Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>From Full Time to Part Time
curiouskids 07:51 AM 06-13-2018
I am hoping you can help me I have a family who started part time and changed to full time last fall. At that point I had them update their last two weeks payment that I collect in advance to reflect their new weekly payment. Well last week they gave notice that they are changing back to part time. I'm not sure what to do with the last two weeks payment I received. Should I keep it as is or refund them to equal their new payment? DCM has not said anything about it. They are on vacation this week and next week will be there last week full time. Thank you for your insight!!
boy_mom 08:00 AM 06-13-2018
I would refund to reflect the amount their current two weeks notice would require.
Cat Herder 08:11 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
I would refund to reflect the amount their current two weeks notice would require.
I would do the same.
nannyde 08:27 AM 06-13-2018
I require a one month notice of changes that lower my income. I also charge a higher daily rate for part time. I also require a fixed schedule with no make up days for absences.
Blackcat31 08:35 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by nannyde:
I require a one month notice of changes that lower my income. I also charge a higher daily rate for part time. I also require a fixed schedule with no make up days for absences.
I agree with more notice for income changes...

Wondering if OP allows parents to just switch back and forth like that when ever it suits them... I mean I understand job changes (once, maaayyybbbeee twice if two parent family) but I have a family that would swap back and forth between full and part time every other month if I allowed it.

I can't budget like that so I don't. They pick ONE enrollment status (full OR part) and pay/attend accordingly.
Cat Herder 08:42 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I can't budget like that so I don't.
Me either. That is why I don't have a part-time option.

Too much income insecurity, schedule and ratio juggling for my taste.
amberrose3dg 09:09 AM 06-13-2018
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I agree with more notice for income changes...

Wondering if OP allows parents to just switch back and forth like that when ever it suits them... I mean I understand job changes (once, maaayyybbbeee twice if two parent family) but I have a family that would swap back and forth between full and part time every other month if I allowed it.

I can't budget like that so I don't. They pick ONE enrollment status (full OR part) and pay/attend accordingly.
same maybe you need to tell them they cant switch back and fourth. Or tell them you will be interviewing for a full time and when one comes along you will replace. I no longer do part time. They can attend part time but not pay for part time. Also be prepared for them to want to switch days when their day to attend falls on a holiday or want a makeup day. It was painful for me to try to constantly explain that over and over to the same part time parents. Just something to consider.
Ariana 09:49 AM 06-13-2018
I had this happen with a family and I simply refunded the difference during their last two weeks of care. Of course if they had asked for it right away I would have done that too but they didn’t.
mommyneedsadayoff 10:42 AM 06-13-2018
I would use the two week notice payment for this week and next week. On their first part-time week, as if they are re-enrolling, they make their payment, as well as a new 2-week notice payment that reflects their part-time rate. I also charge higher for part-time, so when they make the switches, it's not so impactful on my income.
curiouskids 10:59 AM 06-13-2018
Thank you for your input! DCM went from part time to full time last fall and now DCD is working nights and will be home Thursday and Friday. They will have a new contract and specific days. My part time rate is more than my daily rate and more than they were paying last time I don't post often but read all the time and you all have really helped me develop my policies! Thanks again
Tags:full time to part time
Reply Up