Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Requirements For Opening A Home Day Care
nikky 11:59 AM 06-05-2017
I am planning to open a home day care in California. What are the requirements to open it.I have taken pre and primary teacher's training .Is there any other certification I need to take.
Blackcat31 12:23 PM 06-05-2017
Originally Posted by nikky:
I am planning to open a home day care in California. What are the requirements to open it.I have taken pre and primary teacher's training .Is there any other certification I need to take.
Welcome to the forum!
Here are the guidelines for child care in California

https://www.daycare.com/california/
CityGarden 01:07 PM 06-05-2017
Welcome!

http://www.cdss.ca.gov/inforesources...Care-Licensing
hwichlaz 04:05 PM 06-05-2017
First you need to go to a licensing orientation. They will sign your application when you are there as your proof. Then you need to take the California Childcare Provider's Health and Safety course. It's put on by the Red Cross and takes one full day, usually a Saturday. Then you need a licensing approved first-aid and CPR course....and you need your Livescan and Child abuse index check. You can turn in your application as soon as you've completed orientation and your livescan though, and schedule the other classes. At orientation they'll give you a check list to get your home ready for your pre licensing visit.
deartasia 01:20 PM 01-09-2018
About how long is the process from the beginning to end (orientation to doors open for business)? This is taking into consideration no violations and home is in compliance during inspections.

Thank you so much in advance so I have discovered this forum 2 days ago and I am encouraged, informed, and motivated.
Blackcat31 01:24 PM 01-09-2018
Originally Posted by deartasia:
About how long is the process from the beginning to end (orientation to doors open for business)? This is taking into consideration no violations and home is in compliance during inspections.

Thank you so much in advance so I have discovered this forum 2 days ago and I am encouraged, informed, and motivated.
What state are you in?
I am sure it varies by state as each state has different requirements
MarinaVanessa 06:29 PM 01-09-2018
Don't forget that as of this year (2018) any new applicants will have to submit a certificate of completion for Mandated Reporter training. It's free and online and will have to be renewed every 2 years just like your CPR training. It's a good idea to do your CPR and Mandated Reporter training around the same time so you always remember your re-certification dates are at the same time, you won't forget that way.

The rest of us have until March 30 to do it and then will have to re-certify every 2 years from then on.

http://mandatedreporterca.com/training/training.htm
MarinaVanessa 06:49 PM 01-09-2018
The amount of time depends on how fast you get everything done and how fast licensing can process the application.
If you go through the American Red Cross to do your CPR you'll have to make sure the class you get is the full CA child care course. It's 2 days long and you will need to take the infant/child/adult CPR, infant/child/adult first aid and CA preventative health and safety. The CPR and first aid are easy enough to find (and will need to get renewed every 2 years) but the preventative class they only hold once every month/every 2 months and you may have to drive a little further to attend. So that's 2 months right there (the most).

The background check is easy, just find a LiveScan fingerprinting place. The Sheriff's office does them, by appointment. You can schedule this during the time that you're waiting to take your CPR/first aid/preventative class.

The orientation is online now, but you can do it in person if you want (but why would you want to?? kwim. The online one is cheaper anyway) so you can do this at home also while you're waiting for your CPR class.

The Mandated Reporter training is free and online and takes about 2-4 hours and you can get that done before CPR too.

You'll need to child-proof your home so depending on whether or not you already have kids in your home depends on the amount of time you'll spend doing this. I don't see it taking longer than the two months.

You'll need to be up to date with your immunizations including the flu shot but you can schedule an appointment and get it done while waiting for your CPR class.

Same thing with your TB test.

Once you have all of that above you can submit your application. It takes a couple of days for licensing to receive it. Send it directly to your local office, not to the Sacramento office. Sacramento will just receive it and send it to your local office which can add two additional weeks to your waiting time. Once your office receives it they will take about 2 weeks to go through it and verify everything.

If it all pans out you will get a call to schedule a home visit for your initial inspection. Typically they will call you and schedule it for the following week. If you pass it on your first go (they will check for safety, fire extinguisher etc) they will approve your licence right then and there and will print out your license right in your home at the visit and you're all set.

If it goes well and quickly and you don't hit any snags you can have your license in as fast as 6-10 weeks from start to finish.
Tags:california - regulations
Reply Up