Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>And You're Outta Here!
Unregistered 08:27 AM 07-31-2018
I'm done with this parent!
Has paid late every week for the last month, has somewhat paid late fees... but not all of them.
Doesn't every drop off at the right time.
Dropped her son of in underwear even after I told her he could not wear them yet.
And today had grandpa drop off with NO communication, and no bag (which means no diapers/wipes)

She has only lasted this long because she's one of two families, and I can't really afford to loose anyone. However, I'm done dealing with this. I have no idea what happened, she was a great parent for the first 4-5 months, then something happened and everything just seemed to switch...

Now my question is, she has paid a two week registration fee, that is to be applied to the last two weeks of care. Our contract/handbook says there are no refunds. So if we kick her out, she's just out that money right?
Blackcat31 08:42 AM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Has paid late every week for the last month, has somewhat paid late fees... but not all of them.
Dropped her son of in underwear even after I told her he could not wear them yet.
And today had grandpa drop off with NO communication, and no bag (which means no diapers/wipes)

She has only lasted this long because she's one of two families, and I can't really afford to loose anyone. However, I'm done dealing with this. I have no idea what happened, she was a great parent for the first 4-5 months, then something happened and everything just seemed to switch...

Now my question is, she has paid a two week registration fee, that is to be applied to the last two weeks of care. Our contract/handbook says there are no refunds. So if we kick her out, she's just out that money right?
Personally, I'd apply the 2 weeks fees toward any unpaid late fees. I know alot of providers add "no refunds" to their handbooks and/or contracts but if I am unwilling to provide care I wouldn't feel right about keeping any money.

IF the parent was given a 2 week notice and then behaved badly during that notice period or if they didn't provide a notice of withdrawal to me, then I would absolutely keep the money but personally, I don't think it's right to keep funds (after late fees and any other unpaid fees are paid) for not doing anything.

I'm sure others may see it differently but that's my 2 cents.

I'm sorry this family turned out to be so crazy....it's one thing to have a crazy client but even sadder when they morph into one after being a good client.
Unregistered-OP 08:51 AM 07-31-2018
I thought about that, that I would be keeping it and not providing care, but my thought is that she has technically broken the contract...
amberrose3dg 08:54 AM 07-31-2018

My thoughts give her a two week notice providing she brings supplies etc. She most likely pull because she will be mad and then you can keep the two weeks without issue. If she doesn't pull and violates your agreement then term on the spot with no refunds.
Unregistered-OP 08:58 AM 07-31-2018
I did think about giving her a notice that said something along the lines of "due to consistent late payments, we will be on a probation period for the month of August. Charges of $20/day will now be made if payment is late. If payment is late during this period, care will be terminated immediately"

Fee is usually $10/day. I don't know if I should say, the fee is $20 AND you get booted, or say that it's $20 and if you do it twice you get booted?

The biggest reason she isn't paying the correct late fee, is that she doesn't understand (or chooses not to, since I have spelled it out for her a few times) that payment is late as of 5:16 on Friday, and and additional charge occurs each day at 5:16. She will pay Saturday morning and include no fee. Or pay Saturday at 7:30pm and only add $10. I wish there was a way to automatically add a fee so she has no other option.
amberrose3dg 09:00 AM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by Unregistered-OP:
I did think about giving her a notice that said something along the lines of "due to consistent late payments, we will be on a probation period for the month of August. Charges of $20/day will now be made if payment is late. If payment is late during this period, care will be terminated immediately"

Fee is usually $10/day. I don't know if I should say, the fee is $20 AND you get booted, or say that it's $20 and if you do it twice you get booted?

The biggest reason she isn't paying the correct late fee, is that she doesn't understand (or chooses not to, since I have spelled it out for her a few times) that payment is late as of 5:16 on Friday, and and additional charge occurs each day at 5:16. She will pay Saturday morning and include no fee. Or pay Saturday at 7:30pm and only add $10. I wish there was a way to automatically add a fee so she has no other option.
Go with that but decide if you want to term after one late payment. I can tell you from experience once they start paying late they are hard to stop that habit.
boy_mom 09:05 AM 07-31-2018
If it's an immediate term I would refund the two weeks, minus any money or late fees she owes.

If you give two week notice, remind her that there are no refund and that ANY rules broken result in immediate termination and no refunds. Have her date and sign.

I wouldn't get into higher late fees or other options for rule breaking at this point. Parents on 2 week notice act out and will probably not pay any late fees or penalties since they are leaving. Definitely not worth the hassel!!!!
Unregistered 09:19 AM 07-31-2018
Originally Posted by boy_mom:
If it's an immediate term I would refund the two weeks, minus any money or late fees she owes.
So because they broke the contract, and got kicked out, they should get their money back? Why? I'm out those two weeks because they messed up?
boy_mom 10:15 AM 07-31-2018
So because they broke the contract, and got kicked out, they should get their money back? Why? I'm out those two weeks because they messed up?
I would refund if I was refusing services. You asked for advice, I'm just giving my opinion...
Blackcat31 10:16 AM 07-31-2018
Because you aren't willing to provide services the last two weeks.
If parent broke the contract, then terminate them but you can't just keep money for nothing.

Well you can, but it's not very professional or ethical in my opinion.

You wouldn't be out those two weeks unless you choose to be.

Whether right or wrong, it more than likely depends on exactly what wording you have in your contract because that should dictate what happens next. If it's not addressed in your contract, it might be time to add it in.
amberrose3dg 10:25 AM 07-31-2018
If you are worried being out the money give her a two week notice. I have yet to have a family stick around when I give them notice no matter what. They usually get mad and leave. With that said make it clear that she needs to follow the rules and not show up late, without supplies etc... as that will cause immediate termination and forfeit of refund.
Unregistered-OP 10:52 AM 07-31-2018
My contract says:
"A two week, non-refundable payment must be received within the first 4-6 weeks of care, with payment plans in place. This payment will be applied to your last two weeks of attendance"
mommyneedsadayoff 11:06 AM 07-31-2018
My contract says:
"A two week, non-refundable payment must be received within the first 4-6 weeks of care, with payment plans in place. This payment will be applied to your last two weeks of attendance"
If you are terming immediately, then you should apply the fee to the last two weeks of care you have provided. If you would like to provide a two week notice, then apply it to the next two weeks of care. Your contract says last two weeks of ATTENDENCE, so if you won't allow them to attend, it should be retro active for the past two weeks.

As for breaking contract, you allowed them too. If you dont provide care when they break the contract, people like this will weed themselves out. If you let the be late, pay late, not bring adequate supplies, then you are going to get taken advantage of. But their bad behavior should not dictate your own, so if you dont plan to provide care, then apply the fee towards the past two weeks and refund any other money prepaid. Hope you can find a better fit!
Unregistered-OP 12:03 PM 07-31-2018

I don't intended to terminate immediately, or loose my 2 weeks. I just am not sure If I want to do a "late again and you're out" or raise the fee, or both. I think I'll probably go with the first option. She was aware when she enrolled that the 2 week fee is to cover if she gives two week notice, but is non-refundable. I don't mind giving her 2 weeks if she actually does what she is supposed to do. If not she is choosing to leave before using her registration fee.
Tags:terminate - late payments
Reply Up