Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>KS Providers - QRIS/Stars Program etc..
Jack Sprat 11:27 AM 02-24-2015
Does the state of Kansas participate in QRIS? Is this an optional thing? I have talked to someone from Childcare Aware and the answer was very vague never saying yes or no..

After reading some posts about it I don't think I would enjoy it..
Annalee 11:33 AM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
Does the state of Kansas participate in QRIS? Is this an optional thing? I have talked to someone from Childcare Aware and the answer was very vague never saying yes or no..

I bet you have read posts from me! My state mandates the participation in QRIS and it is not enjoyable to say the least
Jack Sprat 11:43 AM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by Annalee:
I bet you have read posts from me! My state mandates the participation in QRIS and it is not enjoyable to say the least
Yours and many others the past two years.

Seriously, I am happy with my program, my families are happy, my dcks are learning, growing, and are kept safe. I am always reading and looking for ways to improve myself and my daycare. I really, really don't want anyone coming in and observing me. It's hard enough when the food lady comes and she is the sweetest woman in the world. I can't imagine having someone like the people I have read about.
Blackcat31 12:42 PM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:

Here is the info for your state.

https://occqrisguide.icfwebservices....nfo&stateID=66

Looks like there are some incentives for you to participate.
Jack Sprat 12:49 PM 02-24-2015
Thanks BC!! I figured out that my county isn't eligible for KQRIS...Sadly, a lot of great resources (Smart Start) were cut recently as well.
NoMoreJuice! 08:17 PM 02-24-2015
Out of curiosity, what does it take to get a good star rating? And what is considered good, 3+ stars? Is it difficult to get enough points to get a good rating? I am always interested in ways to enhance my program, and if QRIS goes mandatory for us in the next few years (which is probable) I'd like to be ahead of the game.
Annalee 04:38 AM 02-25-2015
Originally Posted by NoMoreJuice!:
Out of curiosity, what does it take to get a good star rating? And what is considered good, 3+ stars? Is it difficult to get enough points to get a good rating? I am always interested in ways to enhance my program, and if QRIS goes mandatory for us in the next few years (which is probable) I'd like to be ahead of the game.
We get a report card with components on it, but our's all hinges around the assessment score. No matter what your professional development, parent involvement, developmental learning standards, or business practices are, the program assessment holds all the weight. The score has to be a 4 or above to even make the grade for any star..... My suggestion has been to loosen up and give credit for other areas decreasing the weight of assessment....or make the assessment on the make of NAFCC Accreditation which is much more provider friendly or if a provider receives a certain star/s, allow them to wait that many years before being assessed again. Then there would be a reward and might give providers incentive to accept the QRIS!
Reply Up