Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Argumentative SA DCB
LindseyA 07:11 AM 05-13-2016
So dcb7 comes everyday to get on the bus only. No exaggeration - he argues EVERY statement made within the whole 30 minutes he is here. Everyday.
I say, "It's a little chilly this morning, you need to put on your sweatshirts to wait for the bus." Dcb says, "No it's not."
I say, "There's only a month left of school! Who's getting excited for summer vacation?" Dcb says, "No there's 29 more days of school."
He argues with the other kids and his brother as well. It's driving me batty! And I only see him for a half an hour every morning! I am sticking with him, since he won't be here during the summer months (whew!)
My question would be, is there any tricks to curb his behavior before I snap?
laundrymom 07:31 AM 05-13-2016
"You seem to be having an ugly attitude this morning. You may sit in this chair and wait for your bus. Maybe you will have a nicer attitude tomorrow"

And give him no more attention.
VWMom 07:39 AM 05-13-2016
I feel ya sister! I LITERALLY had to break up a fight between two dc brothers this morning who were arguing over if my grandfather clock was a boy or girl! WTH?!?
Play Care 08:19 AM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by laundrymom:
"You seem to be having an ugly attitude this morning. You may sit in this chair and wait for your bus. Maybe you will have a nicer attitude tomorrow"

This.

I have a DCB who does this (also 7) with his parents and teachers and other kids (though not with me )
And his parents are always wondering why he gets picked on.
christine19720 09:06 AM 05-13-2016

This. And no further engagement.
daycarediva 09:31 AM 05-13-2016

I would also add that he CANNOT TALK while he is sitting out. If you can't chose polite words, you can chose NO words.

and DO NOT show that it bothers you one iota!
laundrymom 09:45 AM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by daycarediva:

I would also add that he CANNOT TALK while he is sitting out. If you can't chose polite words, you can chose NO words.

and DO NOT show that it bothers you one iota!
Yep!!!! Even if you are clawing your insides out. You ignore ignore ignore.

"I'm talking to you!!!!!"
You can talk to me tomorrow. Shhh"
Walk away.
Stay strong.
It seems the more you cave the longer it lasts and the longer you ignore, the louder and more annoying they get. It's basically a game of who will crack first.

But the day will come when he will walk in and be nice. THATS when he gets praise.
thrivingchildcarecom 10:18 AM 05-13-2016
Right!!!
Rockgirl 11:29 AM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by VWMom:
I feel ya sister! I LITERALLY had to break up a fight between two dc brothers this morning who were arguing over if my grandfather clock was a boy or girl! WTH?!?
Lol! This sounds like my preschool girls. They will argue over anything!
AmyKidsCo 11:33 AM 05-13-2016
Sounds like my 11 yr old! I once said to him "You argue with me so much I'll bet you'd argue if I said the sky was blue." And he said "No it's not, it's gray today."

I'd try not to make any definitive statements, like instead of "You need to put on your sweatshirts to wait for the bus" I'd say "I'd wear a sweatshirt because it seems cold to me."

I also tell my son that I don't play the "Exact Game" and I'll be happy to talk with him later when he can be more agreeable.
LindseyA 11:46 AM 05-13-2016
I will try next week to have him sit out, but in reality, I can't see that meshing well. He eats breakfast here and that takes 10 - 15 minutes of his half hour. I can't put him in a time out when he hasn't eaten yet. And I can see him catching on to that as well. Quick as whip, this Kid! Thank you AmyKidsCo... I never realized until I made this post, that he plays the 'Exact Game'! I will also try not to make any more definitive statements.
finsup 12:04 PM 05-13-2016
I would just agree with him and ignore it all together. He wants to say it's 29 days vs a month? I'd just be like "yup dcb, 29 days, fair enough" and move on. Saying it's not cold when it is. "Gotcha dcb, put your jacket on." They eventually catch on that it no longer bothers you and therefore isn't nearly as much fun I just went through this lovely phase with my own kid...*sigh* lol.
Blackcat31 12:17 PM 05-13-2016
Originally Posted by finsup:
I would just agree with him and ignore it all together. He wants to say it's 29 days vs a month? I'd just be like "yup dcb, 29 days, fair enough" and move on. Saying it's not cold when it is. "Gotcha dcb, put your jacket on." They eventually catch on that it no longer bothers you and therefore isn't nearly as much fun I just went through this lovely phase with my own kid...*sigh* lol.
This is usually the route I take as well.

I just say "Yep, Uh-huh" and keep on rolling... It usually takes the wind out of their sails to see that I'm not engaging and not playing his/her game.

That usually sucks the fun out of it for them
Ariana 12:33 PM 05-13-2016
This is my niece who is 8 to a T. Her dad is the exact same way! Luckily I only have to deal with it when she sleeps over once a month. It is annoying for sure but if she is correct I concede. I think kids who do this feel "small" and need to feel confident. So if I said "a month left to school" and she said "no its 29 days", i would say something like "yes you are right there is 29, thanks for letting us know, you really know the days in a month".
sharlan 12:46 PM 05-13-2016
I'm having an issue with this right now, too. I just started a 6 yo on Monday. (Yes, I've sworn up and down a million times that I wouldn't take another SA child.)

What I'm having a bigger problem with is her "one up"manship. Grandson mentioned that a little boy accidently kiced him on the playground and it felt like he broke his nose. Dcg - a boy punched me in the nose at school and broke my nose and there was blood everywhere. I just kept bleeding and bleeding and bleeding. I mentioned to sil that a lizard jumped from the block wall to the pool railing. Dcg - oh, we have hundreds of lizards on our swimming pool cover. Me - oh, you have a pool? Dcg - yeah, but we don't have it anymore. Other dcg started talking about a play her classroom just did, how she was a red pepper. Dcg - Me, too! My school just did the same play and I was a red pepper too. Me - what were your lines. Dcg - oh, I forgot. It just goes on and on every day. I have her 5 1/2 hrs a day and I look forward to taking her to afternoon K everyday.
Thriftylady 02:26 PM 05-13-2016
I thought it was just the girls! I have this DCG 7! I usually just tell her firmly "I am not going to argue with you". But her arguments are over other things. "Put your toy away", "well I was leaving it out for X to play with", "put it away", "but....".

Drives me bonkers.
Tags:argumentative, mouthy, sassy
Reply Up