Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>My New Licensor Is An IDIOT
daycarediva 03:37 AM 10-03-2017
Going from a FDC to a GFDC (larger license) in NY.

I have submitted the same packet so many times (same for renewals, moving, etc) I know it by heart.

I filled out the packet in it's entirety-literally just copied my currently approved paperwork that I am required to maintain on site word for word. I got the required checks mailed in as well at the same time.

Got a letter and ONE check back last week saying it had to be submitted WITH the paperwork. UM, you have the paperwork. It was mailed at the same time.

Got 75% of it back today. Included was the checklist. The checklist said "not received" for about 10 of the pages that HE SENT BACK TO ME, STAMPED and signed by him.

I called him three times last week, and once yesterday. Left voicemails to return my calls. Nothing.
DaveA 05:09 AM 10-03-2017
"You need to do this NOW so it can set on my desk for 3 weeks." Sucks that you have to put up with this crap.

The rep they finally assigned me has been pretty good. The temp one before that I would have turned in my license before working with her for.
Cat Herder 05:31 AM 10-03-2017
I am sorry that happened to you. It was status quo here until submissions went digital. It kept staff "current" on tasks when they were under staffed to kick stuff back a few times.

Very similar to how SSI works, I hear.
Blackcat31 07:14 AM 10-03-2017
Government processing at it's finest.

I'm sorry. Thankfully it's you that will be supervising and keeping track of the children and not this licensor.
daycarediva 08:58 AM 10-03-2017
I called and left him another voicemail. I have been photocopying everything I send in, so he got copies of copies of things he claimed not to have, and I sent him back the ones he returned to me with his signature highlighted.

No, I don't need to be fingerprinted again.
No, I don't need a new physical (I JUST had one in March).
MarinaVanessa 09:37 AM 10-03-2017
Do you have his email? You can email him and CC his supervisor with a timeline of all the absurdity and attach copies of the signed paperwork that he claims you never sent. If anything, just so that they're aware. I know it's not much and that they probably won't do much but at least you'll have a paper trail showing this habit in case it becomes such a big issue that it stops you from getting your license!

Ugh, so terrible for you!!
daycarediva 09:47 AM 10-03-2017
When I called today after leaving him a voicemail, I called the main office line, and I guess he is working from home?? The secretary said he doesn't like to give out his email.

Um, how am I supposed to reach him? She said he checks his voicemail from home.

I'm of course, on a deadline (which is up next month since they started the time the day I REQUESTED the packet, not the day I turned in the first of the paperwork) and I am pre-enrolling with tentative start dates for next month, too!!!
Leigh 10:04 AM 10-03-2017
I think you need to call your state office and talk to the person in charge of childcare licensing. Ask if you can send the info to THEM and then do so and have them forward to the licensor. I'd be in a fury if I were in your shoes!
Kajada 10:09 AM 10-03-2017
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
When I called today after leaving him a voicemail, I called the main office line, and I guess he is working from home?? The secretary said he doesn't like to give out his email.

I'm of course, on a deadline (which is up next month since they started the time the day I REQUESTED the packet, not the day I turned in the first of the paperwork) and I am pre-enrolling with tentative start dates for next month, too!!!
I am baffled by the e-mail thing. That makes no sense to me. Licensing paperwork isn't entirely paperless here, especially for things like criminal record checks and the like, but to not be able to communicate by e-mail? Completely ridiculous. It's 2017.
CityGarden 10:17 AM 10-03-2017
I would leave a voicemail briefly stating you have some concerns with the licensing / approval process and you would like to schedule a time for a call, ask him to email you or call and leave you a time that works for him to have a call within the next 1-2 business days IF that cannot be accommodated request a new licensar from the general line.
daycarediva 11:15 AM 10-03-2017
Thanks guys.

I am giving him until tomorrow.

I am a total stalker and checked out his social media and it appears he has a sick kiddo at home.
Max 11:22 AM 10-03-2017
This would drive me nuts!!!

The older I get, the more I realize I have too high of expectations for people doing their job I'm easily pleased these days. Especially when someone in customer service uses simple manners and LISTENS - regardless of if I get 'my way' or not.
ColorfulSunburst 11:35 AM 10-03-2017
it is why I do not mail anything to them. I bring it there by myself and get a signet paper that has information about every single document they have got from me.
Meeko 11:58 AM 10-03-2017
I must stop complaining and count my blessings being in Utah. While not perfect, they have changed a LOT over the past years. We can now digitally send all paperwork and actually SEE it in our file. So they can't say they don't have it.

All the licensers are reasonable for my area. I actually have the head honcho for my licenser at the moment (they rotate every two years) and she is SO cool. She's been at this for eons and is so laid back and awesome. She completely understands that some of the regs are pure nonsense and says so. I love her!

But Utah used to be AWFUL. "Us versus Them" attitude, regs that could be interpreted several ways etc etc.

But we complained and demanded change and we got it.

So hang in there, document everything and complain when you know you are right. They will change for the better eventually!
MarinaVanessa 12:24 PM 10-03-2017
I called the main office line, and I guess he is working from home?? The secretary said he doesn't like to give out his email.
They don't have government issued email addresses for business use??? You guys are working with a department living in the dark ages
daycarediva 03:40 AM 10-04-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I must stop complaining and count my blessings being in Utah. While not perfect, they have changed a LOT over the past years. We can now digitally send all paperwork and actually SEE it in our file. So they can't say they don't have it.

All the licensers are reasonable for my area. I actually have the head honcho for my licenser at the moment (they rotate every two years) and she is SO cool. She's been at this for eons and is so laid back and awesome. She completely understands that some of the regs are pure nonsense and says so. I love her!

But Utah used to be AWFUL. "Us versus Them" attitude, regs that could be interpreted several ways etc etc.

But we complained and demanded change and we got it.

So hang in there, document everything and complain when you know you are right. They will change for the better eventually!
I WISH!!! We JUST got the ability to email in our food program information. Most providers in my area still have to paper and pen it, and MAIL it in. I can't even scan in and email documents.

I have spent over $10 in postage fees ALREADY, because everything has to be in a manilla envelope, too.

Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
They don't have government issued email addresses for business use??? You guys are working with a department living in the dark ages
They do--- but he prefers phone and face to face. Well, the office is over an hour away from me and he works bankers hours and apparently 'from home' is ok. There is no one else I can speak to, and I DOUBT he's getting the forms I am mailing him because he isn't in the office, so it wouldn't do me any good to talk to someone else anyway.

SO FRUSTRATED!

I really love my current registrar and wish I could just take her with me when I change modalities.
DaveA 05:12 AM 10-04-2017

That would be the point for me I'd me telling the secretary to either give me the email, get him on the phone and conference the calls so I could talk to him, or speak to a supervisor. I understand if he has an emergency/ illness and is unavailable, but not giving out his WORK email or returning calls to me would be the point that I would want someone else helping to meet the deadline THEY impose.
midaycare 05:15 AM 10-04-2017
Thanks guys.

I am giving him until tomorrow.

I am a total stalker and checked out his social media and it appears he has a sick kiddo at home.
As a stalker myself, I'm impressed with your even thinking to social stalk this person. Most impressive. I mean, i've stalked potential clients, but never state reps.
Meeko 06:48 AM 10-05-2017
Originally Posted by midaycare:
As a stalker myself, I'm impressed with your even thinking to social stalk this person. Most impressive. I mean, i've stalked potential clients, but never state reps.
I stalk everyone LOL! It has many times helped me understand a situation. Once had a licensor that was very "sharp". I found out she was dealing with some VERY hard problems at home and made me understand why she wasn't Miss Cheerful all the time. She was always professional and never rude, just "distant".
daycarediva 09:23 AM 10-05-2017
Originally Posted by DaveA:
That would be the point for me I'd me telling the secretary to either give me the email, get him on the phone and conference the calls so I could talk to him, or speak to a supervisor. I understand if he has an emergency/ illness and is unavailable, but not giving out his WORK email or returning calls to me would be the point that I would want someone else helping to meet the deadline THEY impose.
I spoke to the secretary this morning. He was in the office yesterday and today. No phone call. No nothing. I requested a new person. Secretary has the manager call me back. She's trying to say a new rep would require all new paperwork. I said to look into it, because I HIGHLY doubt that!!

Originally Posted by midaycare:
I always stalk my state reps! Honestly, can't believe I didn't do it the minute I got his name. ALL of the state people I work with have been invited to my daycare social media pages, too.
midaycare 10:14 AM 10-05-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:
I stalk everyone LOL! It has many times helped me understand a situation. Once had a licensor that was very "sharp". I found out she was dealing with some VERY hard problems at home and made me understand why she wasn't Miss Cheerful all the time. She was always professional and never rude, just "distant".
That's an important lesson to learn - I always tell DS when he complains about people's attitudes that you just never know what is going on in their lives to make them act that way!
Tags:licensor
Reply Up