Daycare.com Forum Kidacare by Minute Menu Force of Nature Disinfectant

Go Back   Daycare.com Forum > Main Category > Daycare Center and Family Home Forum

Daycare Center and Family Home Forum Daycare Center and Family Home owners, Directors, Operators and Assistants should post and ask questions here.

Old 08-20-2012, 08:04 AM
Daycare.com Member

Default The Morning News

I usually watch the last 20 minutes of local news and the first 30-45 minutes of the Today Show every morning. The last 20 minutes of local news is before drop off of my DCB (8months) and we are about 10 minutes into the Today Show by time he is dropped off. I love seeing the stories they have on and its always been my routine. It usually muted or very low. The tv is mounted high on the wall and the only time DCB pays attention to it is when he walks in and mom is holding him.

Well, mom comes in and sees him staring at it and she turns and turns and spins and shields him saying "no no no don't look don't look. You can't look at the tv!!! You're not allowed to see it!!"

I could just turn it off when she gets here and then turn it back on but that feels sneaky. He seriously doesnt notice it unless he is in that one position in my entry way. I told her that and that I only watch it until 8 at the latest.

Should I just keep it off period or would you just ignore her?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:12 AM
Nature Lover

I would totally ignore her! Hopefully in Oct. you will be moving so you really don't have that long with this child. Are they a no tv family? Also, what does she do when she goes to other peoples home?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:19 AM
Advanced Daycare.com Member

As much as it sucks for you, I would keep it off when he is there. In my experience, the majority of parents do not want their child exposed to television at daycare (at home it is a different story ) It could end up costing you clients....especially when it concerns infants.

Is there any way you can record it and give yourself a tv break during nap time?
Old 08-20-2012, 08:43 AM
Daycare.com Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crystal View Post
As much as it sucks for you, I would keep it off when he is there. In my experience, the majority of parents do not want their child exposed to television at daycare (at home it is a different story ) It could end up costing you clients....especially when it concerns infants.

Is there any way you can record it and give yourself a tv break during nap time?
No DVR

She came this morning and said he got to watch yesterday when she watched The Hunger Games so she broke her rule.
Old 08-20-2012, 08:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breezy View Post
No DVR

She came this morning and said he got to watch yesterday when she watched The Hunger Games so she broke her rule.
LOL! The Hunger Games even, huh? LOL!
Old 08-20-2012, 09:00 AM
Daycare.com Member

Lol! I watched it Saturday. I think the Today Show is a little more tame.
Old 08-20-2012, 02:30 PM
Daycare.com Member

I watch like 30 minutes of the TODAY show most mornings, when parents start coming in i switch the channel or switch it off.
Old 08-20-2012, 03:52 PM

I have the TV off when parents pickup or drop off. If it is on, it is a kids show only. I dont have a TV in the playroom....just upstairs in our living area.
Old 08-20-2012, 06:07 PM
Daycare.com Member

hunger games.......yikes. She sounds like a nut case, or a nut case moment.

I don't know. I don't do much TV. I only have vcr right now. I am not big on the Tv. I find kids become glued to it and then can't function with out it or nicely after viewing.

ok but after daycare and when I want to unwind......I love Bravo Tv. Yes my guilty pleasure!

My daycare kiddo's are little so I do a lot of sing along songs, educational type tapes, pooh, sesame street, blue clues, etc..... but these are rare. I encourage play mostly-

I am not downing anyone that does use TV. I do think that is not my place to be watching soaps, and what not during daycare hours. Not professional. It should be about the kids during daycare hours. DVR is the best little invention.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:20 PM
Trix are for kids

Only children's shows play on the tv during daycare hours. I don't want them to go home and say they saw something inappropriate on the tv (which you never know with the news these days). When we do turn on the tv (which is only for 20 minutes while I prep lunch), it's usually theme related or educational. In other words, they tend to watch a lot of appropriate National Geographic shows, Leap Frog, Word World, and Sight Words shows.
Old 08-20-2012, 09:38 PM
Daycare.com Member

I would turn it off. I sometimes watch morning news while I'm waiting for first arrivals, but when parent shows up I turn it off because I feel like, Ok, I'm at work now. If you worked outside your home you wouldn't be able to watch it when you were clocked in.

But, to be honest, that doesn't mean I wouldn't turn it back on for a bit after the parent left, if I knew it really wasn't distracting the kid. Sometimes I turn it on while giving a bottle because I need a little bit of a breather!
Old 08-21-2012, 04:06 AM

As long as the volume was low, I would just tell her that it keeps you connected to the outside world. That you shut it off @ 8 and it goes back to being a black box. I'm a no tv childcare too.
Old 08-21-2012, 05:41 AM

She give you guff about 10 minutes of a news show and then lets him watch HUNGER GAMES with her? Talk about a double standard!