPR, rescue breathing, & how to save a choking infant or child.

I really do not want to care for an 11 yr. and figure if they are old enough for safe sitter they are too old for my program!
Lucy 07:00 PM 01-16-2013
For me, it just depends on how much I've grown to enjoy the kid. If that sounds bad, sorry. Just trying to be honest.

I started watching one girl from practically birth, and had her until she was almost 11. She has an October birthday, so this was when she started the 5th grade. Then I had her the summer after 5th grade when she was almost 12. She's now 13, and still rides her bike over to visit when there's a no-school day. I would have never wanted to term her. She could've stayed until age 13 as my state allows. But she's extremely mature and responsible, and it was completely appropriate for her to stay home at age 11.

However, I have had kids who I didn't get them until they were 6 or 7, and couldn't wait for them to leave. I've never had to term one for aging out though. Situations have always presented themselves where the family either moved, or grandma said she'd take the kid after school, or whatever.

Bottom line I guess is that if I WANTED to keep watching them, I would. If I didn't want to and felt they were too old or whatever, I would come up with some excuse to gently term them.

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". Right??
Play Care 09:21 AM 01-17-2013
Originally Posted by Lucy:
For me, it just depends on how much I've grown to enjoy the kid. If that sounds bad, sorry. Just trying to be honest.

I started watching one girl from practically birth, and had her until she was almost 11. She has an October birthday, so this was when she started the 5th grade. Then I had her the summer after 5th grade when she was almost 12. She's now 13, and still rides her bike over to visit when there's a no-school day. I would have never wanted to term her. She could've stayed until age 13 as my state allows. But she's extremely mature and responsible, and it was completely appropriate for her to stay home at age 11.

However, I have had kids who I didn't get them until they were 6 or 7, and couldn't wait for them to leave. I've never had to term one for aging out though. Situations have always presented themselves where the family either moved, or grandma said she'd take the kid after school, or whatever.

Bottom line I guess is that if I WANTED to keep watching them, I would. If I didn't want to and felt they were too old or whatever, I would come up with some excuse to gently term them.

"We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". Right??
Thank you! I had a school aged girl who came to me in K and it was a nightmare. FINALLY was able to tell her family that I would no longer be able to provide care as I had FT little ones coming in and would no longer have a spot (a white lie). I have two boys now who are just a handful. Two days a week they take karate and even though they are not supposed to be "practicing" anywhere but home...yeah right. Yesterday I finally had to have them sit at the table until their mom came to get them (not even 10 minutes) because they would not stop play fighting with each other and the other kids. They get too rough and hurt others. I do like them and their parents a lot - but I am leaning towards telling mom they need a program specifically geared for school aged kids.
I have plenty of things just for the school agers - I allow them to go in my dining room which is gated off to play legos, do arts and crafts, etc. I even allow them come computer time if they earn it by reading (either to themselves for a set time or to the little ones) - and this only for the school kids.
Reply Up