Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Starting Preschool
CaliMom 02:07 PM 05-24-2012
I have a DCB that is FT, M-F and will be going to preschool in the fall 2 days a week. I have not discussed prices with Mom yet, but would you lower the price since he won't be here for 3-4 hours on those days or still charge for FT? I would not be transporting the child.
MNMum 03:03 PM 05-24-2012
Most people I know would not give a discount,as he would still be occupying a FT spot. I have a family that will be cutting down to 2 days for preschool, and I will give them a deal because they are soooo respectful, their child is an easy kid and I wouldn't fill up anyway (I can have 6 under schoolage, but I prefer more like 4, so I would still take him and 4 others).
Countrygal 03:07 PM 05-24-2012
I charge by the hour. I had a preschooler last year and did not charge for the hours she was not here. But that's just the way I do it.
boysx5 03:08 PM 05-24-2012
I charge its very hard having them coming and going and its not easy to fill a spot for the few hours they are gone
WImom 04:41 PM 05-24-2012
I have one that goes to preschool two mornings a week and I don't give a discount because (a) I have a great preschool program (b) I'd never fill that space. Mom sometimes uses it the hours if preschool is closed (summer, school break) so it works out.
mac60 05:59 PM 05-24-2012
No discount here either. I could never fill the spot, nor would I want to have a changeover for 2/3 hours. Plus, I have a program here.

I have actually thought of charging a fee for going to outside preschool because it is a disruption of my day x 2. Pickup and drop off. It interferes with my breakfast and lunch times and I have to shuffle my schedule around on the days the kids go to "real" preschool. I hate interruptions.
DCBlessings27 06:11 PM 05-24-2012
I wouldn't discount at all. The brother of my 17mo dcb was in preschool. He came one day because his babysitter was sick. He was here from 12-5:30, so I charged the same price as I charge for a whole day. If they are here for more than 5 hours, I charge for a whole day.

I agree with those who say that it's a distraction too. I have some who will be going to preschool in 2013 if they're still with me. I'd rather not deal with the half day thing, so I may not ask for them back after I have my baby in December.
mac60 03:41 AM 05-25-2012
I think what parents forget is that we have a schedule that we follow each day and have the disruptions interrupts our schedules.
This year I had 3 kids go to outside preschool. 2 went W TH F from 8 to 10:40, 1 went M W F from 12:10 to 3. I was constantly juggling my meal times to accommodate them. Not only that, I was trying to do my own preschool activities here which was very difficult due to the various schedules of outside preschool and the days the kids were even here.

I have changed this for next year. If you are involved in "outside" preschool, I will not include you in mine. I am tired of juggling my days around other peoples choices, repeating activities, etc.
MizzCheryl 04:00 AM 05-25-2012
I charge for the spot. Here or not they pay the same.
Countrygal 05:45 AM 05-25-2012
Originally Posted by mac60:

I have changed this for next year. If you are involved in "outside" preschool, I will not include you in mine. I am tired of juggling my days around other peoples choices, repeating activities, etc.
I agree 100%. I may be facing this in the fall, and I'm not sure how to charge. The boy I have is only pt now (4 days a week) and if he goes to half days I will probably have to drop him and fill the slot with a full time or they will have to pay for full time. I am not accepting any part-timers under 30 hours.
SunshineMama 05:56 AM 05-25-2012
I would not lower my rate because that family is occupying a full time spot. You could replace them and keep the same level of income. That's great they are attending preschool, but you should not have to suffer financially for it, kwim?
momma2girls 05:52 PM 05-25-2012
I used to give a break on being gone for 3 hrs. for preschool about 4 yrs. ago. I would never give a discount anymore!! They are taking up a spot, plus it is very hard to keep track of. I had 3 girls at one time- going to preschool, 2 in the am, and one in the afternoon. I couldn't wait for them to start Kindergarten or an all day 4 yr. old program!! It was way too much!! Their schedules were- one MWF at 9am-11:00, one was T-T 12:00-3:00, and the other one T-T at 9-11:00, could you imagine???? It was not fun at all. I had to have each of them ready and send them out the door. There were 2 mothers that wanted me to carry their booster seats out to the cars, and get them both fastened in their car seats. I refused and said there is no way, I could do that!!! Then they made the poor driver do it.
mema 07:24 PM 05-25-2012
I don't change the price. It's their choice to send them, but they are taking a spot that wouldn't be able to be filled. When my kids went to dc I had to pay my regular weekly rate when they went to preschool and was totally fine with it. I have 1 that comes 3-4 days a week during the winter because dcd isn't as busy at work, but they still pay for all 5 days to make sure they have the spot the rest of the year.
CaliMom 10:20 AM 05-29-2012
Thank you for all the replies! The crazy thing is I do have a preschool program that I do here and the Mom loves what her son brings home and says he's learning so much here but she still wants to send him 2 days a week for a couple hours. So basically he will be missing preschool time with me so he can do it somewhere else, seems kinda silly to me but oh well. I will let her know I won't be giving her a discount for those hours.
My3cents 10:46 AM 05-29-2012
Originally Posted by CaliMom:
Thank you for all the replies! The crazy thing is I do have a preschool program that I do here and the Mom loves what her son brings home and says he's learning so much here but she still wants to send him 2 days a week for a couple hours. So basically he will be missing preschool time with me so he can do it somewhere else, seems kinda silly to me but oh well. I will let her know I won't be giving her a discount for those hours.
does she know this, really know this? This does seem silly. What is her reasoning for this? I would want to know, esp if your offering this service already

No discount- I agree. It is a spot you can't fill for those hours
CheekyChick 10:59 AM 05-29-2012
Absolutely! He is still taking up a full time spot, whether he is there or not.
CaliMom 11:13 AM 05-29-2012
Originally Posted by My3cents:
does she know this, really know this? This does seem silly. What is her reasoning for this? I would want to know, esp if your offering this service already

No discount- I agree. It is a spot you can't fill for those hours
Yes! She absolutely knows that I do a program here. She is a teacher so maybe she thinks that this is something that her kids just have to do before entering Kindergarten. I guess I should just be happy that that I'm getting paid whether he's here or not.
wdmmom 11:24 AM 05-29-2012
Nope!

To ensure the child's spot, they need to pay the full time rate regardless of attendance.

I just had this scenerio play out with a current client. DCB was gone 2 hours per day, 2 days per week. The rate did not lower. They are charged a weekly rate that is converted into a daily rate, not an hourly rate.

If DCM barks at you about a discount, simply tell her that the rate is not based on attendance, it is based on the weekly spot. If she's not happy paying the weekly rate, you can change her to hourly, however it goes up significantly.

Example: You charge $150 per week...$30 a day. Say the child will be attending a total of 37 hours versus 45. She wants to save money but paying hourly ($5), will actually increase her weekly rate to $185.00. See how that works! Full time rates are cheaper than part time. Tell her that and you shouldn't have to discuss money with her again.
My3cents 11:58 AM 05-29-2012
Yes! She absolutely knows that I do a program here. She is a teacher so maybe she thinks that this is something that her kids just have to do before entering Kindergarten. I guess I should just be happy that that I'm getting paid whether he's here or not.
Strange.

Bright side of it, you will get a break from the little joy and still be paid-

but strange- Why would she want to pay for a preschool program on top of daycare when her daycare is providing the same service. I don't get people.
CaliMom 12:29 PM 05-29-2012
Originally Posted by wdmmom:
Nope!

To ensure the child's spot, they need to pay the full time rate regardless of attendance.

I just had this scenerio play out with a current client. DCB was gone 2 hours per day, 2 days per week. The rate did not lower. They are charged a weekly rate that is converted into a daily rate, not an hourly rate.

If DCM barks at you about a discount, simply tell her that the rate is not based on attendance, it is based on the weekly spot. If she's not happy paying the weekly rate, you can change her to hourly, however it goes up significantly.

Example: You charge $150 per week...$30 a day. Say the child will be attending a total of 37 hours versus 45. She wants to save money but paying hourly ($5), will actually increase her weekly rate to $185.00. See how that works! Full time rates are cheaper than part time. Tell her that and you shouldn't have to discuss money with her again.
Great idea wdmmom! That will put things into perspective. It will actually cost you more if you want to complain!!! LOL
CaliMom 12:30 PM 05-29-2012
Strange.

but strange- Why would she want to pay for a preschool program on top of daycare when her daycare is providing the same service. I don't get people.
I don't get it either. Is it just to "say" that later on down the road, your child went to preschool? Paying double, if you ask me!
Blackcat31 01:57 PM 05-29-2012
I don't get it either. Is it just to "say" that later on down the road, your child went to preschool? Paying double, if you ask me!
Sadly because most parents do not view any curriculum offered in an in-home childcare with a mixed age group as "preschool". Here the general consensous is that family child care is family child care where as preschool is taught by an educated teacher in a school like setting.

I don't agree, but that is the norm for most parents in my area....despite what education and curriculum a provider offers, it is still NOT preschool in their eyes.
mac60 05:25 AM 05-30-2012
Strange.

I personally think it is a "status" quo with parents...Oh my little Johnny goes to so and so preschool. They have no problem paying for 4 hours per week of preschool, sending in over $40 worth of snacks when it is their child's turn to provide them, and no concept or care of the inconvenience to the provider.

Also, in our area, preschool teachers at the centers are no more "educated" than many home providers, actually "less" educated considering the ones that I know of.
Unregistered 05:45 AM 05-30-2012
My child goes to preschool (2x/w, 2h/d) for the social aspect of it. 20 kids vs. the 6 I have. I run a preschool program too.

Here, the preschools are more like social learning play groups with the same kids for an entire year. There is no staff turnover and very little student movement.

I happily drop off/pick up from the local preschool but charge for a full day. It works for me and I've never felt as though my program was being disregarded or that my DCP's were silly for wanting something extra for their child.

Different strokes for different folks, right?
SunshineMama 05:48 AM 05-30-2012
One of my moms wanted me to drive her 2 kids to preschool and give them a discount, for the monthly amount of the preschool. More work, more expense on my part (gas money), and less pay. I couldn't accommodate that. Even if I wanted to, I financially can't do it.

I do a preschool inspired program. I have Master's work in Education, and I work on activities with the kids all day long. I teach the kids all day long. We do crafts, math, hands on science, montessori activities, etc.

I do send my daughter to preschool, only because she needs to have experience outside of my home. Also, she is too mentally old for the daycare setting- she has outgrown it, and she tends to wear me out

I can see why a parent would want to pay less, but it is much easier for a provider to just replace that child and have the same amount of money, without the hassle and interruptions of children coming and going. Parents are paying for a spot, and hourly, part time care IS more expensive than full time care, so really they are already getting a discount.
Tags:preschool - rates
Reply Up