Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Help!! Please
Provider_Manda 10:11 AM 05-27-2016
Alright ladies I need some advice.. I signed up a schoolager (7) and he started today. Well he is very umm fragile I'll say.. Lol
Cried twice within the hour over getting hurt. Not saying it didn't hurt but it was very dramatic. Now he's a picky eater, and wasted majority of lunch and then started crying cause he missed his Mommy (his words). I'm not sure if I can handle this all summer!! My little guys don't act like that and he is going on 8!! Only child, extremely babied.. How do I handle it, or how do I toughen him up? 😂
I do not do well with the extremely baby talk and attitude. I need help and prayer.. Lol
sharlan 10:25 AM 05-27-2016
Good question...

By this age, he's in school all day and should be used to be away from mommy during the day.

I would give him a quick hug and move on. Reassure, but not baby.

I would give him next week and if things didn't improve, I'd let him go.
MunchkinWrangler 10:28 AM 05-27-2016
Give him more time. He's in a new place and that is stressful probably making him act out as fragile.
Mandy 10:58 AM 05-27-2016
As the others said, I would also give him more time . I do wonder if maybe he is acting like this because he is trying to secretly manipulate you into sending him home. If you have another kid in your care already that is also his age, maybe you can introduce him to the kid, and then walk off because at this age, I would think they can play on their own inside the building .

If he is the oldest kid in your care, maybe have him learn how to be a helper with you. For example, he can choose a book (One of the three or so books you pick as his options) from the options, and read that book to the younger kids. Maybe he can help you gather supplies for lunch (For example, he can get the plates and cups) . These are just ideas, and this is only my opinion, but maybe the reason why he is acting like this is because since he's in "daycare" he has to act like this. I admit there are some kids that are naturally sensitive and the best thing you can do is acknowledge the problem, and then come up with a solution together.

I do think maybe if he feels he has privileges like mentoring the younger kids, he might be less sensitive. You'll be surprised at how quick kids change for the better if they are given a teeny bit of responsibility .
lovemydaycare0912 11:22 AM 05-27-2016
Originally Posted by Mandy:
As the others said, I would also give him more time . I do wonder if maybe he is acting like this because he is trying to secretly manipulate you into sending him home. If you have another kid in your care already that is also his age, maybe you can introduce him to the kid, and then walk off because at this age, I would think they can play on their own inside the building .

If he is the oldest kid in your care, maybe have him learn how to be a helper with you. For example, he can choose a book (One of the three or so books you pick as his options) from the options, and read that book to the younger kids. Maybe he can help you gather supplies for lunch (For example, he can get the plates and cups) . These are just ideas, and this is only my opinion, but maybe the reason why he is acting like this is because since he's in "daycare" he has to act like this. I admit there are some kids that are naturally sensitive and the best thing you can do is acknowledge the problem, and then come up with a solution together.

I do think maybe if he feels he has privileges like mentoring the younger kids, he might be less sensitive. You'll be surprised at how quick kids change for the better if they are given a teeny bit of responsibility .
I like this answer! My stepson is 7 and I know he loves picking out books to read to the kids when he's here.
Tags:babied, schoolager
Reply Up