Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Floor Covering for Carpet
kcnjason 08:23 PM 10-30-2011
I have recently purchased a preschool table and it will go in the basement of our home where the majority of the daycare activities take place. However, I have carpet throughout the entire basement and of course we will be doing messy projects such as painting, etc....I am in need of ideas of what I could put under my table to cover the carpet and help to keep it safe from the mess, or what we can anyways. Any ideas would be great help!
sharlan 08:32 PM 10-30-2011
What about the foam mats?
sahm1225 04:56 AM 10-31-2011
a blanket, a large table cloth, the foam mats that lock in place together (like the OP said), you can buy those waterproof mattress covers and just put it on the floor (not the fitted ones, but the ones that are just a large square and are washable).

Im thinking the foam mats will work best becuase they will be more steady. THe other things you can use will shift and can be a tripping hazard and not to mention it would drive me crazy if it shifts and then you still get a stain!
Meyou 04:57 AM 10-31-2011
A heavy shower curtain works well.
morgan24 06:07 AM 10-31-2011
I have the foam mats down in my basement on one half the other half has carpet. I love the mats. I mop them and I also use a shark steam mop on them a couple of times a week. They also keep the floor warmer.
Meeko 12:12 PM 10-31-2011
In the sewing section at Walmart, they have heavy duty clear plastic on rolls that they sell by the foot.. I use it on my changing table. Love the stuff. It would be great under a table too.

For under my smaller tables for my kids, I use the clear floor mats that are used in offices for under desks, so chairs roll easier.
Lucy 02:05 PM 10-31-2011
What about that thin plastic stuff they use for a model home or a new RV when people will be touring it and they don't want it to get all dirty before someone buys it? Do you know what I mean? Not sure where you'd buy it, but it seems to be durable enough to have a lot of people walk on it when a home is being shown.
sharlan 02:18 PM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:
In the sewing section at Walmart, they have heavy duty clear plastic on rolls that they sell by the foot.. I use it on my changing table. Love the stuff. It would be great under a table too.

For under my smaller tables for my kids, I use the clear floor mats that are used in offices for under desks, so chairs roll easier.
I use that on my oak table in the kitchen and my other table in the dining room. Really saves the wood.
sharlan 02:18 PM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by Joyce:
What about that thin plastic stuff they use for a model home or a new RV when people will be touring it and they don't want it to get all dirty before someone buys it? Do you know what I mean? Not sure where you'd buy it, but it seems to be durable enough to have a lot of people walk on it when a home is being shown.
It comes on rolls and you can buy it at Lowe's and Home Depot. It's tacky so I would worry about leaving it on for very long.
Childminder 03:18 PM 10-31-2011
If you want a more permanent type of 'rug' why don't you buy an indoor/outdoor area rug and lay it over the other carpet or make a painted canvas rug. Buy a large sheet of canvas from a tent repair or boating supply and get out your leftover house paint. Fold over the edges and carpet tape them or duct tape them. You could even have the kids paint it. Make certain that you seal it with clear poly-crylic and the spills will just wipe up.
misspollywog 03:29 PM 10-31-2011
Originally Posted by Meeko60:

This is what I was going to suggest. It is heavy duty and easy to clean up.
Tags:carpet
Reply Up