Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Charging When Closed
CountryRoads 08:46 AM 10-23-2020
My policy is I don't charge when I'm closed. When I was closed for several weeks when COVID first started, I didn't charge.

Now, our small town has several cases and I'm just waiting until it hits my daycare. The worst case scenario is I would have to close for 2 weeks - which is obviously a massive hit to my income. I know unemployment is still an option, but there's no way that would cover my loss of income.

I can't afford to close for 2 weeks if a dck ever tested positive for COVID. It's out of my control and it's not fair that I would have to take this massive loss. It's stressing me out thinking I could lose half my months income at some point. All my families get paid days and I have one dcp who runs a business that has savings put aside to pay their employees if they have to close - so I don't know why I should have to go without.

How have you guys handled it? Did you send out a separate letter/contract having parents agree to still pay if you have to close due to a COVID case?

Or is this just a downfall to being self-employed? I think of all the small mom and pop stores and restaurants that wouldn't get paid either.
Annalee 09:34 AM 10-23-2020
Originally Posted by CountryRoads:
My policy is I don't charge when I'm closed. When I was closed for several weeks when COVID first started, I didn't charge.

Now, our small town has several cases and I'm just waiting until it hits my daycare. The worst case scenario is I would have to close for 2 weeks - which is obviously a massive hit to my income. I know unemployment is still an option, but there's no way that would cover my loss of income.

I can't afford to close for 2 weeks if a dck ever tested positive for COVID. It's out of my control and it's not fair that I would have to take this massive loss. It's stressing me out thinking I could lose half my months income at some point. All my families get paid days and I have one dcp who runs a business that has savings put aside to pay their employees if they have to close - so I don't know why I should have to go without.

How have you guys handled it? Did you send out a separate letter/contract having parents agree to still pay if you have to close due to a COVID case?

Or is this just a downfall to being self-employed? I think of all the small mom and pop stores and restaurants that wouldn't get paid either.
I get paid regardless....no matter what....I am not heartless but I am also not the one that took all the sitmulus money and bought brand new cars and went on expensive vacations....so we all make choices and mine is to get paid.
MomBoss 09:34 AM 10-23-2020

Ive been dealing with this thought myself. Ive decided that if I have to close due to a DCK having covid, then i still charge. If I am sick with covid, I wont charge. Just like in my contract, I dont charge If i have to close due to my own illness or vacation. Its not my fault a daycare child gets sick and interrupts my business. If the parents still want a spot in my daycare, they need to pay for it. Its also not like we have a choice to stay open Or not. The government says we have to close if a child or the provider gets covid. So its outbof our control and I think parents should understand.
Cat Herder 10:10 AM 10-23-2020
I had an honest discussion with my clients, in group chat and we all came to the decision to split the difference if I have to close for COVID.

I am unaware of a way I can apply for unemployment in my State. All that was available was a one time grant for supplies and I did get that. Anything above that is on us as far as I know.
CountryRoads 10:26 AM 10-23-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
I had an honest discussion with my clients, in group chat and we all came to the decision to split the difference if I have to close for COVID.

I am unaware of a way I can apply for unemployment in my State. All that was available was a one time grant for supplies and I did get that. Anything above that is on us as far as I know.
Self-employed people were eligible for unemployment under the CARES Act. It was a pain, but the extra money from the CARES Act made it worth it...but it was still less than what I would've made if I was open. Now, that extra money is gone I'm pretty sure. I also received a one time payment from my state several months ago.

I may have to have a conversation, too if it ever comes to having to close.

A little off topic, but I felt very unappreciated when I had to close when this first started. ALL of my families continued to work their full-time jobs and I didn't charge anybody. Not one family offered to pay ANYTHING. One family acknowledged the loss I was taking and sent me a gift card to a restaurant, but no one offered or even tried to pay a dollar to me. The person who cares for the most important people in their life.

It's just made be bitter if I have to close again because of Covid. I'm not as willing to help out my dcf anymore.
CountryRoads 10:34 AM 10-23-2020
Originally Posted by MomBoss:
Ive been dealing with this thought myself. Ive decided that if I have to close due to a DCK having covid, then i still charge. If I am sick with covid, I wont charge. Just like in my contract, I dont charge If i have to close due to my own illness or vacation. Its not my fault a daycare child gets sick and interrupts my business. If the parents still want a spot in my daycare, they need to pay for it. Its also not like we have a choice to stay open Or not. The government says we have to close if a child or the provider gets covid. So its outbof our control and I think parents should understand.
Did you send out a letter? I was thinking the same thing that I get it, I won't charge, but if a dck gets it, then I will. I'm worried my policy is going to come back to bite me. It says that anytime daycare is unavailable I don't charge.

I feel I would need to send out a separate letter requiring a signature that if I'm forced to close daycare (i.e. not my choice) then payment is still required to keep your spot. Maybe I could just send out a letter like that if it ever comes down to me having to close? Explaining that it is not my fault I'm closed, so payment is still required.
Cat Herder 11:17 AM 10-23-2020
Self-employed people were eligible for unemployment under the CARES Act.
My understanding was that was only available if your State made you close. It had to be proven. Mine has never shut us down. I have never met requirements to close. Not even one day.
Blackcat31 11:22 AM 10-23-2020
If I have to close because a DCK has COVID I’ll still charge.
Reason being I’m closing because of a DCK.

If I got it and had to close I’d still charge because it’s my normal policy to do so as I allow myself a set # of closed days per year which I rarely if ever use.

I just had a DC family out for a month because they got COVID and they paid in full for 2 kids the entire month.

It’s just the nature of the business we are in
Snowmom 03:32 PM 10-23-2020
My personal policy is: if I am open, rates are due.

It doesn't affect me financially too much to close unpaid for a couple weeks (since my SO pays the mortgage). But I've been debating coming up with a new Covid policy to cover up to two weeks a year paid. There's just so much potential to be closed repeatedly and that's not something that I'd be ok with since THEY are the ones bringing it in.

I've had several families in the past couple months out for 2-3 weeks due to coughs. All tested negative thank goodness. But it's coming!
284878 08:37 PM 10-23-2020
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
My understanding was that was only available if your State made you close. It had to be proven. Mine has never shut us down. I have never met requirements to close. Not even one day.
There is a second clause to self-employed unemployment/cares act. The main part it if the state shuts you down, the second part was an or if situation where you had to close because... Compromised immune system, contracted covid, some in your household has covid and so on...

So if you have to close you should at least try and apply.
Cat Herder 06:18 AM 10-24-2020
Originally Posted by 284878:
There is a second clause to self-employed unemployment/cares act. The main part it if the state shuts you down, the second part was an or if situation where you had to close because... Compromised immune system, contracted covid, some in your household has covid and so on...

So if you have to close you should at least try and apply.
Thanks. So far, so good, but still good to know. It is all so confusing.
Sunshine69 05:22 AM 10-25-2020
I did all new contracts that include payment for Covid closure and pay for my sick time if needed.

I have not closed a single day yet and though my DCPs were not working for several months, they still got their full pay (government employees).

If I don’t get paid, I can’t pay my mortgage and therefore have no place to provide childcare. I am a one income household. I have no spouse to help with income.

I’ve heard something about unemployment but it is not easy to get in my state. Folks I know who worked regular jobs took 3-4 months to get their unemployment.

I was planning on adding my sick pay to contracts anyway. I got tired of parents sending their kids in sick, coughing, sneezing and snot running and sharing it all with me.

I have kids of my own. Now, when they have cold symptoms, they get sent home and can’t go back until they get negative Covid results. I informed my DCPs that if I need to pick my kids up at school, they’d have to get their kids out of daycare immediately, so I can pick up my sick kids at school. I’ve had more kids out sick lately.
Tags:covid-19 and daycare
Reply Up