Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Terming this Family
NightOwl 12:16 PM 06-23-2014
How would you handle this? Family has a balance which should be caught up this week. I have denied care for the past week because of this overdue balance. This is an ongoing issue with this family and I'm over it. I'm ready to term. So should I notify them now and risk not being paid at all or should I wait to be paid and then term? They are expecting to return to care next week once the account is paid. The second option seems a little devious.
MarinaVanessa 12:22 PM 06-23-2014
I would wait until I was paid on Friday and then I would send the notice that effective immediately their care was terminated due to failure to pay. If it's a reoccurring issue then I'd move on and let this family go too.

If you tell them first they may be inclined to not pay you at all since you're terming them and since they haven't been to DC this week.
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 06-23-2014
Originally Posted by Wednesday:
How would you handle this? Family has a balance which should be caught up this week. I have denied care for the past week because of this overdue balance. This is an ongoing issue with this family and I'm over it. I'm ready to term. So should I notify them now and risk not being paid at all or should I wait to be paid and then term? They are expecting to return to care next week once the account is paid. The second option seems a little devious.
Are you terming BECAUSE of the payment issues or are there other reasons?
wdmmom 12:26 PM 06-23-2014
Are you not charging in advance for care? If you know for a fact that you want to term, I would send the final demand letter for payment along with the termination papers. Give them 10 business days to pay the balance or pursue it through small claims court. And tell them that if you go that route, it's likely going to cost them double if not more.
NightOwl 12:30 PM 06-23-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Are you terming BECAUSE of the payment issues or are there other reasons?
No its just payment issues. It's been a constant thing tho
NightOwl 12:31 PM 06-23-2014
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Are you not charging in advance for care? If you know for a fact that you want to term, I would send the final demand letter for payment along with the termination papers. Give them 10 business days to pay the balance or pursue it through small claims court. And tell them that if you go that route, it's likely going to cost them double if not more.
Yes, I do, but they had two returned checks. So it's the amount for those plus my returned item fees.
craftymissbeth 12:33 PM 06-23-2014
I don't think it's devious at all. It's devious that they wrote you two bad checks and then haven't paid you yet.

Get the money in CASH and then as soon as that cash is in your hands hand over a term letter.
MarinaVanessa 12:56 PM 06-23-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:
I don't think it's devious at all. It's devious that they wrote you two bad checks and then haven't paid you yet.

Get the money in CASH and then as soon as that cash is in your hands hand over a term letter.

Little Buttons 01:08 PM 06-23-2014
I would absolutely wait for payment and then term. Apparwntly, they do not take bad chacks and late payments seriously. I think if you term them.prior to payment they will cut their losses and not pay you.
Blackcat31 01:26 PM 06-23-2014
No its just payment issues. It's been a constant thing tho
If you like the kids and have no other issues, have you thought about putting them on "probation" first to address/cure the payment issues before just tossing out an otherwise good family?

Have the parents pay in ADVANCE with the possibility of immediate term the second a payment is late?

I guess I would rather see a provider try and address the issue before just being done...kwim?

If you've already gone that route though and nothing has changed, then I suppose it is time to term. You can only work with someone if they are working WITH you too.
MarinaVanessa 01:32 PM 06-23-2014
From what I understood she already worked with this fam and has spoken to them numerously. Seems to me like she has tried working with them and they aren't willing to get it together
NightOwl 03:20 PM 06-23-2014
I have tried and it's become so old. I feel like a broken record with them. They've had issues with being late several times before, sometimes up to a week, but this is the first time they've been seriously behind. Dcg goes to kinder in August and I'm thinking they will leave me with an unpaid balance that I'll never get. So I'm thinking I better get my money and run!
tehck_1013 08:06 PM 06-23-2014
Originally Posted by craftymissbeth:

I agree. If you term them right now they will not pay you.
SunshineMama 03:48 AM 06-24-2014
I'm in the exact same situation with a family. They are always late but always catch up the day before I term. This has been going on for a year and I'm over it. If they are late this week I'm terming too. I completely get being just sick and tired of having to ask for the money owed every single week a day having to enforce policies. Be done with it, you will feel free!
rosieteddy 04:14 AM 06-24-2014
What about charging these families a month ahead of time in cash. That way you will be paid for August the first week before they can leave for school.I am paid monthly on the last Monday of the previous Month.June 30thfor Month of July.
Blackcat31 05:57 AM 06-24-2014
I have tried and it's become so old. I feel like a broken record with them. They've had issues with being late several times before, sometimes up to a week, but this is the first time they've been seriously behind. Dcg goes to kinder in August and I'm thinking they will leave me with an unpaid balance that I'll never get. So I'm thinking I better get my money and run!
Maybe it's time to re-do your payment policies so you don't find yourself so exasperated with one family and their poor payment habits.

I used to have one set late fee and just applied it each time a family was late. Then I noticed, it wasn't the fact they were late with payment that got to me but the fact that it was habitual and they never ever appeared remorseful or sorry about it.

They apologized but it was just the obligatory words without real meaning and I "felt" that.

When I moved to the tiered rate scale, I applied the same logic to my late fees.

My late fees now work like this:

First late payment = $10 PER calendar day until paid in full
Second late payment = $20 PER calendar day until paid in full
Third late payment = immediate termination.

That way, I don't allow the resentment to build and the families seem to grasp better the fact that their late payment is inching them close to actually losing their care arrangements.

Of course NO SERVICES are available if there is an outstanding balance due.

Just wanted to offer you a suggestion to avoid future stress in regards to habitual late payers that don't seem to care that it impacts your budget when they are careless and/or forgetful.
NightOwl 06:47 AM 06-24-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
Maybe it's time to re-do your payment policies so you don't find yourself so exasperated with one family and their poor payment habits.

I used to have one set late fee and just applied it each time a family was late. Then I noticed, it wasn't the fact they were late with payment that got to me but the fact that it was habitual and they never ever appeared remorseful or sorry about it.

They apologized but it was just the obligatory words without real meaning and I "felt" that.

When I moved to the tiered rate scale, I applied the same logic to my late fees.

My late fees now work like this:

First late payment = $10 PER calendar day until paid in full
Second late payment = $20 PER calendar day until paid in full
Third late payment = immediate termination.

That way, I don't allow the resentment to build and the families seem to grasp better the fact that their late payment is inching them close to actually losing their care arrangements.

Of course NO SERVICES are available if there is an outstanding balance due.

Just wanted to offer you a suggestion to avoid future stress in regards to habitual late payers that don't seem to care that it impacts your budget when they are careless and/or forgetful.
Excellent advice BC!
Reply Up