Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Do You Take The Phone Outside?
Unregistered 10:56 AM 03-12-2015
I currently don't take mine out with me but wondered what everyone else does? Should I take it out with me? I've had parent call when we are outside and when they arrive for pick mention they tried to call and there was no answer is everything alright? So it got me thinking should I take it out with me its a cordless not a cell we have to have hard wired landline per licensing.
butterfly 10:59 AM 03-12-2015
I don't take mine out. I return calls after hours.
Gemma 11:01 AM 03-12-2015
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
I currently don't take mine out with me but wondered what everyone else does? Should I take it out with me? I've had parent call when we are outside and when they arrive for pick mention they tried to call and there was no answer is everything alright? So it got me thinking should I take it out with me its a cordless not a cell we have to have hard wired landline per licensing.
I have my cell with me in case parents try to reach me, whoever call the landline can leave a message
Unregistered 11:02 AM 03-12-2015
I take the cordless with me,my emergency contact #'s, mini 1st aid kit and wipes. Just easier to have it all on hand should I need it.
VTMom 11:05 AM 03-12-2015
When the weather's nice, I'll have the cordless with me. Otherwise, I just have my cell. All but one DCP regularly contacts me via text/messaging, so most of the time, the cordless is for other calls. My own kids are in school, so I like to be accessible for that reason as well.
Blackcat31 11:07 AM 03-12-2015
I take the cordless with me,my emergency contact #'s, mini 1st aid kit and wipes. Just easier to have it all on hand should I need it.
This ^^^

I don't go anywhere without my emergency contact (index cards on a ring), my first aid kit, my cordless phone, my cell phone, wet wipes and a plastic bag (for garbage).
LysesKids 11:29 AM 03-12-2015
My cell (only phone) goes outside along with wipes & mini first aid kit; emergency contacts are in the phone under each child's name
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:41 AM 03-12-2015
yes, I take it outside if we are in the yard. I take cell when we go for walks per licensing - which is so funny because 90% of the village I live in doesn't have cell coverage! My parents expect the answering machine though because if we are busy I let it pick up anyway.
I do not take emergency contact info with me in the yard because it is right inside the playroom door if I would need it. But first aid kit.
DaveA 11:42 AM 03-12-2015
My only # is my cell, so it is always with me.
Pepperth 11:43 AM 03-12-2015
I only have a cell phone, but it goes outside every time.
MrsSteinel'sHouse 11:44 AM 03-12-2015
Ohio requires a land line and a cell.
Unregistered 11:54 AM 03-12-2015
I have my landline forwarded to my cell through the phone company. So if I don't answer my landline after several rings it goes right to my cell and starts ringing.
Annalee 11:56 AM 03-12-2015
I have my landline forwarded to my cell through the phone company. So if I don't answer my landline after several rings it goes right to my cell and starts ringing.
I do that too. We are required to have a landline for licensing.
daycare 11:57 AM 03-12-2015
my phone is set up with every emergency contact so it goes where ever i got all day long no matter where.
Crazy8 12:07 PM 03-12-2015
I take my cell everywhere. None of my dc parents call my house, they all text my cell. Plus it has all emergency contact info in it, along with a picture of each child, etc. etc. so god forbid anything happened I would have all that at my fingertips.
melilley 12:39 PM 03-12-2015
Yes, I do. We have to have a phone by us at all times for licensing. Plus, I feel safer bringing it outside. What if there is an emergency?
Second Home 01:49 PM 03-12-2015
I take out both the house phone and my cell . All dcp numbers are in my cell in case of emergency.
Unregistered 07:19 PM 03-13-2015
Cell goes out to the yard with us
Cell, emergency cards, parents numbers, first aid kit has to go on walks
permanentvacation 08:40 PM 03-13-2015
Yes, I take my house/business phone outside with me. I don't want a parent to call and be worried that some sort of emergency happened because they couldn't get a hold of me. I don't want them to be calling to tell me they are picking up early, but I not hear the phone ready, so I can't get their child ready. I don't want to be outside waiting for the parent to pick up only to have them calling the phone that I can't hear to tell me they are going to be late. Yeah, there are a lot of reasons that I make sure to have the phone with me at all times.
Crazy8 07:23 AM 03-14-2015
I actually even have in my contract that there will be times I can not answer the phone and voice mail will be utilized and I will return your call at my earliest convenience. If I have a baby on the changing table and am elbow deep in poop I am NOT running for the phone and parents know not to panic if god forbid I don't answer on the first ring. They can leave a message. Patience is a virtue (that many people need to get!).
originalkat 07:07 PM 03-15-2015
I always bring mine outside (cell).
AmyKidsCo 09:34 AM 03-16-2015
I bring my cell & my cordless. But I don't always answer them...
permanentvacation 10:08 PM 03-16-2015
I don't have it in my contract like Crazy 8 does, but, like her, I also don't drop everything to run to the phone. If I'm busy with the kids, and I can't get to the phone, I let it go to voice mail and I return their call when I get a break from working with the children. But I do make to have the phone close enough that if I am able to, I can answer it. When we are inside the house, my phone is in it's cradle (hung up) on my kitchen counter which is in between my kitchen and dining room. My daycare room is the next room over (the living room) with a wide opening between the rooms. When we are outside, I take the phone out with us and sit it on the porch. I might be all the way by the front gate ( about 20 feet away), but I can still hear it ring.

If it's close to pick up time, I do my best to answer it mainly out of concern that parents are calling to tell me they are going to be late. I want to answer those calls so I can let them know that I have plans after work and they need to get here as close to on time as possible. And so I know how late I will unexpectedly have their child.
Reply Up