Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Healthy Meals and Snacks That Kids Will Actually Eat?
Unregistered 03:26 PM 07-27-2019
Hi all,

I've been working so hard to serve a variety of healthy meals and snacks, but it seems like I throw away pretty much everything except fruit and crackers.

What are some meals and snacks that your kids like to eat?

Also, how often to you repeat meals and snacks?

One more question- what do you do if a child refuses a meal, then complains of being hungry an hour later? Would you give them a snack, or tell them that they have to wait until the next scheduled meal or snack time?

Thank you!!!
flying_babyb 05:28 PM 07-27-2019
Pastas with sauces
Beans and weenies
toasted cheese
pizza
Nuggets
two tortillas with cheese and meat in between melted.

Those are the popular ones here. We eat alot of pasta in various sauces. Oh meat balls are the current hit. our menu is made for a month and repetes each month, substituting whatever fruit is suposted to be in season.
Blackcat31 06:23 PM 07-27-2019
Here’s an entire section of the forum focused on meals and snacks

https://www.daycare.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=6
284878 05:29 AM 07-28-2019
Originally Posted by Unregistered:
Hi all,

I've been working so hard to serve a variety of healthy meals and snacks, but it seems like I throw away pretty much everything except fruit and crackers.

What are some meals and snacks that your kids like to eat?

Also, how often to you repeat meals and snacks?

One more question- what do you do if a child refuses a meal, then complains of being hungry an hour later? Would you give them a snack, or tell them that they have to wait until the next scheduled meal or snack time?

Thank you!!!
I try not to repeat meals more than every two weeks. Try taking a look at local school menus for ideas. Heck print one post it and use it.

If they don't eat to bad, they have to wait. I don't even talk to them about it.
Josiegirl 03:38 AM 07-30-2019
It seemed like my weekly menu didn't vary a whole lot. I tried to feed them things I knew they'd eat and throw in foods to try also. I always served enough that I didn't think they'd go hungry.

Favorite snacks:
string cheese
cheese and crackers
apples and peanut butter
cereal mix with raisins(or other dried fruits)
fruit salad
cucumbers, carrots and hummus
muffins
yogurt

Lunches:
chicken(either HM nuggets, barbecued legs or stir-fried in Italian dressing) with pasta
Hamburgers/buns
Pork chops/brown rice
Turkey breast sandwiches(sometimes in pita)
Breakfast foods(pancakes, french toast with ham)
Hot dogs 1x a month
Pizza every Friday

(I always tried to serve at least 2 veggies and a fruit)

I tried to stay away from letting them have anything an hour later if they didn't eat at the scheduled times. That's a bad habit to start. Pretty soon you turn into a short order cook.
hwichlaz 08:57 AM 07-30-2019
I use this menu but only serve one snack.

http://ccfprtconference.weebly.com/u...n_sos_menu.pdf

My snacks are always a fruit or veggie and a protien taken from the two snacks listed on this menu. I serve meals at meal times only. Eat it or don't, not my problem.

If I don't stress or care about what they eat, they eat more.
trix23 08:33 AM 08-06-2019
I serve balanced meals and children can choose to eat or not, but they need to wait til the next meal/snack to eat if they choose not to. I'm not a restaurant or a short-order cook. I do vegetarian stuff 3-4 days a week and the kids love it! sweet potatoes, beans, ethnic foods, casseroles made from scratch, soups, pasta with veggies, roasted veggies and chicken, baked breads, waffles and eggs and fruit, etc.
jenboo 08:35 AM 08-06-2019
I create 3 weeks of menus and rotate through them for 6 months. I find that it takes a lot of exposure for kids to start liking other foods.
Ariana 11:35 AM 08-06-2019
You will go crazy trying to cater to all of the kids. Pick foods you think are healthy and that the kids might like and serve them. It is up to them to eat and I only serve meals at scheduled times. You will find a few meals that are a hit and you can keep serving those on rotation along with new ideas.

Some of our favs are:
Hummus, veggies and crackers/pita
Meatloaf loaded with veggies
Soup and sandwich
Tuna casserole
Chicken, rice and veggies
Quesadilla
LK5kids 12:15 PM 08-11-2019
Lunch-
English muffin pizzas
Homemade Mac and cheese-pasta, butter , milk grated cheddar. You can also add a can of chicken breast.
BBQ’s
Frozen cheese ravioli and sauce
I have kids who will eat meatloaf
Apple pancakes & sausage
Corn muffin, baked beans, cottage cheese, 🍉 and a veggie
Homemade lunchable
Lasagna toss -pasta, cottage cheese, sauce and meat if you want
Breakfast skillet-cut up baked potatoes, add eggs and cheese heat.
Scrambled eggs and hash browns

Snack
Cheese and crackers
Apples 🍎 and pretzels
Homemade banana bread
Graham crackers and blueberries
Yogurt
Fishing for a snack. Stick pretzels 🥨 fish crackers and peanut butter for bait
Apples and string cheese
Watermelon 🍉 and crackers
Smoothies made with frozen bananas and frozen raspberries and milk -very thick and yummy
Raisin toast and fruit 🍌
Tags:food, healthy food, healthy snacks
Reply Up