Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>To License or Not to License
HomeMADE 02:17 PM 01-27-2013
I have just recently opened my home daycare. In my state TN we can care for up to 4 children not related to you and up to 7 children at one time (other 3 related) with out a license. So my plan was to place an ad on Criagslist with my qualifications to have a "soft" opening. While waiting for a call I used the list of qualification requirements that I found at the state website.

In the meantime I got a call for a sibling group of 2 for 2 days a week starting with 1 day for the first month so the kids could get used to the new environment (Great MOM). I expressed to her during the interview that I was NOT certified but was in the process of it.

So when I did called the number to have a licensor assigned to me. Do you know that the supervisor called me back and said in the following:

She said "first I wanted to be sure that you were aware that you can care for 4 children without getting certified".

I said that I knew.

"She then asked me if my city, county, and community would allow me to have a childcare business out of my home".

I said yes, I had checked that information and I was good to go.

She then ask "how many children do I have and their ages".

I told her I had 4 children, 11, 6, 4, and 3. All in school fulltime except the 3 year old.

She then said "Well, I tell you that I suggest you not go through this process. All it does is make it harder for you, more stressful and you can only care for 4 children no matter what".

I said that I wanted to have the license for the uneasy parents and hoped that it would help me stay full. Plus you get to advertise on the county website as a approved provider. I knew this because this is how I found a home childcare provider for my kids years ago.

She said, "well if you really want to proceed I will provide you assign someone to you but I think you should think about it".

So I guess I am asking, should I go through the trouble? It sounds like a headache. Are there advantages to being licensed that you don't have when you are not, like tax right offs.

So in the meantime I have the 2 boys that have started and it is going well. And I have a baby, 9 weeks old, that starts the first week in Feb. If I keep these families this is all I am going to take right now.
Blackcat31 04:23 PM 01-27-2013
Personally I think it was very unprofessional of that worker to tell you that. While I am not in your state and am not familiar with how things work, I cannot think of any one reason to not get certified or licensed.

If it will help parents feel at ease, generate more business and guarantee you a listing on the state website as a certified provider, why not go through the process?

A part of me almost thinks you should mention to someone higher up that this intake worker told you that. It almost seems as if she was simply saying that because going through the process would potentially create more work for the licensing department. I don't know...it's weird that she would say that.

I would do it if I were you. Anything that shows parents that you are vested in this business and are willing to go above and beyond what is required is fantastic and shows you are in this for the right reasons and not to just make a buck.
Liliya 07:33 PM 01-27-2013
HomeMade,I am in TN and I was Licensed for 4 years,
When I first applied and lady came to see my house,she told me same thing,few times "remember, you can take care up to 4 children not related to you with out License" It sounded like she did not want me to be licensed,or maybe she was trying to say that you can start advertising while you wait for License. Anyway, I took TECTA in October 2006,got all paper work ready as soon as I could and got my License in March 2007. It took me couple of month to get my first client,in maybe 6 month I was full with six unrelated children plus my 2 year old son.When you are Licensed you can have no more then 7 children including your own under 9( you have 3 under 9) you say they are in school,but what you are going to do on No school days? summer? or even after school when you still have daycare kids at your house? So, if you get License you can take 4 unrelated children( because you need to keep room for your own kids) with out License you can keep same 4. I did learn a lot while I was Licensed and I was 3 stars childcare all the time,but it was stressful! Assessment,one time/year,but you need to show them everything! You can take TECTA classes,you can take free classes trough DHS just for yourself and post your certificates in your childcare for parents to see. This way they will know that you are serious about your job.
In 2011 I was left with 3 kids,(3 went to school) and in a same time I did not have anyone to take my own kids to school (my daughter was helping me,but she went to college) So,I decided to go with out license and keep 4,I gave parents a letter,explained my situation, they were fine with that,right now I only take one with me to school,rest of them come later,so it works for me!
I hope I did not confused you,but in your situation,you do not need to be Licensed. This is what I say to my new clients: I do not need to be Licensed,because I only keep 4 children Good Luck!
LaLa1923 08:17 PM 01-27-2013
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Personally I think it was very unprofessional of that worker to tell you that. While I am not in your state and am not familiar with how things work, I cannot think of any one reason to not get certified or licensed.

If it will help parents feel at ease, generate more business and guarantee you a listing on the state website as a certified provider, why not go through the process?

A part of me almost thinks you should mention to someone higher up that this intake worker told you that. It almost seems as if she was simply saying that because going through the process would potentially create more work for the licensing department. I don't know...it's weird that she would say that.

I would do it if I were you. Anything that shows parents that you are vested in this business and are willing to go above and beyond what is required is fantastic and shows you are in this for the right reasons and not to just make a buck.
Exactly this! I cannot understand why it would ever be legal to have a childcare and watch unrelated children. Smh
In Md it's not legal to care for children and not be licensed. Of course people still do it, but I hope they start shutting them down.
MissSarah 08:40 PM 01-27-2013
I'm pondering the same thing. I can only watch 2 kids OR 1 sibling group without being licensed. Being licensed allows me to have up to 7 kids. I don't really want to have more than 2 anyway but it would be easier to find families if I was licensed.

I think working on the certification requirements over time while still watching kids is a good idea. I can't think of a reason getting certified would be a bad thing and can't figure out why she would be encouraging you not to.
HomeMADE 08:52 PM 01-27-2013
Thank you for all the help ladies. It sounds like the response I received is part of their training,lol.

I do want to say that I am doing home daycare for the money. Is that the only thing, no. However I am a professional, and I know that it shows in all of my preperation (forms, home, policies, menu). And I really believe that is why the two families chose me. I promise you if we had millions I would be spending as much individual time with my own children and volunteering at their school a lot more, which is now going to be cut out But I know I am awsome with kids and I love having playdates for my kids (no education added). So why not be paid for educating, loving, and encouraging other children for I really really like to do.

I think I am going to continue to work on my certification while I supply care to the 3 additional little one, with only one being full time.

Again, thanks so much. I
AfterSchoolMom 08:10 AM 01-28-2013
I vote a big fat NO on licensing, but I've made my opinion on this clear here many times.

I feel that I strive for the best quality care, safety, etc. that is possible already, and don't need an outside entity coming and and telling me what I can and cannot do with my own home, even when DCK's are not here. I see so many stories of people who are made to jump through hoops, who aren't allowed to have basic infant equipment for their OWN babies, etc.... that just isn't for me.

Bottom line, though - you do what you feel is best for your situation and your family. Best of luck!
Cradle2crayons 12:24 PM 04-14-2013
I live in ms, and although I'm not required to be licensed, I am partnered with the nurturing homes initiative and with the powers that be helping me to get my CDA. One day, I may choose to be licensed, but for now, it doesn't offer me any advantages whatsoever. If anything, nothing but hassle. However, I do keep up with the guidelines and I follow the majority of them willingly, just don't have inspections etc. the NHI lady is very resourceful and has given me a lot of ideas that I implement in my daycare.

In general, parents local to me could care less about licensing and rely more on word of mouth than papers posted on a wall. I have 10 families on a waiting list right now, so I'd have to say not being licensed isn't affecting my business not one bit.
butterfly 10:14 AM 04-15-2013
Another advantage of being licensed is that you can participate in the food program = more money!

There are pros and cons to being licensed, but I'm as surprised as everyone else that the licensing rep would ever try to discourage you from being licensed.
Cradle2crayons 10:33 AM 04-15-2013
But doesn't the food program also dictate what you can and can't feed etc?
butterfly 10:46 AM 04-15-2013
Originally Posted by Cradle2crayons:
But doesn't the food program also dictate what you can and can't feed etc?
Yes, just as licensing would dicatate what you can and can't do also.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 10:59 AM 04-15-2013
I am licensed in Ohio. I see the advantage in maintaining the basic level of what is required. Honestly, I do like the inspections because it shows me my weaknesses. I like the required training hours because I know i wouldn't do it otherwise. I do participate in the food program and there are perks there. I have been affiliated with Head Start before and enjoyed that. It also means that I can accept kids that receive assistance. It also gives me leverage with parents if it is a state law. I also feel like I can charge at the top end of the spectrum because I maintain my licensing. My parents feel more comfortable with me "jumping through the hoops". Ultimately it is 6 kids, licensed or unlicensed but I feel as if it gives me an advantage being licensed. It tells parents that I am willing to go through the process and give their kidlets the best possible care I can.
AmyKidsCo 12:23 PM 04-15-2013
I'm a huge advocate for regulation because it helps ensure minimum standards of care for the children, AND helps protect you! I didn't realize it until my licensor pointed it out, but many of the rules are put into place to protect US, as well as the children.

I also think that it's a sign to the parents that you're willing to go the extra mile to provide the best for their children.
Tags:certified, licened
Reply Up