Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>What Does It Take To Lose A License?
Deedub 06:21 PM 04-06-2017
Has anyone ever known a facility to lose their license? What does it take to get to that point? Do regulators act faster in cases of misuse of state funds or safety concerns?

And in what instances would a specific person be barred from ever obtaining a license again?
Pestle 07:06 PM 04-06-2017
Why do you ask? Are you worried about losing yours, or are you involved with someone you think might could lose theirs?

(That's the Appalachian might-could, BTW. It's deliberate.)
Deedub 09:53 PM 04-06-2017
Originally Posted by Pestle:
Why do you ask? Are you worried about losing yours, or are you involved with someone you think might could lose theirs?

(That's the Appalachian might-could, BTW. It's deliberate.)
The latter, sort of. I have left the facility, having both witnessed and reported certain violations, as well as finding previous records of outstanding violations. Also, the history of substantiated complaints contributed to the decision.

So, I was curious if the system ever drew a line or not. And if there were certain issues that were deemed more important, for some reason?
Blackcat31 05:29 AM 04-07-2017
I am in MN

Here ANY violation that creates an unsafe environment for the child that can not be immediately rectified, the provider may either have their license temporarily suspended or it may be revoked all together. It's dependent on the situation.

A provider has the option of appealing the revocation or suspension and may or may not continue to operate while under appeal but again its all dependent on the violation they were initially cited for.

There is a process and several steps in each situation that is never clear or cut/dry.

I don't know what your state's process is for this type of consequence or corrective action but you should be able to easily find the answers with a quick search of your state's licensing website.

My state also has a state licensing look up site where anyone can look up a licensed program and read any violations, citations and/or negative action orders.
Cat Herder 07:27 AM 04-07-2017
This entire post makes me uneasy.

Is your goal to make someone pay for not doing things your way or was there an egregious violation of a child health and safety? If there was why would you not call the police then and there, on the spot? It would have been your duty as a mandated reporter.

I can't tell if you are researching a topic for school or planning on destroying someones career out of spite.

It just feels off to me. Please clarify.
Blackcat31 08:21 AM 04-07-2017
Originally Posted by Cat Herder:
This entire post makes me uneasy.

Is your goal to make someone pay for not doing things your way or was there an egregious violation of a child health and safety? If there was why would you not call the police then and there, on the spot? It would have been your duty as a mandated reporter.

I can't tell if you are researching a topic for school or planning on destroying someones career out of spite.

It just feels off to me. Please clarify.
I had the same thoughts (given the nature of the threads/posts) the OP has written.

Wondering if OP will clarify and state the reasons for her/his questions.... It would be much easier to answer clearly when the situation isn't presented so obscurely.
Cat Herder 08:38 AM 04-07-2017
Expired milk, loose bricks, broken equipment/toys, building materials in children's reach, sick kids, and lice were the topics of concern, but not one is a criminal offense.

Expired, but non-spoiled, milk would warrant a visit from the food program rep. It would yield retraining at best, a fine and retraining at worst.

Broken equipment, loose bricks and building materials would warrant roping off the area until repairs are made. A new calculation of usable space would be made. At best a 30 day notice to repair would be issued. At worst a fine, reduced ratio and a 30 day notice to repair would be issued.

Broken toys would be thrown out by inspector on the spot.

Lice and mild sick kids on site would warrant retraining at best, retraining and a fine at worst.

None of those are ideal and should be corrected. But none of those were criminal or known cause for losing a license. Was there something more? If something big is going on, it needs to be addressed ASAP.
Laurie 09:43 AM 04-07-2017
I'm in CA and it's pretty hard to lose your license.
The above offenses would warrant a fine and being written up for her permanent record.

I suggest she contact the providers state licensing analyst and let them handle the situation. Any time a complaint is filed, they will come out and access the situation. Unfortunately it's all we can do...

It bothers me that people don't take pride in their daycare! Why wouldn't you want a happy, safe and healthy place for children to come. I just don't get it!
kendallina 11:42 AM 04-07-2017
In college I worked for a center for about 2 weeks that I really disliked. It was poorly run, we were always running out of snack items, it was dark, dingy and dirty. A few weeks after I left they were closed down pending investigation into a child being left out on the playground in the rain. They were also cited for not having enough food in the building. There may have been other infractions that I don't know about. They ended up losing their license. I would imagine that anything that could impact the safety or health of the children would cause a quick response.
Tags:mandated reporter, provider regulations, provider responsibility, reporting - suspected abuse, violations
Reply Up