Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>OT-What Would You Do As A Parent
Country Kids 02:14 PM 09-26-2012
Posted in another section last week and today on problems my child is having with a teacher.

Child couldn't figure out some problems last night and said they would talk to teacher today. Teacher said don't worry we will go over in class and then they didn't. They just graded them and as they were grading them the teacher explained them so my child got them wrong.

What would you do. This teacher is only available before school even though my child has gone in a few times and teacher isn't there. I want to be able to talk to the teacher and not be rushed because school is going to start. We might get 10 min at the most. Also, I really need to be here at drop off in case parents need to discuss anything.

I really, really don't know where to go with this. I haven't emailed the teacher and it doesn't sound like they have time for it anyway. Would you just set up a time and talk this all over with the principal?

What sad is most parents have problems with the math teachers at this school. Parents complain and complain but the teachers stay. One of my older children the whole class was failing and the school did nothing! Teacher is still there 7 years later and parents are still complaining.
daycare 02:22 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
Posted in another section last week and today on problems my child is having with a teacher.

Child couldn't figure out some problems last night and said they would talk to teacher today. Teacher said don't worry we will go over in class and then they didn't. They just graded them and as they were grading them the teacher explained them so my child got them wrong.

What would you do. This teacher is only available before school even though my child has gone in a few times and teacher isn't there. I want to be able to talk to the teacher and not be rushed because school is going to start. We might get 10 min at the most. Also, I really need to be here at drop off in case parents need to discuss anything.

I really, really don't know where to go with this. I haven't emailed the teacher and it doesn't sound like they have time for it anyway. Would you just set up a time and talk this all over with the principal?

What sad is most parents have problems with the math teachers at this school. Parents complain and complain but the teachers stay. One of my older children the whole class was failing and the school did nothing! Teacher is still there 7 years later and parents are still complaining.
I feel ya CK...

last year I had an issue with my dd math teacher and I was not getting any where with the teacher so I went to the principal. YOu bet your bottom dollar that the situation was straightened out the very next day. I had a meeting in person with both of them and I was able to get the principal to see what was going on....Needless to say, the teacher is still at the school, but is no longer teaching math.

I had to threaten to take it to the school board to get my dd moved out of the class, that took about two weeks.

I would go to the principal if the teacher is not responding to you...
Country Kids 02:27 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by daycare:
I feel ya CK...

last year I had an issue with my dd math teacher and I was not getting any where with the teacher so I went to the principal. YOu bet your bottom dollar that the situation was straightened out the very next day. I had a meeting in person with both of them and I was able to get the principal to see what was going on....Needless to say, the teacher is still at the school, but is no longer teaching math.

I had to threaten to take it to the school board to get my dd moved out of the class, that took about two weeks.

I would go to the principal if the teacher is not responding to you...
I don't know if you read my post under the other section but the teacher is not even going to be at conferences!!!

What is it with math teachers? They seem to be the ones that get the most/biggest complaints and are the hardest ones to communicate with.
daycare 02:34 PM 09-26-2012
Originally Posted by Country Kids:
I don't know if you read my post under the other section but the teacher is not even going to be at conferences!!!

What is it with math teachers? They seem to be the ones that get the most/biggest complaints and are the hardest ones to communicate with.
i missed that sorry I had a super long night......my LO was haivng nightmares last night off and on all night... My older DS is in big trouble...Im gonna sell that game box that he has. I know he was playing bad video games in front of him yesterday while I was gone working with a new client I am training.....

So why can't the teacher be at the conference??
I don't know. Maybe because math sucks....lol you think my english is bad you should see my math...lmoa
Country Kids 02:36 PM 09-26-2012
i missed that sorry I had a super long night......my LO was haivng nightmares last night off and on all night... My older DS is in big trouble...Im gonna sell that game box that he has. I know he was playing bad video games in front of him yesterday while I was gone working with a new client I am training.....

So why can't the teacher be at the conference??
I don't know. Maybe because math sucks....lol you think my english is bad you should see my math...lmoa
Conference is on the night the team has a game so I'm big time guessing that where they will be. Does that seem wrong to you or am I just overreacting?
daycare 02:37 PM 09-26-2012
can they make the conference for another time or even do it via phone?

I could not make an important meeting this year and the principal was nice enough to include me with the teacher over speaker phone...
Country Kids 02:41 PM 09-26-2012
can they make the conference for another time or even do it via phone?

I could not make an important meeting this year and the principal was nice enough to include me with the teacher over speaker phone...
Not available afterschool at all right now. Pretty much through football season. Might be available in the mornings but kids would be in and out of the room I'm sure.

I'm just soooooo frustrated. I talked to hubs and asked him to write an email up and address some of these issues. Its funny when you put the husband on it how things suddenly change (at least in my experience). Also, my hubs won't be writing with the mama bear frustration in it.
sharlan 02:43 PM 09-26-2012
I think you are over reacting a bit. Teachers are paid to coach, therefore they have to be at the games. Teachers have lives, too.

Either the teacher or the principal needs to make time available for conferences. Make an appt with the principal and let him/her know that you have issues that need to be addressed with this teacher.
daycare 02:49 PM 09-26-2012
habeebty--------- You know that I am a coach too...and I am a teacher too..so I guess I can see where this teacher's responsibility lies.

I did not realize that the teacher was the football coach. This means he has obligations to both his class and team. I would ask the teacher via email and cc the principal when would be the best time to meet? Have the husband go. You can't always be there I know...I hate that, but if you cant set a reasonable time to go and met, then maybe you should just CC the principal on the emails that you send to the coach and try to get things accomplished that way.
jen 03:18 PM 09-26-2012
My advice is to start by sending an email to the teacher; going through the principal is a bit like calling licensing without approaching your provider first.

Also, I use Khan Academy in both my classroom and at home to help my students and my own kids with math.

http://www.khanacademy.org

I learned about Khan when student teaching...it is a FABULOUS resource.

Good luck!
cheerfuldom 03:20 PM 09-26-2012
It sounds like you probably wont get much response from the school, but I would talk to the teacher as well as the principal. Document everything and complain to the school board if necessary. Meanwhile, pursue your own tutor for your son. It really shouldnt be like that but unfortunately, it sounds like your options are limited.
Country Kids 04:39 PM 09-26-2012
Thank you everyone for listening and for your responses.

I know teachers have lifes also but all the teachers I know have to stay at the school till a certain time. Thats so if kids need help with work the teacher is avaliable. Even the elementary teachers. Especially in a class like math where some kids might not grasp it very easily. The first of the year sets precident usually for how its going to go the rest of the year.

Talked to someone about tutoring but they can only help really on the weekends. From what I see mine needs it almost nightly to really grasp what they are teaching. I can't afford $125 a week for tutoring-. Would love to be able to but...... It looks like they are building on daily to what the kids are learning so if they didn't learn it the first day they can't understand what going on on day 5.

Going to talk to the hubs some more and see what he says. I so wish we could have continued homeschooling but was impossible for me personally with the daycare. This child is doing very well in school though and the teachers love them.....its just math. Has been the same though with my other two though that went to this same school.
countrymom 06:22 AM 09-27-2012
do what I'm doing, tutoring once a week (cause thats all I can afford) but get him assessed firt with the company like I did.

second, a teacher teaching comes before being a coach. He has the obligation to provide his students with an education before football

send a note and ask for a response by a certain date (heck we deal with timelines all the time) if nothing is done, then go higher up, if the teacher doesn't show up, then its not your problem, give the principal a timeline too, then go higher up.
I will bet you that other parents are having a hard time too, sometimes all it takes is one person to start the ball rolling.

also, ask the school about tutoring or getting another teacher to help your child, you are you childs advocate (I grew up with parents who were european and had no idea how to deal with schools and such)
Reply Up