Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>I Hate Holidays
Thriftylady 03:44 PM 10-28-2015
Well the effect they have on kids anyway. Geesh. Tomorrow is our trick or treat. They do it here on a set day at a set time time (6-8 pm). They always do it on a school night, in an effort to get kids off the streets early. I am okay with that, but I have my two DCGs in the evening. In fact, DD is taking them TOT tomorrow night. They are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO overly wound up tonight. Driving me nuts. And of course they will be tomorrow also. I remember from when I was doing daycare before the week leading up to Christmas is always a nerve breaker also.

Thanksgiving shouldn't be bad here, since mom is a nurse and will be working. She asked me last night if I could keep the girls that day if their dad can't. I guess he told her the other day he has a court date and may be going away for 180 days. I usually don't have them on weekends either but she now needs me for some of those also due to this. She is great, the girls are mostly great, so no biggie.... Except when they are wound to tight.
Laurel 06:58 PM 10-28-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
Well the effect they have on kids anyway. Geesh. Tomorrow is our trick or treat. They do it here on a set day at a set time time (6-8 pm). They always do it on a school night, in an effort to get kids off the streets early. I am okay with that, but I have my two DCGs in the evening. In fact, DD is taking them TOT tomorrow night. They are SOOOOOOOOOOOOOO overly wound up tonight. Driving me nuts. And of course they will be tomorrow also. I remember from when I was doing daycare before the week leading up to Christmas is always a nerve breaker also.

Thanksgiving shouldn't be bad here, since mom is a nurse and will be working. She asked me last night if I could keep the girls that day if their dad can't. I guess he told her the other day he has a court date and may be going away for 180 days. I usually don't have them on weekends either but she now needs me for some of those also due to this. She is great, the girls are mostly great, so no biggie.... Except when they are wound to tight.
I don't get how trick or treat can be two days early officially. That's weird.

Laurel
Thriftylady 07:54 PM 10-28-2015
Originally Posted by Laurel:
I don't get how trick or treat can be two days early officially. That's weird.

Laurel
It is that way here almost every year. Unless the 31st falls on a school night. It is county wide, and most of the surrounding counties do it the same way. I do like that it is set times so you know that at 8 you shut the lights out. I guess I am glad we are just getting it over with. But today was awful and tomorrow from the time school it out until the night is over will be bad also, kids wound up wise anyway.
Baby Beluga 08:30 PM 10-28-2015
I grew up in Columbus and remember it being a scheduled night too. They would always post it in the paper.

What a surprise when I moved to the southwest, started my own family and learned there is no set day/time. It is Halloween night "from the first to last knock" as the neighbors say.
Josiegirl 02:49 AM 10-29-2015
It's always been on the night of...and am so glad it's Saturday this year. No craziness the day of TOT and no crashing cranky kids the next day. Hopefully they'll all be back to normal come Monday a.m. And I set my own times, if they're not here by the time I want to go to bed and read, lights go out automatically.
I used to have a neighbor that always seemed like an old 'curmudgeon'. She kept her lights off every Halloween. Now that I'm older, I can completely see why she did that.
hope 07:13 AM 10-29-2015
Having it on a Saturday is confusing here. Not many houses are into giving out treats on a regular weekday. I feel a lot go out just to avoid it. When it falls on a weekend, no one knows when to go trick or treating and people definitely dont wait around all day to hand out candy.
I invite daycare families to go trick or treating with us so now thats its on a Saturday, its like an extra day of work for me. I order pizza and makes some treats and we all go out after around the neighborhood.
Laurel 10:13 AM 10-29-2015
Originally Posted by Thriftylady:
It is that way here almost every year. Unless the 31st falls on a school night. It is county wide, and most of the surrounding counties do it the same way. I do like that it is set times so you know that at 8 you shut the lights out. I guess I am glad we are just getting it over with. But today was awful and tomorrow from the time school it out until the night is over will be bad also, kids wound up wise anyway.
Oh we have certain times but the day isn't changed. Well I think we still have certain times. I get hardly any kids so I just hand stuff out if a few show up until I turn my lights out. Lights out signals we are finished.

There is one year it was actually cancelled and not rescheduled. It was after a hurricane and we didn't have electric and everything wasn't cleaned up yet like branches down, etc. so it wasn't safe. I guess they didn't reschedule because certain areas might have been okay the next week but others weren't depending on how much damage that area had.

We all had candy overload. That was not a good week to be on a diet!
Pepperth 10:36 AM 10-29-2015
I might be more excited than the kids. Of course, that might be because I am opening late tomorrow and going to my son's parade at school.
SilverSabre25 08:02 PM 10-29-2015
Trick or Treat has been this way in central OH for at LEAST 30 years. i know because I've lived here that long. It's weird and it confuses people, but I'm totally used to it.
Play Care 03:09 AM 10-30-2015
I'm way too traditional for that! ToT is on Halloween and that's that

Although the time does vary, it's typically 5-8 for ToT. Most people in our town participate in ToT, it's a big night here.
Tags:holidays, holidays - over it
Reply Up