Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Tornado Procedure
TwinMama 11:18 AM 04-05-2021
What do you have written for a tornado procedure. I have a few places that I can use, but I'm not sure which is the best place to choose.
Pestle 11:44 AM 04-06-2021
I don't have a good spot and I'd like the group's opinion. I have a weather radio with battery backup, so there's that. I'm doing fire drills monthly so the kids are learning to hop to it when there's an alarm and I start issuing instructions. But there's noplace for us to go during the frequent tornadoes here.

It's a ranch, so there are no interior rooms. There are also no closets except in the bedrooms, and those are full.

There's a tiny interior hallway, but the big HVAC unit is right above it in the attic.

There's a wee little closet on a brick exterior wall in the playroom.

Which of those spots is better?
TwinMama 12:31 PM 04-06-2021
Originally Posted by Pestle:
I don't have a good spot and I'd like the group's opinion. I have a weather radio with battery backup, so there's that. I'm doing fire drills monthly so the kids are learning to hop to it when there's an alarm and I start issuing instructions. But there's noplace for us to go during the frequent tornadoes here.

It's a ranch, so there are no interior rooms. There are also no closets except in the bedrooms, and those are full.

There's a tiny interior hallway, but the big HVAC unit is right above it in the attic.

There's a wee little closet on a brick exterior wall in the playroom.

Which of those spots is better?
I have a ranch as well. My spots are:

Under the basement stairs where we have a storage area.

In a "cellar" area that's insulated where I store my extra toys.

A bathroom in the basement that doesn't have windows.
Pestle 01:39 PM 04-06-2021
Oh, that's good. Do you have a weather radio? Could you do an occasional tornado drill like you do a fire drill? And just a brief statement like:

In the event of a tornado we will shelter in location X. A weather radio with battery back up is located in the house. The children will be familiarized with sheltering in place.

We are adjacent to a floodplain and people don't have basements here if they know what's good for them
TwinMama 08:42 AM 04-07-2021
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Oh, that's good. Do you have a weather radio? Could you do an occasional tornado drill like you do a fire drill? And just a brief statement like:

In the event of a tornado we will shelter in location X. A weather radio with battery back up is located in the house. The children will be familiarized with sheltering in place.

We are adjacent to a floodplain and people don't have basements here if they know what's good for them
That's perfect! Thank you!!!
Tags:disaster plan, emergency plan, emergency preparedness plan, emergency response plan, tornado
Reply Up