Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Daycare Home Set Up
missT 09:13 AM 02-28-2014
So I'm planning to open a daycare center in a commercially zoned building. The problem is it might take a while to find the right building. I was thinking of having a smaller in home daycare until I get everything set up for the commercial one. My question is do those of you with home daycares have a certain part of your home sectioned off (like a basement) or do you use most of your home and just close off certain rooms? Just trying to figure out how that would work since I know a little bit more about commercial centers than home daycares. Thanks!
Rockgirl 09:40 AM 02-28-2014
You'll get a wide variety of responses on this! A few years ago, we converted our oversized two-car garage into a daycare room. I love it, because my living room doesn't have daycare items anymore, and I feel like I'm able to leave work at the end of the day.
NoMoreJuice! 09:59 AM 02-28-2014
Just wanted to let u know that in KS, closing a daycare and opening a new one takes a ton of work! I had to turn in my old license when I closed that one, then wait until that was all processed, then start all over at square one with the new license like I'd never had one before. The only good news is that my education credits stayed with me, not the old license. Anyway, it was a huge PITA that I wouldn't wish on anyone. I don't want to discourage you...just food for thought!
NoMoreJuice! 10:03 AM 02-28-2014
Sorry, guess I never answered your question, lol! I bought my current house because it had two extra bedrooms that we didn't need to live in, so those are my dc rooms (one upstairs, one down). The kids are allowed to bring toys out to play with in the living rooms, but when we clean up, all toys go on their shelves in those rooms. I even have cute little toddler tables that we eat meals at and do activities on, but Friday afternoons they get folded down and put in the toy room. So on weekends, it looks like a normal house!
missT 10:55 AM 02-28-2014
Thanks for the info. That's definitely good to know! I had a feeling that might be the case since the rules are different for each license. I was kind of thinking I would do the extra room set up unless we get a place with a good garage. What part of Kansas are you in? Do you know the square footage you need per child? I have the licensing rules downloaded but not with me and wanted to browse houses on my lunch break lol.
NoMoreJuice! 12:00 PM 02-28-2014
I'll have to double check, but I'm 90% sure that it's 25 square feet of PLAY space per child. That doesn't count kitchen, bathrooms, etc. I'm in the KC area. It's a great position to be in looking for houses that you KNOW you want to have daycare in. I wish I had known when I bought my first house, but when we were shopping for our second, I bought it specifically for daycare.

Makes things SO much better having a layout you're happy working in!
Blackcat31 12:22 PM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by missT:
So I'm planning to open a daycare center in a commercially zoned building. The problem is it might take a while to find the right building. I was thinking of having a smaller in home daycare until I get everything set up for the commercial one. My question is do those of you with home daycares have a certain part of your home sectioned off (like a basement) or do you use most of your home and just close off certain rooms? Just trying to figure out how that would work since I know a little bit more about commercial centers than home daycares. Thanks!
I run my daycare out of a separate home (house, not commercial).

I don't live here, just have daycare here. Maybe you could try that route first and then plan to move to a larger facility as your business grows?

I don't know about regulations in Utah but I know in some states you can't own a separate house but I am glad they allow it in my state because there is NO WAY I would still be in business (or even opened in the first place) if I had to do this in my own home.

I have TONS of respect for family providers who do this in their homes without separate space. It is NOT something I could do.
KSDC 12:25 PM 02-28-2014
Another Kansan here!

We have an older two story home. I only use the main floor for daycare. I have a room set aside as a play room. The majority of the toys, books, games, and such are in there, along with the changing table and the kiddos hooks and baskets for coats and shoes.

We also use the kitchen, dining, room and living room as daycare space. I also have a a half bath just off of the dining room. Only bathroom that DC is allowed to use. No worrying about DC messing with toothbrushes and such.

But, the upstairs is off-limits to daycare. All our bedrooms and the family room are up there. My own children love that they don't have to share the whole house. And they can leave the things that they don't want to share in their rooms.

If you can do it all separate, that would be ideal. If not, I HIGHLY recommend making at least part of your home separate.

Welcome!
missT 12:37 PM 02-28-2014
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
I run my daycare out of a separate home (house, not commercial).

I don't live here, just have daycare here. Maybe you could try that route first and then plan to move to a larger facility as your business grows?

I don't know about regulations in Utah but I know in some states you can't own a separate house but I am glad they allow it in my state because there is NO WAY I would still be in business (or even opened in the first place) if I had to do this in my own home.

I have TONS of respect for family providers who do this in their homes without separate space. It is NOT something I could do.
I'm actually moving back to Kansas to start a center. I've looked into it and I could have a separate house for a center but I couldn't go with commercial ratios and rules unless I had all the fire precautions required for a commercial center such as fire walls, doors and sprinklers so in the long run because of those things and the additional cost of a conditional use permit it would be best to have a commercial center in a commercial building that had some of those things. But it's definitely something I'll keep in mind once I'm ready for a bigger location.
Reply Up