Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>New Sleep Study...
Jack Sprat 12:18 PM 02-24-2015
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/289633.php

My DH mentioned this article the same day a dcm mentioned that dcb wasn't falling asleep till 10-10:30. I still firmly believe that if a child falls asleep within 15 minutes of laying down then they need the sleep. I think it varies child to child.
Blackcat31 12:34 PM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by Jack Sprat:
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/289633.php

My DH mentioned this article the same day a dcm mentioned that dcb wasn't falling asleep till 10-10:30. I still firmly believe that if a child falls asleep within 15 minutes of laying down then they need the sleep. I think it varies child to child.
When my daycare parents start proving their child is getting a FULL 11-13 hours of sleep per night, I'll "think" about adjusting nap times.

"The NSF offer the following sleep tips for children aged 3-5 years, who should typically sleep between 11-13 hours each night"

Sadly though it is a rare parent that is home and routine enough to actually give their child quality sound sleep.

They are usually out and about, at sporting practices or worse...watching TV until they zonk out... NONE of that qualifies as quality in my book.

Falling asleep at 10-10:30 would mean sleeping in until 9 am. Is he at daycare before then?

Also, I WANT my parents to have face time with their kid so that means unless the parent puts them to bed immediately after pick up, most my DCKs wouldn't be able to attain 11-13 hours of sleep in a day without an afternoon nap.
Unregistered 12:40 PM 02-24-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
When my daycare parents start proving their child is getting a FULL 11-13 hours of sleep per night, I'll "think" about adjusting nap times.

"The NSF offer the following sleep tips for children aged 3-5 years, who should typically sleep between 11-13 hours each night"

Sadly though it is a rare parent that is home and routine enough to actually give their child quality sound sleep.

They are usually out and about, at sporting practices or worse...watching TV until they zonk out... NONE of that qualifies as quality in my book.

Falling asleep at 10-10:30 would mean sleeping in until 9 am. Is he at daycare before then?

Also, I WANT my parents to have face time with their kid so that means unless the parent puts them to bed immediately after pick up, most my DCKs wouldn't be able to attain 11-13 hours of sleep in a day without an afternoon nap.
Exactly!
Second Home 01:38 PM 02-24-2015
I saw this on the today show and thought " oh man , here we go with all the requests for no naps " .
mamamanda 05:45 PM 02-24-2015
I am pretty routine with my children and my 3 y.o. gets right at 11 hours of sleep each night, sometimes slightly more. Even so, there are days he tells me he is tired & asks if he can lay down. He typically does "blanket time" with a quiet activity in lieu of a nap, but sometimes he's just exhausted. I think if a kid falls asleep when they lay down for rest time then they need a nap & no amount of crazy sleep studies will change my mind. If parents stayed home with their kids more nap time wouldn't even be a discussion...lol it would be a given That's just my opinion.
Jack Sprat 11:21 AM 02-25-2015
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:

"The NSF offer the following sleep tips for children aged 3-5 years, who should typically sleep between 11-13 hours each night" I posted an article on sleep and how much a child needs to FB page.

Falling asleep at 10-10:30 would mean sleeping in until 9 am. Is he at daycare before then? He gets here at 7:45. Two days a week he is in school by 8:00. Funny thing is, he has a tv in the bedroom, that older brother has said they watch till they fall asleep.

daycarediva 11:40 AM 02-25-2015
From reading the article, they took 26 different studies, pooled the information together and formed this theory. It isn't a legitimate study, but a compilation of other studies-which are not listed.

Originally Posted by :
After pooling the findings of these studies, the authors found evidence that daytime napping beyond the age of 2 resulted in a longer amount of time required for a child to get to sleep, coupled with shorter overall durations of night-time sleep.
-Is this a disciplinary issue? A parent putting a child to BED at 7?

-My dcks CANNOT get 11-13 hours of sleep at home. So yes, shorter durations of nighttime sleep is inevitable when they nap.

Originally Posted by :
Due to the differences between the studies analyzed in the review, the authors found it difficult to make a connection between napping and any detrimental impact on behavior, development and overall health.
^ There was no definitive conclusion. Why is this being touted about as fact?

Originally Posted by :
According to the National Sleep Foundation (NSF), children spend around 40% of their childhood asleep. The NSF offer the following sleep tips for children aged 3-5 years, who should typically sleep between 11-13 hours each night:
◾Maintain a regular sleep schedule
◾Create a relaxing bedtime routine, ending in the room that the child sleeps in
◾Children should sleep in the same environment each night; a cool, quiet and dark room without a TV.
-not one of my families can offer 11-13 hours of sleep with both parents working or they would have ZERO face time with their children. Even on weekends, my daycare kids maintain the same bedtimes (or later) and some nap, some don't. The ones who don't nap are SO miserable and sleep deprived Monday that some nap a GOOD 3 hours.

-Only 2 have regular sleep schedules.

-All but ONE have a tv in their rooms, 5 are allowed to watch until they fall asleep. 1 is allowed to watch a show and then parents do a quick kiss goodnight after the show.

-The one WITHOUT the tv is also the one WITH a good bedtime routine and the one who has a Mom that WANTS to spend time with her and we have tweaked their home routine so that she still naps HERE so Mom can SEE HER at night after dinner.

I call BS on this "study". I could also pull up several better executed studies on the importance of napping.
Josiegirl 03:15 AM 02-26-2015
My favorite bedtime ritual when my own kids were little(awhile back I must admit)always ALWAYS included cuddling with my child and reading a story. Do parents do that anymore? I know one of my dcfs have tvs in each of their children's rooms. Why oh why is that even necessary???

Are dcps so rushed through their days they don't have time at night, to settle their children down, cozy in with them, get them to relax, and let them wander off into dreamland? Do they really think a tv is going to give them all that??

Sorry, but being someone who dislikes television anyways, then seeing children without a parental presence when there should be one, just makes me a little upset. Mostly for what that child is missing out on. Yes, parents are harried. But so are we!! I've always done dc with my own kids and had to run a household too. Not a whole lot different.
Play Care 03:21 AM 02-26-2015
Originally Posted by daycarediva:
From reading the article, they took 26 different studies, pooled the information together and formed this theory. It isn't a legitimate study, but a compilation of other studies-which are not listed.

-Is this a disciplinary issue? A parent putting a child to BED at 7?

-My dcks CANNOT get 11-13 hours of sleep at home. So yes, shorter durations of nighttime sleep is inevitable when they nap.

^ There was no definitive conclusion. Why is this being touted about as fact?

-not one of my families can offer 11-13 hours of sleep with both parents working or they would have ZERO face time with their children. Even on weekends, my daycare kids maintain the same bedtimes (or later) and some nap, some don't. The ones who don't nap are SO miserable and sleep deprived Monday that some nap a GOOD 3 hours.

-Only 2 have regular sleep schedules.

-All but ONE have a tv in their rooms, 5 are allowed to watch until they fall asleep. 1 is allowed to watch a show and then parents do a quick kiss goodnight after the show.

-The one WITHOUT the tv is also the one WITH a good bedtime routine and the one who has a Mom that WANTS to spend time with her and we have tweaked their home routine so that she still naps HERE so Mom can SEE HER at night after dinner.

I call BS on this "study". I could also pull up several better executed studies on the importance of napping.

Last week there was a study on how kids who have consistent day time naps score higher on I.Q. tests....
Peaches 02:59 PM 03-04-2015
totally agree
Reply Up