Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Diaper Changes For 9 Month Old
littlemisssunshine 01:36 PM 11-09-2017
So I have a new 9 mo baby in care who started this week and the baby is only with me for 3 hours of the day. Baby got a rash from pee on Monday and I had changed him 3 times in 3 hours, mom text me again that baby had another rash yesterday because he was wet from pee and asked me to change him every hour (which I have been). I usually change my other kids in care every 2 hours unless pooped and they never get rashes. The mom is making me feel like I don't provide good care even though I change him when wet/poop. I check him frequently because he is so sensitive to pee and I'm obsessing over him not getting a rash. What else can I do? Any advice would really help!
hwichlaz 01:48 PM 11-09-2017
Sounds like he needs a barrier between his skin and the wet, like aquaphor or desitin.
littlemisssunshine 02:28 PM 11-09-2017
Thank you! I will try that
laundrymom 02:28 PM 11-09-2017
Does she use same diapers?
daycarediva 04:12 PM 11-09-2017
Not normal.

Change diapers. No wipes (wet paper towel). Barrier cream, even Vaseline will help.
littlemisssunshine 05:16 PM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
Does she use same diapers?
She provides me with the diapers (luvs) and even counts them to make sure I'm changing him like I say I am.
Leigh 07:22 PM 11-09-2017
Originally Posted by littlemisssunshine:
She provides me with the diapers (luvs) and even counts them to make sure I'm changing him like I say I am.
I have never seen a reaction to a diaper before. I believe that most "diaper allergies" are actually a food intolerance or yeast infection. HOWEVER, I have a little girl here who has had a red bottom for the last 2 days. I talked today about it with her mom (because she gets changed at home and here plenty-she's a pee machine!), and she asked if it could be the Huggies? I said no, but I DID get a great deal on some Luvs, and started using them 3 days ago at the last diaper change of the day (the day before we noticed the redness). I have used Luvs in the past, though I usually buy Huggies , Pampers, or Up & Up for the daycare. I wonder if a manufacturing ingredient change might be at fault? I'm going to try a different brand tomorrow and hope that makes a difference!
LysesKids 05:36 AM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by Leigh:
I have never seen a reaction to a diaper before. I believe that most "diaper allergies" are actually a food intolerance or yeast infection. HOWEVER, I have a little girl here who has had a red bottom for the last 2 days. I talked today about it with her mom (because she gets changed at home and here plenty-she's a pee machine!), and she asked if it could be the Huggies? I said no, but I DID get a great deal on some Luvs, and started using them 3 days ago at the last diaper change of the day (the day before we noticed the redness). I have used Luvs in the past, though I usually buy Huggies , Pampers, or Up & Up for the daycare. I wonder if a manufacturing ingredient change might be at fault? I'm going to try a different brand tomorrow and hope that makes a difference!
My own kids were allergic to most disposables & that was over 20 years ago lol... the chemicals in many paper diapers can cause issues (Have ya seen the gel they use now?); I mean if a newborn is having issues it's not their diet because they aren't eating food, so unless it's something mom has eaten... just saying (most my babes are breast fed).
Meeko 06:01 AM 11-10-2017
She's counting the diapers???!

I'd kick her to the curb. She is calling you a liar. If she doesn't trust you, she needs to find other care.

The rash could be caused by a number of things and yet she is jumping straight to it being your fault.

What other conclusions will she jump to?

The second she wanted to count the diapers would be the second she got her stuff packed, if it were me. She might as well say "I don't trust you and I think you're lying"
I think it's dreadfully disrespectful. As a parent she should talk with you and the two of you try different things until you find the cause. Instead, she is blaming you. I say get rid of her. She's a liability.
Blackcat31 06:01 AM 11-10-2017
I would have mom change baby herself right before she leaves at drop off. I'd want her to show you the baby's condition before she leaves. I'd change frequently, use a barrier of some kind and monitor closely. I'd still feel a bit untrusted by mom but I'd also want her to show you baby before she leaves.
Cat Herder 06:37 AM 11-10-2017
I could not find the Luvs diapers MSDS but did find it for the wipes. Pampers and Luvs are both Proctor and Gamble. http://www.pg.com/productsafety/msds..._Wipes_SDS.pdf
Gemma 07:42 AM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by Meeko:

I'd kick her to the curb. She is calling you a liar. If she doesn't trust you, she needs to find other care.

The rash could be caused by a number of things and yet she is jumping straight to it being your fault.

The second she wanted to count the diapers would be the second she got her stuff packed, if it were me. She might as well say "I don't trust you and I think you're lying"
I think it's dreadfully disrespectful. As a parent she should talk with you and the two of you try different things until you find the cause. Instead, she is blaming you. I say get rid of her. She's a liability.

hwichlaz 07:45 AM 11-10-2017
Luvs are weird. I ask parents not to use them because when I child pees in them there is a strong chemical smell that actually makes my nose and sinuses feel like they are burning.
LysesKids 08:23 AM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I would have mom change baby herself right before she leaves at drop off. I'd want her to show you the baby's condition before she leaves. I'd change frequently, use a barrier of some kind and monitor closely. I'd still feel a bit untrusted by mom but I'd also want her to show you baby before she leaves.
I have a mom that actually does do a diaper change every morning @ drop-off. Of course she grabs & goes so she knows I don't tolerate overnight diapers too lol
daycarediva 09:26 AM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
My own kids were allergic to most disposables & that was over 20 years ago lol... the chemicals in many paper diapers can cause issues (Have ya seen the gel they use now?); I mean if a newborn is having issues it's not their diet because they aren't eating food, so unless it's something mom has eaten... just saying (most my babes are breast fed).
Yes, there is a laundry list of chemicals in disposables. My own kids have severe reactions to Luvs. Grandbaby did, too. Huggies is redness, and were fine with pampers. I went to cloth. Don't even get me started on baby wipes. Used reusable with my own kids and I WISH I could launder cloth myself for daycare because if licensing allowed it, they would all be using cloth.

Originally Posted by Meeko:

THIS. If a parent was counting diapers and not trusting me, they would be gone. I would give her a chance, have a chat about it, but if they were still like this after a discussion, they would be gone.

I would also bring up the possibility of an allergy, change diapers, and get them to sign a form for a barrier cream. Diaper changes do NOT need to be that frequent to prevent rash.
Leigh 10:15 AM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by hwichlaz:
Luvs are weird. I ask parents not to use them because when I child pees in them there is a strong chemical smell that actually makes my nose and sinuses feel like they are burning.
I used to ban Luvs, as well, because I found them "weird", too, in that when I changed a poopy diaper, I would have a hard time cleaning it up because pieces of the diaper would mix in with the stool (this was several years ago). Luvs are part of the reason that I started providing diapers, myself! Recently, though, I had a kid that started coming in Luvs, and found that the stuff I hated had improved, and when I got them for 10 cents a diaper, I loaded up. Probably a big mistake.
Leigh 10:22 AM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I don't doubt that kids can be allergic to diapers, but I have heard so many parents say that their kids are allergic to their diaper and then find that an antifungal cream "cures" their allergy.
Cat Herder 10:35 AM 11-10-2017
I don't doubt that kids can be allergic to diapers, but I have heard so many parents say that their kids are allergic to their diaper and then find that an antifungal cream "cures" their allergy.
True.

Or they *only gave them one jar pear pineapple, one jar apricot mixed fruit and one jar carrot mango with their mixed cereal and juice this morning. "Nothing bad, though"
Leigh 12:05 PM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
True.

Or they *only gave them one jar pear pineapple, one jar apricot mixed fruit and one jar carrot mango with their mixed cereal and juice this morning. "Nothing bad, though"
I had one of those kids-he lived on Mandarin Oranges. His butt would literally blister within minutes of pooping. Mom tried "everything" (except cutting back on citrus).
littlemisssunshine 12:52 PM 11-10-2017
It might be the Luvs, I use Kirkland and pampers for my other DCK's and they're fine
littlemisssunshine 01:00 PM 11-10-2017
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
This is a great idea, This upcoming week I will start doing this. I just hate feeling so stressed over this issue!
Tags:9 month old, diaper changes
Reply Up