Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Totaly off topic but I need advice quick!!
mrsp'slilpeeps 09:34 AM 02-01-2012
My daughter's 10th birthday party is schedualed for this Saturday, and there is only 1 of her friends showing up.

Her actual birthday is on Sunday.

Now what do I do? She is dissapointed and I feel hurt for her.

Do I just tell her friends mom it's cancelled or just take my dd and her friend swimming for a couple of hours?
Christian Mother 09:44 AM 02-01-2012
Sleep over and do something extra special that night with both of them????

Maybe late movie night? We took my son and a friend to see Avitar at the Imax one yr late with my husband and I. The kids loved it!
Blackcat31 09:44 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by mrsp'slilpeeps:
My daughter's 10th birthday party is schedualed for this Saturday, and there is only 1 of her friends showing up.

Her actual birthday is on Sunday.

Now what do I do? She is dissapointed and I feel hurt for her.

Do I just tell her friends mom it's cancelled or just take my dd and her friend swimming for a couple of hours?
Take your DD and her friend and make it the best, most fun day ever!!!!!

Maybe since it is only your DD and one friend, you could do lunch or something super special and I am sure your DD will have a great time despite only one friend being available to attend.
SandeeAR 09:54 AM 02-01-2012
Take the money you would have spent on a party for all the girls, and just blow it on the two! GIve them spending money and take them to the cheap jewelry place, at that age, they would love it. Do a fancier meal out, and the sleep over with other special things that night!

Give the two of them something really big to talk about at school on Monday
Crazy8 09:54 AM 02-01-2012
did you have the party scheduled for some place in particular or just at home?? if its just at home I would still have it, just not a "traditional" party - maybe take them for mani/pedis, out to lunch, etc. My DD is 12 and has stopped doing actual parties and would just rather take 1-2 good friends out somewhere special.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:00 AM 02-01-2012
I didnt have a place booked, It was just at home.

I was going to make her flower designed cupcakes too.

I like the idea of taking them out and buying them stuff, (dollar store) and out to lunch.
JenNJ 10:01 AM 02-01-2012
I would take the girls swimming, then to a grown up lunch, and a movie. I would have the friend sleep over too. I would have loved that as a kid!!
SandeeAR 10:18 AM 02-01-2012
I didnt have a place booked, It was just at home.

I was going to make her flower designed cupcakes too.

I like the idea of taking them out and buying them stuff, (dollar store) and out to lunch.
BTDT, with my now 28 and 30 y/o DD's. Set a limit you are comfortable with for spending for that day. Give them each the money to spend, keep it in envelopes with each name on it. YOU carry it, so they can't lose it. That way, you can easily say, Do you have the money left? And not be guilted into spending more.

We have a $dollar tree and a $dollar jewelry store here. The young girls LOVE it. So do I!
familyschoolcare 10:18 AM 02-01-2012
Are you sure that only one friend is coming did the other nor RSVP or did they say they where not coming. This is the age when people stop RSVPing for parties.
mrsp'slilpeeps 10:25 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
Are you sure that only one friend is coming did the other nor RSVP or did they say they where not coming. This is the age when people stop RSVPing for parties.
I wrote on each invite to please let me know by Jan 31 if they will be attending.

I think it's just good manners to let people know either way.
iheartkids 10:31 AM 02-01-2012
I am an RSVP forgetter. A lot of times I don't even remember or KNOW about the party till the day off and my daughter gets frantic about it. When I planned my daughter's 10th birthday I didn't know who was all coming till the day before. That was when either the girls all told her at school or I finally started recieving phone calls. If it would be easier I would just jump on the phone and make phone calls. Tell them you were trying to get an idea of how many girls were coming so you can plan things for them to do.
If they all RSVP's no then I would take the two girls and have them plan an awesome day. That would be better than cancelling and having her sad all day that she had no party . Sometimes a party of 2 is more fun than a party of 10 anyways!
SandeeAR 10:33 AM 02-01-2012
Originally Posted by familyschoolcare:
I wrote on each invite to please let me know by Jan 31 if they will be attending.

I think it's just good manners to let people know either way.
Just to be sure, I would make plans to pick up the one girl and be gone at the time you set the party to start. Even if it is just to go get Ice Cream. Just don't be home.
countrymom 10:52 AM 02-01-2012
you would be amazed how many people just don't bother calling anymore. couple years ago I hosted a big birthday party. 3 of my kids have birthdays within days of each other, so I decided to invited all 3 classes, roughly 55 kids (my odd invited some too) well less than half ended up calling us and letting me know. And I even wrote on the invites that I invited a large number of children that I needed to know. It was really hard to make up the food, and party favors. So anyone who called I invited their siblings too, I was really dissappointed how some parents are. I forget to call before the due date but I do call, even if its a few days later. I would make it into an awesome day for the girls and make sure they brag about it at school, rub it in their faces!!
wdmmom 10:58 AM 02-01-2012
My son had his birthday slumber party two weekends ago. NO ONE RSVP'd by the time they were suppose to so my son called each of the 6 boys and asked them if they were coming. Turns out, 3 of the boys could and 3 couldn't.

I think it's always best to follow up with the parents. Sometimes the invite gets left in the bookbag and the parents don't even see it.

Give each of them a call tonight, or have your daughter do it and go from there.

If there is only one that can make it, I like the others suggestions. Swimming, lunch, movie, sleep over.
itlw8 11:07 AM 02-01-2012
I agree call each girl that has not RSVP then if only one is really coming ramp up the plans to something really cool.
juliebug 11:16 AM 02-01-2012
i would call each girl to just to make sure i can't tell you how many times i thought 1 kids was coming and 10 showed up!
Reply Up