Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What's Your Take on Smoking
dEHmom 10:22 AM 12-17-2010
I'm just curious what other peoples opinions are when they find out their daycare provider is a smoker!

Me personally I would find it alarming, and make me question not the quality of the care itself, nor the character of the provider, but the health of my child.

Are they smoking in the house?
Have my children seen them smoking?
laundrymom 10:28 AM 12-17-2010
well Im not a smoker, so I cant answer that, however If I was taking my child to a provider, I would choose one who was NOT a smoker. Just a personal preferance,....

however,... I hate when people lie about it. Im not dumb, I can smell, I know some of the parents smoke. They lie. lol

Originally Posted by Baybee0585:
I'm just curious what other peoples opinions are when they find out their daycare provider is a smoker!

Me personally I would find it alarming, and make me question not the quality of the care itself, nor the character of the provider, but the health of my child.

dEHmom 10:33 AM 12-17-2010
exactly!

I mean I used to once upon a time be a smoke. But I grew up, had kids, and truth is, if your children see you smoke they are much more likely to begin smoking. My uncle died a year ago from lung cancer. My dad is having an angiogram today, he had a heartattack on the surgery table for his gall bladder a few months ago. And they've decided to schedule a bypass for him. SCARY.

I'm not saying smokers are bad people, or can't take care of children. But it just bothers me to see smoke butts outside because I don't know if they are leaving kids unattended while they smoke. Or if they smoke inside when kids are there.
dEHmom 10:33 AM 12-17-2010
p.s. sorry I am a daycare provider. Once upon a time my kids went to daycare. Changed my mind, and decided to do it myself.
safechner 10:36 AM 12-17-2010
I will ask providers if she is a smoker or not before I put my kids in their daycare. I will choose non smoker daycare provider because I CANNOT STAND of smell. I do not want around my girls because it is gross.

I know it sounds mean but every time I passed people who are smoking and I cover my nose or hold my breath. My husband knows I hate it. One of my parent do smoke but I have to be patient whatever I can, lol..
Live and Learn 10:45 AM 12-17-2010
I am not a smoker.
I think that it is 100% personal choice if any adult wants to smoke.
Just like it is 100% personal choice if a parent wants to leave their child with a smoker dc provider.

I was fortunate enough to stay home with all of my own kids before I started daycare birth to first grade.....if I had needed daycare there is just no way at all ever I would have used a daycare provider who smoked. I have a very sensitive nose and to be honest I can pick up THAT smell a mile away.....Give me the smell of diapers over cigarette smoke any day!
dEHmom 10:49 AM 12-17-2010
agree totally.

i think if my kids were in daycare, and i found out the daycare provider was smoking and lied about it, i would pull the kids out.

but at the same time, to be fair, my father smokes, step father smokes, father in law used to, sister smokes, etc, and i wouldnt' think twice about leaving my kids in their care. I know they don't smoke in the house though, so i don't know, maybe thats an important factor.
MyAngels 10:52 AM 12-17-2010
agree totally.

i think if my kids were in daycare, and i found out the daycare provider was smoking and lied about it, i would pull the kids out.

but at the same time, to be fair, my father smokes, step father smokes, father in law used to, sister smokes, etc, and i wouldnt' think twice about leaving my kids in their care. I know they don't smoke in the house though, so i don't know, maybe thats an important factor.
It's a little different when it's your family, though. You can't choose family , but you can choose a daycare provider. My FIL smokes, too, and I would never have hesitated to leave my kids with him in a million years. His smoking was a non-issue. He would never have smoked around his grandchildren when they were small. Come to think of it, he doesn't smoke around them even now.
dEHmom 11:28 AM 12-17-2010
Very true, but essentially if you are trusting some person to care for your child, they sort of become like family. You wouldn't leave your child with just anybody. You wouldn't think twice about the majority of your family members, and you shouldn't think twice about your daycare provider. So that's the only reason I really brought up this issues as it has been on my mind several times. I mean being a former smoker, i can see how smoking is a choice any adult has. It doesn't make you a bad person, irresponsible, or incompetent of caring for children. It's a bad habit, and smells bad. And maybe you're just a casual smoker, or you have designated smoke breaks when lets say children are napping, or you only have before and after your work day. There's a lot to think about.
If I was still a smoker, I can understand and respect a parents choice not to choose me as a provider, but it would always bother me because it's discrimination in a sense. Assuming I do not smoke in my home, or around the kids.
nikia 12:24 PM 12-17-2010
I think as long as it is not done in the home, or in the car that they are transporting kids, done while kids are at their house then what do I care. So if they only smoke before kids get there and after kids leave its really none of my business.
DanceMom 12:38 PM 12-17-2010
What a person does OUTSIDE of daycare is their choice. As long as the provider is not smoking during daycare hours ( or in their house ever ) I could care less.

I actually had a parent ask me if I smoked ( which I dont ) but there was a receipt for cigarettes in a grocery bag I sent poopy clothes home in...It was my mom's as she is a smoker - when she is here she will smoke outside ( not during daycare hours though as she lives in another town and is here on weekends only )

Im pretty sure they think Im lying, but oh well.
misol 12:55 PM 12-17-2010
As a parent I would immediately pull my children from an in-home provider who was a smoker or had smokers in the home. I would also make certain to ask if there were any smokers in the home before enrolling there. Even if they didn't smoke inside the house I wouldn't want any parts of it. I don't want me or my children to have to walk through the "cloud" every time we enter and exit the home. I wouldn't want a provider whose hair and clothes reek of smoke snuggling my child. I wouldn't want a smoking provider hacking and coughing up their left lung around my child every day. and I wouldn't want my child to see this person smoking every day as children are very impressionable.

I am a provider who does not smoke. In my initial interviews I ask parents if they smoke or if there are any smokers in the home. I will not knowingly accept a child who comes from a smoking household (even if the smoker doesn't smoke inside the house). I would not want to snuggle or have much physical contact with a child whose hair and clothes reeked of smoke. In addition, I would not want my home smelling like smoke as a result of this child and his belongings being there.

I don't think that smokers are bad people - they just have a disgusting habit that negatively affects their own health and the health of others. Smoking is a personal decision but it's a public problem.

IMHO, I think that the quality of care children receive from a smoking provider can be affected if a provider smokes. Breathing issues may limit the persons physical ability to engage in certain activities with the kids, they are likely to need more sick time than a healthy, non-smoking provider, and frequent smoke breaks may mean that they children are left unattended more often than a parent would like. Not saying that this is the case for all smoking providers - just giving examples. I know that plenty of other situations/conditions/habits/illnesses can fall under this unmbrella but this thread is specifically about smoking.
DCMomOf3 10:48 AM 12-17-2010
I am a former smoker (before I had kids or a daycare). I would not want my kids at a home with a smoker. In a center where they take smoke breaks outside/off site, I can't control, but if I could I wouldn't want it. I think it's bad for the kids to see it, and breathe it.
Former Teacher 06:02 AM 12-18-2010
My mother and father both smoked for 50 odd years. My father quit cold turkey because he was diagnosed with lung cancer. Thank God we got in time and it was just a small patch. He had the surgery and is doing awesome almost 8 years later.

My mother, too, quit cold turkey because she was diagnosed with breast cancer. Again, it was caught in time. She asked the doctor if she can continue to smoke. The doctor said Sure! Up until you have the surgery. Then NO MORE. She too has been cancer free for almost 6 years.

My husband smokes. I do not let smoke in my house or car. He has tried (just not hard enough) several things, nothing has worked. According to him, he says its just a habit that he never finishes them. Well then to me that's a waste of money then.

It's sad to say but sometimes it takes a heart wrenching moment in life for people to wake up.
dEHmom 06:07 AM 12-18-2010
ask him to talk to his doctor about Chantix or Zyban or something. It's a shot, if it doesn't work, then tell him he can smoke for the rest of his life if he wants. But if it works, he owes you a massage everyday for the rest of your life!
Former Teacher 06:11 AM 12-18-2010
ask him to talk to his doctor about Chantix or Zyban or something. It's a shot, if it doesn't work, then tell him he can smoke for the rest of his life if he wants. But if it works, he owes you a massage everyday for the rest of your life!
Sounds like a plan!!!!!
countrymom 12:35 PM 12-18-2010
in ontario, we have a no smoking policy in alot of places, like restaurants and public places. Right now they are in the process of making sporting events smoke free (doesn't it make sense) and they acually polled highschool kids and they all said the same thing, that smoking at sporting events was ridiculous. Also you can not smoke with your children in the vehicle. I don't care, I'm not a smoker.

so my back up provider hired an assistant who didn't tell her that she was a smoker. Well one day I show up and the assistant is outside smoking, so I ask C, what is she doing outside smoking (C's house is smoke free) and she told me that the assistant never told her that she smoked. Well it was the kids who started to complain that she smelled and that she was outside way too much on a smoke break, the assistant lasted one week and she was let go.
misol 08:34 PM 12-18-2010
Originally Posted by marniewon:
I'm really trying not to be offended here, and I know most (if not all) are trying really hard to NOT be offensive, but I guess I really am.

I'm a smoker. I'm also a professional daycare provider. The people making comments about pulling their kids immediately if they knew their provider smoked - what do you think we do? Light up in the playroom during circle time?!? I do not smoke in the house. I never smoke anywhere the kids could see me. I always use a strong mint and wash my hands after. There are no cigarette butts laying around my yard. I never leave the kids unattended, my breaks are only when my "assistants" are here and helping. The care I give my dck's is never compromised because I smoke. I've missed ONE day since starting daycare, and that was from the stomach flu I caught from one of the kids. My dckids are way sicker than I ever am. We take walks, I chase them around outside, I play on the floor occasionally with them. I don't have a problem keeping up with the kids. I would bet that none of my parents know I smoke, and I interact with them and their children every day. If they were to ask me point blank, I would tell them yes. I would not lie, have never lied about it, it has just never come up. I do not smell like smoke, my kids do not go home smelling like smoke.
marniewon, I was not trying to offend - I was just stating my personal opinion about smoking and what I would and wouldn't do when dealing with a provider who smokes or knowingly accepting a child from a smoking household. I personally wouldn't want to deal with either.

I'm not around smokers so I have no idea what smokers do or how they handle their addiction. Some may be able to control themselves enough not to ever smoke around their kids or in their houses or in their cars - but some may not. As a parent I would not have the time nor the desire to try and determine whether my provider was a heavy smoker, or just a social smoker, or only smokes when drinking, etc. All I want to know is if she smokes AT ALL and that would be all I needed to make my decision.

I wasn't trying to attack YOUR professionalism as a smoking provider. I was just throwing a few things out there to consider. As far as being more likely to get sick and having health issues - just take a look at what health insurance premiums are for a smoker versus a nonsmoker. There are plenty of studies out there documenting smoking and it's effects on productivity and absenteeism in the workplace. Even though the studies don't mention specific industries, I would assume that daycare would not be exempt especially since it's a pretty physical job. Even some employment applications now ask whether or not you are a smoker. If you have only had to close one day then you should consider yourself lucky and so should your dc parents. I am asthmatic and even though I haven't had to close, there have been 2 or 3 days where I had to limit my physical activity with the kids because of breathing problems on a certain day. So, any and all health related issues have the potential to affect your performance at work - not just smoking.

Originally Posted by QualiTcare:
if someone doesn't smoke in the home or around their children then their child/belongings wouldn't smell like smoke and certainly couldn't make your house smell.
This may be true. Like i said, I wouldn't knowingly accept a child into care that comes from a smoking household. If I unknowingly took a child from a smoking home and the kid or their belongings did not smell of smoke then there wouldn't be a problem. As long as I can't tell (which is unlikely for me) then I guess we can do business together and if the odor ever became an issue then I would look for new clients.

Originally Posted by Daycare_Mama:
I'm a provider and also one of those parents who would pull their kid out immediately if I found out my provider smoked. And it has nothing to do with thinking the person isn't capable of taking care of kids. I would believe them if they said they never smoked during daycare hours, but that doesn't matter one bit.

It's the whole logic of something as basic as the way a person's home smells. Everyone's home has a smell of some sort that is their home, good, bad, neutral. It has some sort of smell unique to that house. You know how you've gone to someone's house before and it smelled bad repeatedly.. animals, or whatever it may be. That person lives in that house everyday and doesn't notice the smell. It's the same for smoking. As a smoker, you can say that you don't smell it on yourself or your stuff, but nonsmokers CAN smell it. It smells in your hair, on your shirt, etc. I've walked into a friend's house for 10-15 minutes at a party where someone was smoking and when I went home later that night, my shirt reeked. Unless, you are smoking, going inside taking off your clothes you were just in, throwing them in the wash right away, showering/washing your hair, and putting on new clothes, you are going to have some smoke smell on you and/or in your home. That's just a fact.

So, while a smoker is perfectly capable of being an excellent care giver of children, I personally would never send my child to one and would pull them out right away if I found out they were a smoker. For one, my daughter was born 3 months early and has bad asthma - I don't want her around any sort of smell of it, even after the cigarette is long gone. That's toxic to her already scarred lungs. But even if my daughter had perfectly normal full term lungs, I still wouldn't send her to a provider who was a smoker. I think that may be hard for a smoker to understand, but it's absolutely nothing personal or offensive.. just a fact that there's no way to get rid of every single lingering smell after someone smokes.

SOOOOOOOOOOOO true. I was thinking all of this but my original post was already too long so I left it out I am allergic to cigarette smoke and I am also an asthmatic so I am sure that this is probably the root of my repulsion toward smoking. I have a very keen sense of smell. I consider myself one of those people who can smell a smoker a mile away and I haven't been wrong yet. Regular smokers who think that they are fooling people by only smoking outside, washing hands or eating mints after, etc. are only fooling themselves. It's kind of like putting on perfume or deodorant without taking a shower - we can still smell you. It's in your hair, on your skin, your clothes, your undergarments. The same is true with people who have pets that claim no one would ever be able to tell they have a dog, a cat, a baboon, or whatever. Even if your house doesn't "stink", there is still a distinctive smell that you/your home has - unless maybe you are one of the rare people these days who has an "outside" dog or something.

Smokers and pet owners - please keep in mind that just because someone doesn't mention anything about you having a pet or being a smoker doesn't mean that they cannot smell cigarette smoke or your pet's scent on you.

Question: Do any of you that smoke volunteer this information to parents without them having to ask?
jen 06:45 PM 12-18-2010
Welbutrin combined with a nicorette patch does wonders.
MarinaVanessa 11:10 AM 12-20-2010
Im in Ca and when you have a daycare in your home you have to follow the same laws as anywhere else such as no smoking within a certain number of feet of any windows or doors , yes even in your home. so im assuming that if a daycare provider has a home daycare and smokes and needs to take a smoking break they have to have an assistant to watch the kids while they go out to do it. im not sure though as im not a smoker but i will say that a smoking daycare provider would probably be deal breaker for me.
PitterPatter 05:25 AM 05-28-2011
Originally Posted by dEHmom:

Wow an old post but it's on top of the heap so here goes my entry.

I do not smoke. My home is smoke free. I have had guests come that smoke and the smoke outside. I do have a discreet ash tray type thing out there for that purpose. When my Mother comes for dinner she does smoke but outside where the kids are not around it. When my son was born I wouldn't allow any smoke around him. If u want us to visit u have to smoke outside or we will just opt not to visit, sorry. Same here as always, take it outside.

I wouldn't want to teach a child it is ok to smoke and I def wouldn't want them going home smelling of smoke. I have the reverse problem. I have 2 children that come and smell of smoke. Both parents smoke and I guess they have 2 other adults staying with them that also smoke so that's 4 smokers in the house. So when I hug her kids they smell of it and as much as I hate it I have to deal with it. In my 5 yrs of childcare I have only had 2 parents that didn't smoke. I haven't had many clients tho most usually stay for a long period of time. Shortest being 1 1/2 years, longest being 3 years.

I have actually had a parent that smoked 'funny cigaretts' before bringing the child to daycare. I could smell it and I addressed it. Excuses were made and I was mistaken but whatever I know what that is!

I also hate smokeless tobacco, the chew and rub or snuff whatever they call it. I actually made an entry into my handbook this yr because of it. I have had DCDs in the past that use it and of course they don't remove it and I never had a problem but a recent DCD is so messy with it! It fills in between his teeth and when he talks it's moving like it's going to pop right out onto my new carpet! I can't help but watch it instead of his eyes when we have discussions. I don't know how to tell him yet that I don't want it in my house or if I even can tell him. It's not polluting the air or harming the children but it could pop out or he could drool EEEW GAG sorry but u get my point here!
Tags:smokers
Reply Up