Default Style Register
Daycare.com Forum
Daycare Center and Family Home Forum>Indoor Climbing Ideas
jenboo 07:57 AM 12-13-2016
I need help brainstorming indoor climbing/ gross motor ideas for kiddos under 2. My dcks are getting bored. They need something to play on.
My problem is that funds are limited and im picky.
It needs to be compact, not brightly colored and be toddler sized.

Any ideas???
Blackcat31 09:21 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by jenboo:
I need help brainstorming indoor climbing/ gross motor ideas for kiddos under 2. My dcks are getting bored. They need something to play on.
My problem is that funds are limited and im picky.
It needs to be compact, not brightly colored and be toddler sized.

Any ideas???
A small climber?

Over turned chairs, a balance beam, a LOT of masking tape (create areas/games) a bridge or a tunnel....

Any of those things can be utilized in gross motor play.

I keep a small Little Tikes climbing cube inside in the winter months for that purpose but I understand that most people don't have the space for such a thing.
jenboo 09:32 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by Blackcat31:
A small climber?

Over turned chairs, a balance beam, a LOT of masking tape (create areas/games) a bridge or a tunnel....

Any of those things can be utilized in gross motor play.

I keep a small Little Tikes climbing cube inside in the winter months for that purpose but I understand that most people don't have the space for such a thing.
I can't find a small climber anywhere
I thought of a small balance beam but my only Ones who can walk, trip over thin air 😂
Controlled Chaos 09:49 AM 12-13-2016
Giant Building blocks.i have mine outside now, but if we get into a bad air spell, I bring them in and we make tunnels to climb over and through.
jenboo 10:01 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
Giant Building blocks.i have mine outside now, but if we get into a bad air spell, I bring them in and we make tunnels to climb over and through.
Do you have a link?
Blackcat31 10:10 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by Controlled Chaos:
I have a set of these and the kids them!

I soooo want to buy some more because they are so loved and because Target has them on sale at an excellent price (normally $99) but I just don't have the space.

...although I might just anyways.... but shhhhh! Don't tell my hubs....
jenboo 10:37 AM 12-13-2016
I have a set of these and the kids them!

I soooo want to buy some more because they are so loved and because Target has them on sale at an excellent price (normally $99) but I just don't have the space.

...although I might just anyways.... but shhhhh! Don't tell my hubs....
Are you talking about blocks? I didn't see them in the ad
lovemydaycare0912 10:50 AM 12-13-2016
Are you talking about the big waffle blocks set?

I have the foamnasium items like the 2 piece climber, caterpillar, 2 wacky sak balls, and the 4 piece one that is the big block, stairs, and 2 triangle like pieces that act as slides. I also have a little tykes step 2 slide. I just bought the peek a boo ecr4kids caterpillar. Kids can climb in it because it's a tunnel, and they can climb and sit on top. Those are my favorite items. Some I bought new, some I bought used off a Facebook group. I need a larger space now lol
LysesKids 10:51 AM 12-13-2016
I believe she's talking about the waffle blocks that hook together... less than $70 right now & I have a Target card... yeah another 5% off lol. Guess I'm heading there tonight, my older babies would love these
jenboo 11:33 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by LysesKids:
I believe she's talking about the waffle blocks that hook together... less than $70 right now & I have a Target card... yeah another 5% off lol. Guess I'm heading there tonight, my older babies would love these
oooo. ok. I got excited that something was in my price range but I'm not sure my dcks would be able to use those. The majority of my kids are under 14 months.
jenboo 11:37 AM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Are you talking about the big waffle blocks set?

I have the foamnasium items like the 2 piece climber, caterpillar, 2 wacky sak balls, and the 4 piece one that is the big block, stairs, and 2 triangle like pieces that act as slides. I also have a little tykes step 2 slide. I just bought the peek a boo ecr4kids caterpillar. Kids can climb in it because it's a tunnel, and they can climb and sit on top. Those are my favorite items. Some I bought new, some I bought used off a Facebook group. I need a larger space now lol
This the stuff I want but it is all so expensive...if you only had around $100 to spend, what foamnasium stuff would you buy?
Blackcat31 11:39 AM 12-13-2016
Yes! Im sorry I didnt eloborate very well...

Your kiddos don't have to build anything themselves but you could! They're easy to assemble and reassemble in tons of different variations. They're sturdy so they can definitely take some climbing etc..

Lots of uses for these blocks in my opinion.
jenboo 11:53 AM 12-13-2016
Yes! Im sorry I didnt eloborate very well...

Your kiddos don't have to build anything themselves but you could! They're easy to assemble and reassemble in tons of different variations. They're sturdy so they can definitely take some climbing etc..

Lots of uses for these blocks in my opinion.
I hate building....but ill check them out for the kids' sake
Miss A 12:12 PM 12-13-2016
My Littles are all 19 months and under, and are big into crawling, creeping, and climbing right now. The biggest hit in my home is the pop up play tent and tunnel. Neither match, but I don't care as I fold them down and stick them in the close each night. Amazon has them for $35 new, both of mine came from thrift stores. I also bought a small Step 2 brand sports themed climber and slide from Amazon, and a Fisher Price Crawl Through Learning Center. Both were $30.

Some of our favorite climbers cost nothing though. Empty laundry baskets to push around and sit in, empty diaper boxes, a childs step stool they drag around and step up on, ice cream pails are used as stools to sit on etc. It looks like a crazy mix-match of stuff during the day, but it all gets put away at the end of the day and I get my house back.
jenboo 12:21 PM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by Miss A:
My Littles are all 19 months and under, and are big into crawling, creeping, and climbing right now. The biggest hit in my home is the pop up play tent and tunnel. Neither match, but I don't care as I fold them down and stick them in the close each night. Amazon has them for $35 new, both of mine came from thrift stores. I also bought a small Step 2 brand sports themed climber and slide from Amazon, and a Fisher Price Crawl Through Learning Center. Both were $30.

Some of our favorite climbers cost nothing though. Empty laundry baskets to push around and sit in, empty diaper boxes, a childs step stool they drag around and step up on, ice cream pails are used as stools to sit on etc. It looks like a crazy mix-match of stuff during the day, but it all gets put away at the end of the day and I get my house back.
Mine are learning to run and jump. They are also really into climbing. I have a bunch of buckets they climb in and sit on. I have the tents and tunnel but they just collapse them.

They are an easy but difficult group. They need to be challenged. I have a pikler triangle but they are bored of it.
cassiesue 12:38 PM 12-13-2016
What are your thoughts on a ball pit? I just ordered this for the under 3 play-room:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E2X47SG?psc=1

I already have a small one and the babies really enjoy it. The only down side is the cleaning and sanitizing of the balls. But since they enjoy it so much, I feel it is worth it.

I'm thinking about ordering this too:

https://www.amazon.com/Step2-Panda-C...s+for+toddlers

It is not too big or brightly colored. Currently I have the small indoor little tikes slide.
LysesKids 12:57 PM 12-13-2016
oooo. ok. I got excited that something was in my price range but I'm not sure my dcks would be able to use those. The majority of my kids are under 14 months.
I've got one that is almost 18 months and then one that is almost a year... they both climb all over the chairs, sofas & trunks so I'm pretty sure I can get some use lol.. and yes my littlest is a monkey. He showed off his stepping skills over the weekend ( 5 steps in a row in front of 12 people); Mom was so proud lol
Blackcat31 01:07 PM 12-13-2016
Originally Posted by cassiesue:
What are your thoughts on a ball pit? I just ordered this for the under 3 play-room:
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01E2X47SG?psc=1
I have a couple of those pop open tents and the tunnels.

They are fun but most my toddlers want to lay on the top of it or roll on top of it....usually only when someone else is inside, thus scaring the heck out of the one crawling through so most of my toddlers are hesitant to crawl through it...

I love the ball pits too but they seem to get a bit out of hand with the throwing so I bring it out only when I am desperate for something new or for some good indoor movement activity.
jenboo 02:16 PM 12-13-2016
I have a couple of those pop open tents and the tunnels.

They are fun but most my toddlers want to lay on the top of it or roll on top of it....usually only when someone else is inside, thus scaring the heck out of the one crawling through so most of my toddlers are hesitant to crawl through it...

I love the ball pits too but they seem to get a bit out of hand with the throwing so I bring it out only when I am desperate for something new or for some good indoor movement activity.
My toddlers are the same with the tunnels. I just ordered a blow up pool to use as a ball pit. I also just picked up a few hundred balls from the yard since the snow melted.
lovemydaycare0912 03:26 PM 12-13-2016
Jenboo,

They are expensive if bought new. I found most of mine through daycare buy and sell groups on FB. I was so fortunate the woman had over bought and only had them for 3 months. If I had $100 I would get either the 2 piece climber because the kids love to jump on it or use it as a stage but I don't know how much it is Brand new. The 4 piece with the stairs and slides I bought new for $160 I think. But like others said you can go on pinter estate if you aren't savvy like me and see what other people have done using household items. I'm a visual person. I've also made obstacle courses but that only lasts about 15 minutes.

I once bought the Jumpolene bouncy house and it lasted a few months before someone poked it and it broke. That was $50. I have a tunnel play thing from toys r us I spent maybe 60 on that I bring out when I'm in desperate need of something. The kids don't know how to act and like to jump on top of each other for it. I can pm you pics if you'd like tonight.
jenboo 05:14 AM 12-14-2016
Originally Posted by lovemydaycare0912:
Jenboo,

They are expensive if bought new. I found most of mine through daycare buy and sell groups on FB. I was so fortunate the woman had over bought and only had them for 3 months. If I had $100 I would get either the 2 piece climber because the kids love to jump on it or use it as a stage but I don't know how much it is Brand new. The 4 piece with the stairs and slides I bought new for $160 I think. But like others said you can go on pinter estate if you aren't savvy like me and see what other people have done using household items. I'm a visual person. I've also made obstacle courses but that only lasts about 15 minutes.

I once bought the Jumpolene bouncy house and it lasted a few months before someone poked it and it broke. That was $50. I have a tunnel play thing from toys r us I spent maybe 60 on that I bring out when I'm in desperate need of something. The kids don't know how to act and like to jump on top of each other for it. I can pm you pics if you'd like tonight.
I haven't found any of these types of things on sale pages around here I think I picked out two different climbers though.
jenboo 05:21 AM 12-14-2016
I think I am going to pick between one of these for now.
Does anyone have experience?

https://www.amazon.com/Step2-Panda-C.../dp/B0085Y831Q

http://www.lostsoulentertainment.net...ent&pd=9152337

https://www.wayfairsupply.com/Foamna...-FOAM1062.html

https://www.wayfairsupply.com/ECR4ki...30-NY2278.html
Tags:climbing, indoor climbing ideas, indoor play equipment
Reply Up