Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>The Binky, Pacifier, Nuk...You Know
Heidi 12:59 PM 06-04-2013

All my own kids have them, and I've always been a fan. Most of my dck's have them only for nap once they turn a year, and they go bye bye when they move to a mat.

One little man, however, WILL NOT put his own pacifier in his mouth (6 months old on Thursday). Awake, he plays with it. In his bed, he screams for it.

Put it in...walk out of room...spit it out...come back in and replace...walk out of room...spit it out...scream...etc.

Mom is having similar problems at home, and she's all about the "tough love". She had to get ready for work today (noonish), and she let him cry for 1/2 hour while she showered & got ready (no choice, really).

Basically, he hates to be left alone in the room, here or at home. The pacifier seems to help soothe him, but not when he spits it out.

WWYD? Ditch the binky altogether? I think mom and dad would do whatever I suggest.
SilverSabre25 01:00 PM 06-04-2013
I suspect teething, if this is new behavior. He wants comfort, but the sucking hurts, but he wants comfort, but the sucking hurts...

a dose of teething tablets might happy him up.
Blackcat31 01:00 PM 06-04-2013
yep. ditch the binky. He'll be forced to find other means to self-soothe.
Heidi 01:10 PM 06-04-2013
no...not teething, Silver, but that was a good guess.

He'd be crabbing more otherwise if he was teething. I think he just hates being left alone. Mom and I both talked to him about that yesterday...he'll be sleeping alone for quite a few years yet, so he better get used to it!
MarinaVanessa 01:15 PM 06-04-2013
Yep, I'd offer it once and if he spits it out and wails. Oh well. I'd come in 5 minutes after he started to cry to help sooth him but I wouldn't pick him up. Once he calmed down I'd walk out again. No binky in his mouth and no "rescuing" him. If he cries again I'd at an extra minute to the wait time (6 minutes, then 7 minutes, then 8 minutes etc). Rinse and repeat (but never longer than 15 minutes of cry time for me, still no binky and no picking him up if he is crying).
Cradle2crayons 01:17 PM 06-04-2013
I agree with pp. give him the binky, he tosses it. It's bye bye binky until the next nap time. He'll figure out how to hang onto it if he wants it bad enough.
Heidi 01:19 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by MarinaVanessa:
Yep, I'd offer it once and if he spits it out and wails. Oh well. I'd come in 5 minutes after he started to cry to help sooth him but I wouldn't pick him up. Once he calmed down I'd walk out again. No binky in his mouth and no "rescuing" him. If he cries again I'd at an extra minute to the wait time (6 minutes, then 7 minutes, then 8 minutes etc). Rinse and repeat (but never longer than 15 minutes of cry time for me, still no binky and no picking him up if he is crying).
That's what I usually do, as far as timing.

One disadvantage is that his schedule is variable, so he isn't here consistently at our nap times. Mom told me on her own today that she is going to talk to her work about that, because she wants him on a consistent schedule.

I LOVE this mom!
youretooloud 02:51 PM 06-04-2013
I googled that, and came up with all sorts of dumb pranks (mostly by dads) that used duct tape and double sided tape. Some were really funny. But, still, it's all that came up in google. LOL

So..... I got nuthin for you. Just wanted to suggest double sided tape or ear hangers made of pipe cleaners.
nannyde 03:18 PM 06-04-2013
I don't do binkies. Way too much work.
Heidi 03:22 PM 06-04-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:
I googled that, and came up with all sorts of dumb pranks (mostly by dads) that used duct tape and double sided tape. Some were really funny. But, still, it's all that came up in google. LOL

So..... I got nuthin for you. Just wanted to suggest double sided tape or ear hangers made of pipe cleaners.

Oneluckymom 12:29 PM 06-05-2013
Originally Posted by youretooloud:

My aunt actually did this to one of her sons !! Duct taped to pacifier to his face
Of course she laughs at it now her son is mid 30s but I couldn't get my mouth off the floor when she told me about it. Makes sense because she's not a fan of kids really
Scout 02:39 PM 06-05-2013
I too would get rid of it now. It'll be easier than when they are approaching 3 like my dcg! She got a big girl bed over the weekend so mom told her no more nuk. Well, monday(after no nap here) I guess she tore apart her room looking for it and passed out she was so tired! today was the first day she didn't ask and fell asleep here too! Maybe he will start to suck his fingers. He will figure something out!
daycarediva 03:07 PM 06-05-2013
Originally Posted by Oneluckymom:
My aunt actually did this to one of her sons !! Duct taped to pacifier to his face
Of course she laughs at it now her son is mid 30s but I couldn't get my mouth off the floor when she told me about it. Makes sense because she's not a fan of kids really
http://www.nbcnews.com/id/19336629/n...er-taped-face/

lucky he's still alive, and that isn't the only case. It happened here last year, in a super small hamlet near me, which a 5 month old. The mom was an RN.
Reply Up